Battleforge Free (Includes no points)

Kelv

Limp Gawd
The full version of BattleForge is now available. It is the same as the normal retail but it no longer includes points. The retail version is being phased out and their focusing on gaining all money from selling points. I'm surprised no ones posted it yet.

edit:

Yesterday douglatins posted this in the free games forum

BattleForge is free now

i watched a vid on it, looks pretty cool. Is it like an mmoish rts? Or is it a pure rts like Warcraft 3 where you start clean every time.

bump for any actual players on [H]...

been itching to jump on board but want some thoughts from people who have been playing it in the past...

it's just an RTS game where you can pick and choose what units you want to be able to build. It isn't anything special.

You just can only pick from your "deck"

Bump also

my IGN is Carlin

feel free to add me, then send me your dupes/spares lmao

Its actually really pretty fun so far. For a RTS with a lot of units, its fun. No base building, no resource gathering outside of having to capture nodes.

Be aware it's a pretty massive download. you initially download a stub installer and it will download the whole enchilada for you. During the beta test it was ~8-10 GB or so I believe. It was OK to me, I would never have bought it per se, but now that it's free, I'll give it another try.

What exactly am I missing out on with the free version?

What are points for?
Here's what I can tell you but even I'm not 100% confident in the information I'm about to share. Hopefully someone can correct me if I do say something false.

What your missing out on the free version is some of the cards that come with the retail version. You start out with a limited section of cards in the free version and then I guess you get some after completing some single player/mutliplayer.

The points are for purchasing new cards. Think microsoft xbox live points (yeah I'd rather just use money too). If anyone gets into this, it seems like this may be a good place to purchase points. http://www.g2play.net/store/Battleforge-6000-points-and-128-cards-power-bundle.html
Using that with the free version and for the price you'd be well ahead in terms of cards than the retail version.

I think its very interesting so far but the levels which are multiplayer co-op seem very long to complete. Also the game hard crashes sometimes. I thought at one point, it was because I was viewing a lot of units however I have 4GB of ram (3 something under windows xp)

That's really frustrating. I also think the chat system is terrible, text is too small and nobody communicates, probably because of how its integrated.

The game is very easy to play and the main controls seem very intuitive. Just click the card on the bottom and place it where ever. Also the cards that cannot be played at the time are recessed. Creating your own decks is easy and I like the environment at the menu screen where you can create your own battles against AI bots.

I'm probably gonna try more but I'll occupy myself with the League of Legends beta for now.

Edit: Unit animations are very cool and I like the variety of creatures.I think it basically lacks some of the Blizzard polish that I'm used to.

Last edited:
Be aware it's a pretty massive download. you initially download a stub installer and it will download the whole enchilada for you. During the beta test it was ~8-10 GB or so I believe. It was OK to me, I would never have bought it per se, but now that it's free, I'll give it another try.

Downloaded 2.6 gigs and the full install is 7.66 gigs

Not too shabby if you ask me.

Downloaded 2.6 gigs and the full install is 7.66 gigs

Not too shabby if you ask me.

Heh, that makes more sense. I was going to respond to that question above because I thought it was somewhere in the 2's. Then I checked the folder and it said 8ish so I deleted the response.

So are the points the only way to get new cards or what? I have gone through all the basic single player missions and am starting on the advanced and have only gotten upgrades.

Ok so there is no way to get new cards without shelling out some cash. That would be ok except PVP with what they give you is an absolute joke. The difficulty curve from normal to advanced is steep

Still on the fence whether i really like it or not, it has some aspects that are really cool but i dont like the cash shop MMO mentality that to really be competitive you need to pay.

It seems you can also get cards for winning certain battles, and trading them with players.

It seems you can also get cards for winning certain battles, and trading them with players.

What battles would those be? So far all i have seen are upgrades and i have done all of the standard battles and most of the advanced ones.

3.15. How can I get cards?

There is an in-game marketplace where you can trade cards with other players. Additionally, you can buy cards in booster packs directly in the game.

The FAQ makes no mention either.

I thought you could "wager" on PVP battles? I've not PVPed but that is what I've heard. Winner takes the wagered cards etc..

I thought you could "wager" on PVP battles? I've not PVPed but that is what I've heard. Winner takes the wagered cards etc..

Not that i have seen, not that it matters anyway you stand no chance at all in pvp with the cards you get with the free version.

Ok, I've actually gotten kinda good at this game

my IGN is Carlin if anyone needs help

Back