Battlefield Bad Company 2; Anti Aliasing works for ATI, not Nvidia (WinXP)

spine

2[H]4U
Hey all,

I'd like to have something clarified for me...

Regarding BC2 and Windows XP I've always just assumed AA was totally not possible, and with my new 470GTX (and older 8800GTS 512) this seems to be true. However, my friend has recently bought an ATI 6870 and can force AA in the Catalyst control panel and it blatantly works.

I've tried searching the web and all I find are loads of threads with every 'expert' flat out declaring outright it's not at all possible under Windows XP. But I know for a fact this isn't true for the 6870 so what gives?

Is there any way to force it on nvidia hardware?

Thanks ;)

He's using MLAA which is a shader-based method of AA. It's either that or no AA (as BC2's AA only works with DX10).

He's definitely not using MLAA because it's not supported in DX9 under Windows XP since it requires directcompute5 which is dx11/11 only.

I get the feeling the 6870 being able to do AA in BC2 isn't common knowledge then?

Here's the proof incase anyone needs any;

BC2_AA_6870.png

That's 12x apparently and with 4x Alpha texture AA.

He's definitely not using MLAA because it's not supported in DX9 under Windows XP since it requires directcompute5 which is dx11/11 only.

I get the feeling the 6870 being able to do AA in BC2 isn't common knowledge then?

Ah yeah, that's what I thought. BC2 running in DX9 doesn't support AA (even when forcing) which is why this is interesting. It's the first I've heard of someone running xp/dx9 and having AA.

OP: You 100% sure your buddy is running xp/dx9?

Ah yeah, that's what I thought. BC2 running in DX9 doesn't support AA (even when forcing) which is why this is interesting. It's the first I've heard of someone running xp/dx9 and having AA.

OP: You 100% sure your buddy is running xp/dx9?

Yes, absolutely 100%; I built the machine and setup Windows XP myself (he's not a techie, but knows enough).

At first I thought he was just being an idiot and couldn't tell that AA wasn't actually on. That's why I demanded a screenshot in the first place because I didn't believe it myself. And no, he's not pranking me. ;)

Surely other 6870/6850 users out there can confirm AA is working in BC2?

*EDIT*

I should add that from my research the phrase I keep hearing; "Frostbite engine doesn't support AA in DX9" that comes from DICE is misleading.

Frostbite does not natively support AA in the DX9 path, just like the UT3 engine doesn't, but that's not to say that it's impossible per se, which it clearly isn't as I've found. It just seems that nvidia haven't (yet?) bothered to code a driver to specifically deal with it. Unless AA does work on certain nvidia hardware?

Last edited:
Oh, well, I just checked. It is indeed MLAA doing it. Changed my config to dx9, hopped in game, AA didn't work. Turned on MLAA (using a 6850) and almost everything was smooth, just a few things that didn't smooth out like power lines in between poles.

Edit: Pics, first is DX9, MLAA OFF. Second is DX9 MLAA ON.
5oEDC.jpg

dJvnH.jpg

Last edited:
Its a political stunt to not support anti-aliasing on xp. Its a scam mostly.

WHAT? Seriously what the hell is is going on? MLAA is working in WinXP? How is that even possible?

Why is it that I see virtually no difference in 1x all the way to 32x AA in BC2?

Win 7 64bit, GTX570.

Oh, well, I just checked. It is indeed MLAA doing it. Changed my config to dx9, hopped in game, AA didn't work. Turned on MLAA (using a 6850) and almost everything was smooth, just a few things that didn't smooth out like power lines in between poles.
Edit: Pics, first is DX9, MLAA OFF. Second is DX9 MLAA ON.

Is that in Windows XP ?

Why is it that I see virtually no difference in 1x all the way to 32x AA in BC2?

Win 7 64bit, GTX570.

Because PEBKAC.

Nope, it was on 7. Lapse in judgement on my part thinking it didn't matter, but maybe that would make a difference. I'll see about throwing xp on my spare 80gb and trying again.

Also, lol @ PEBKAC

Edit: Nevermind. Until I can find a 2gb (or maybe 4gb) flash drive or figure out how to get it to work on an 8 or 16gb flash drive, I can't get xp back on :x

Last edited:
Because PEBKAC.

What an insightful and well thought out post. I am blown away by your intelligence and experience on the matter. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction on how to solve this problem. I should had known this this already though because this is the course of action most often recommended by our [H] "veterans". They seem to be the most helpful around here. Thank you [H] god for them! <3

/sarcasm

...jackass

now for some screenshots showing little difference between 1x and 32x, or at least not as much difference as id expect.

1x: http://i56.tinypic.com/sxelck.jpg
32x: http://i51.tinypic.com/347fjib.jpg

<3

Back