Battlefield had a sell-by-date of July 15th, and it's gone sour

donahue

Gawd
I had the 1.02 patch installed but it wasn't showing more than 30 ranked servers. I reinstall the game and now half the time I try to log in it encounters an error and I must ctrl+alt+del after about 3 minutes. Even when I do log in I get the same problem as with the 1.02 patch. I know many people have had this problem, anyone solve it? I tried ASE and it sees about 6,000 servers but it launches battlefield, logs me in and does nothing. What a lazy game.

1) Uninstall.
2) Reinstall in 6 months when it works.
3) ???
4) Profit.

No clue, never heard of this before... Try reinstalling again...

Do you have the correct ports open? Do you have hyperthreading on? Are you running on overclocked hardware? Do you have the latest network adaptor drivers?

We narrowed it down to the install method in another thread (Alright, BF2, aka the fuck fuck fuck thread).

Are the battlefield files all on one hard drive and is that hard drive the same one that Windows is on? If not, then change it, that solved the other guys problems.

If that doesn't work then I think this is something new and we will all be seeing it pretty soon.

donahue said:
I had the 1.02 patch installed but it wasn't showing more than 30 ranked servers. I reinstall the game and now half the time I try to log in it encounters an error and I must ctrl+alt+del after about 3 minutes. Even when I do log in I get the same problem as with the 1.02 patch. I know many people have had this problem, anyone solve it? I tried ASE and it sees about 6,000 servers but it launches battlefield, logs me in and does nothing. What a lazy game.
Works perfectly for me. Run it at 1600x1200 at max everything with no problems. Haven't had a crash in hundred of hours of gameplay. Good luck finding what the problem is with your system.

Works perfectly for me. Run it at 1600x1200 at max everything with no problems. Haven't had a crash in hundred of hours of gameplay. Good luck finding what the problem is with your system.

OMG YOU OWN EVERYONE!

bjork said:
OMG YOU OWN EVERYONE!

i am the same, although not all max settings, but am i owning almost everyone?

finalgt said:
1) Uninstall.
3) ???
4) Profit.

underpants gnomes rule ;)

Hey, this is the author of the famous (infamous?) fuck fuck fuck thread. As ninethreeeleven said, make sure everything (Windows and BF2) are on the same drive. Don't know why, but that, for me, caused the game to slowly erode into a pile of shit. But for now, at least, it works. We'll see how long it takes for the game to find something else about my computer that it disagrees with. Maybe it'll decide not to like two-tone, black and silver cases, and refuse to work until I buy an EA/DICE-approved fuschia-colored case. One with little pink flowers airbrushed on the sides.

PNut12345 said:
As ninethreeeleven said, make sure everything (Windows and BF2) are on the same drive. Don't know why, but that, for me, caused the game to slowly erode into a pile of shit.

This is weird...I have it on a seperate drive and I havent had any problems....I have been following quite a few threads on a few forums about the problems people are having.
it seems to be random shit, the game works for some folks, and not for others....
I have read a few post's where people had almost the same hardware, and one worked great, and the other didnt?????

I installed the patch and it seems to have fixed the browser stutter, thats about the only issue I have had.....

I gotta say though, ther game is a dissapointment for me...I guess I was expecting too much :)

finalgt said:
1) Uninstall.
3) ???
4) Profit.

You forgot 2 steps.

1. Buy the game in 6 months at $9.99 clearance.
2. Install 4GB of ram

weebling1 said:
change the flux capicitor and correct for the proper time continuum

worked 4 me :)

As in, you went 8 months into the future and downloaded the 1.5 patch, and now everything works as it should?

I just remembered that one day I saw servers but could not connect to any, found out it was my Firewall blocking port 520 or 540, can't remember exactly. That might be one of the problems you guys are facing. Check your firewall logs and see if its blocking one of those ports.

pistol222 said:
As in, you went 8 months into the future and downloaded the 1.5 patch, and now everything works as it should?

MARTY !!!!

we must send you ..... <insert dramatic pause> BACK TO THE FUTURE

When I was much younger, high school, there was an auto teacher who wore a white lab coat type thing, and had a birds nest of a white fro. Ohh the stuff we put him through. He always thought we called him Doc because of the white lab coat he wore.

I remember some guy attached a distributor with only 3 wires overtop of the carburetor / throttle body. When the teacher saw it, he asked what the hell the kid was doing, he very calmly said he was installing the flux capacitor and then asked if the science department had any spare plutonium.

:D

quote:
"As in, you went 8 months into the future and downloaded the 1.5 patch, and now everything works as it should?"

YESH!
we are currently using patch 1.98.01a.9 as distributed on 21each 5-1/4" floppy discs by EA-VALVE-IRS. For speady downloads you can use the mega-game-conglomerates new service !SLUDGE! now operating at vastly de-celerated speeds!

(please remember, discouraging/slanderous remarks about EA-VALVE-IRS is *UN-patriotic* and may result in the termination of your account and/or audit)

Holy crap.

Just reinstalled BF2 for a second time. Applied patch 1.01 then 1.02. I try to join an EA server, gets to 25% loaded and I get a memory error. I thought that was what the 1.02 patch was supposed to fix. Good job, EA. Anyone else have this problem? I hear there is a 1.02a patch, where is a mirror?

By the way, I don't want any bullshit replies saying "uninstall BF2, reinstall in 6 months with version 1.5" because those gay ass responses don't help anyone. They are your opinion, and don't go into every BF2 help thread and post it. We don't need your bitter comments because you can't play it either and are too lazy to try and get it to work.

*end rant*

DONT re-install the 1.01 patch next time!
(is this one of those "i knew it was bad but just couldn't stop myself" things ?)

just do 1.02

weebling1 said:
DONT re-install the 1.01 patch next time!
(is this one of those "i knew it was bad but just couldn't stop myself" things ?)

just do 1.02

Yup, reinstall retail version, just do the 1.02 right on top of that...

Hey, and why would we revert back to 5 1/4 discs in the future?

i learned the hard way too...when i had installed 1.01 and they said to uninstall it, i said why bother. and kept with it since it wasnt so bad on my system. then 1.02 came out and i patched over the old one and then i had so many problems CTD and stuff i wiped the game out and reinstalled and di the 1.02 patch and its all well now...

and luckily i havnt seen teammates show up red either since the 1.02 patch...but time will tell

quote:
"Hey, and why would we revert back to 5 1/4 discs in the future?"

are you kidding?
it's a marketing COUP!
NOBODY had the things anymore (at least working ones)
Korea's Gross Domestic Product increased 50 fold in weeks and IBM made a killing
(who knew they had warehouses full of that crap)

I have been pissed at BF2 ever since I got it. Here is what I found to work. I unistalled everyting even the registry files and then reinstalled the game and went right to patch 1.02 (not installing 1.01). This seemed to fix my problem of getting dropped connections within 5 minutes of connecting to a server. Now if I could just fix the couple of intermitant texture problems like the screen going black when I am helo gunner and switch to alt fire.

John Gault said:
Now if I could just fix the couple of intermitant texture problems like the screen going black when I am helo gunner and switch to alt fire.

John its just the blast shield covering your eyes. Reach out through the force. :D

do you have to close the game and re-start to correct the texture problem?
I used to get something similar, on an Arty strike or stun event my screen would go one solid color until i recovered :( (at which point i would scream I'M BLIND SHOOT ME NOW!)

game re-start would cure it and i'm hoping vid driver cleaning and update has made it go away.

pistol222 said:
Yup, reinstall retail version, just do the 1.02 right on top of that...

Hey, and why would we revert back to 5 1/4 discs in the future?

For the same reason game developers reverted to releasing games that aren't fully finished?

ninethreeeleven said:
A thread like this would normally be locked for being this far off topic, but its too freakin funny.

This is on topic. The thread is just talking about how bad BF2 has gotten.

Anyway, the reason I installed 1.01 then 1.02 is because when I install 1.02 alone it attempts to install then fails at the end. I thought it was patched anyway but then I noticed the build was 1.0.2442.0 which is the original build. Once I installed 1.01 then 1.02 the build changed but the game never worked.... sigh... I'll reinstall and try 1.02 right off the bat.

Ok, I reinstalled and tried the 1.02 patch and got the same "patch failed" message. Then I tried logging in and after 3 minutes of the game trying to log in I ctrl+alt+del and I have to end the program cause it was not responding. I will once again try reinstalling and not apply the patch and see if I can log in then...

donahue said:
Ok, I reinstalled and tried the 1.02 patch and got the same "patch failed" message. Then I tried logging in and after 3 minutes of the game trying to log in I ctrl+alt+del and I have to end the program cause it was not responding. I will once again try reinstalling and not apply the patch and see if I can log in then...

People who installed with an image or downloaded CDs get this error. If you install with the retail discs it will be just fine..

Maximus825 said:
People who installed with an image or downloaded CDs get this error. If you install with the retail discs it will be just fine..

I installed with a DVD image and didn't get a patch failed error.

Maximus825 said:

I installed with an image of my retail disk and did not have any problems

weebling1 said:
change the flux capicitor and correct for the proper time continuum
worked 4 me :)

That's wierd, cause I had no temporal problems with the game. Mine was that damned starboard EPS coupling. Couldn't keep that bastard from going out like every third . The 1.02 patch fixed itepisode </trek_dork>. ;)

Actualy to fix my patching issues I had to go on a long quest through the wastelands in search of the holy G.E.C.K. But even with the G.E.C.K. I could not save BF2. The waterchip of my vaults central computer was damaged and had to be replaced. Anybody know where I can find a replacement waterchip?

When the hell is the next patch coming out? I think that is the only fix to my problems...

donahue said:
When the hell is the next patch coming out? I think that is the only fix to my problems...
they announced it already. its called special forces. it will cost $50

check for tribbles in your starboard Jeffries tubes (insulating bastiches)

waterchip? vault 8 i think, bring friends :)

Back