Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

First round of the night. I hadn't played this game in weeks because I had gotten tired of all the bullshit in this game so I was looking forward to having a good time. I joined:

=E= Mixed Mode ALL MAPS Boobies & Beer Adaptive Slot/Tix BigE

I was flying a Viper and got autobalanced right out of the pilot's seat, of course causing the helo to crash and kill my gunner.

I voiced my concern over this via global chat and I was subsequently kicked by an admin for disrespecting his server.

BF3. Fucking POS player base and a fucking POS game. :eek:

First round of the night. I hadn't played this game in weeks because I had gotten tired of all the bullshit in this game so I was looking forward to having a good time. I joined:

I was flying a Viper and got autobalanced right out of the pilot's seat, of course causing the helo to crash and kill my gunner.

I voiced my concern over this via global chat and I was subsequently kicked by an admin for disrespecting his server.

Yes, I always damn an entire game and player base to hell becuase of one admin... You're a smart one.

Yes, I always damn an entire game and player base to hell becuase of one admin... You're a smart one.
Yea...I doubt he was all that respectful about it either. The guys on the BigE have been nothing but friendly to me, and they are extremely patient too. They aren't very tolerant of people disrespecting the admins, especially if you can't write a sentence addressed to them without a curse word in it or stating their policies are stupid in any way. I've been frequenting their servers for a couple years now since BC2 came out. Unless it was some new admin that is hot headed, I'm going to call BS on that one.

Some people don't realize that there are ways of saying "your policy is retarded" without actually saying it that way such as "I don't understand, please explain" or "have you considered the negatives of this policy?", etc. etc. These people take the stance that "everyone online is talking this way, so why should my word choice be any different?" These same people are usually under 18 and/or haven't experienced the real world where you address superiors with respect, no matter how dumb they might be.

Last edited:
I'm so, so, so, so, so sick of godlike choppers. Stingers rarely work. If I soflam, nobobdy uses javs. If I jav, nobody uses soflam. Someone is always in LAV in the middle of fucking nowhere. If I get in a tank I immediately get choppered before I get out of spawn.

The other mistake I made was not whoring tanks from Day 1. Now literally everyone has reactive armor except for me and leveling up in tanks is impossible because it takes 6 shots for me vs 3 shots for them.

Is that possible? Surely that's something they'd take into account with the weapon damage design, or maybe wouldn't really have to since they only deal in whole numbers? I would guess that even explosions deal in single digit increments as far as damage dropoff over range goes. What might happen to cause a decimal amount of damage?

HP is different from %. Hardcore for example has fewer hitpoints than regular.

I'm so, so, so, so, so sick of godlike choppers. Stingers rarely work. If I soflam, nobobdy uses javs. If I jav, nobody uses soflam. Someone is always in LAV in the middle of fucking nowhere. If I get in a tank I immediately get choppered before I get out of spawn.

The other mistake I made was not whoring tanks from Day 1. Now literally everyone has reactive armor except for me and leveling up in tanks is impossible because it takes 6 shots for me vs 3 shots for them.

I noticed that for some reason the refresh rate on the choppers flares or ecm jammer are waaaaay faster than in a jet. Which doesn't make any fucking sense what so ever.

Yeah I agree....stingers are really fucking worthless.....choppers need to fear them more than they do. The only thing IMHO that correctly balances choppers is the mobile AA at this time.......

I noticed that for some reason the refresh rate on the choppers flares or ecm jammer are waaaaay faster than in a jet. Which doesn't make any fucking sense what so ever.

It does if both pilot and gunner are equipped with them

Were you in a squad or solo? I am always in a squad, even if they suck ass and I never get auto'ed.

Yea...I doubt he was all that respectful about it either. The guys on the BigE have been nothing but friendly to me, and they are extremely patient too. They aren't very tolerant of people disrespecting the admins, especially if you can't write a sentence addressed to them without a curse word in it or stating their policies are stupid in any way. I've been frequenting their servers for a couple years now since BC2 came out. Unless it was some new admin that is hot headed, I'm going to call BS on that one.

Some people don't realize that there are ways of saying "your policy is retarded" without actually saying it that way such as "I don't understand, please explain" or "have you considered the negatives of this policy?", etc. etc. These people take the stance that "everyone online is talking this way, so why should my word choice be any different?" These same people are usually under 18 and/or haven't experienced the real world where you address superiors with respect, no matter how dumb they might be.

Lighten up Francis, can't you tell a little frustration from a serious condemnation of the entire BF3 community? Hence the little emoticon at the end? ;)

"especially if you can't write a sentence addressed to them without a curse word in it or stating their policies are stupid in any way"

I did no such thing, and you implying that I did just goes to show a little bit about YOUR character.

And come on, don't tell me you've never seen immature admins before. I've been in games where the admin shut down the session because his team was about to lose.

Were you in a squad or solo? I am always in a squad, even if they suck ass and I never get auto'ed.

Squad.

Because most of the maps are all Urban maps, so vehicles get WTFPWNT really quick. :( Thus why I would like to see a big land map where vehicles can be used as intended.

Nah
bf32011122602031918.jpg

Grand Bazaar is my IFV whore map, lol. Granted, I had a great squad that made this possible, but the urban maps can be utterly dominated by a good squad in a vehicle.

^ Bazaar is a great map to use the IFV on. I've seen good squads piled into one literally just drive circles around the map and rack up easy kills, lol. Oman is another good map to use land vehicles on IF your team has SOFLAM set up and can counter or at least retaliate against the air attack. I've played rounds where I basically just sat in a tank all day and ran from base to base along the beachfront with a convoy of 2-3 other vehicles and get easy points.

I finally reached Colonel just now. Feels good man :)

For some reason I just can't seem to kill anyone with the IFV cannon. I'm very good with the tank, but I just don't have the technique with the cannon. Not sure why.

For some reason I just can't seem to kill anyone with the IFV cannon. I'm very good with the tank, but I just don't have the technique with the cannon. Not sure why.
The main cannon? I use it to kill other vehicles or destroy buildings and hope to catch someone in the splash damage. If there's a lot of lone infantry running around I'll use the LMG to mow them down. I know a lot of people prefer the ATGM as a secondary but I really think the LMG is a lot more useful in a wider variety of situations.

Curiously. What's the biggest map in battlefields history? And would we be able to get it in BF3?

Curiously. What's the biggest map in battlefields history? And would we be able to get it in BF3?
The first maps that come to mind are the Chinese maps in BF2. Some of them seemed downright massive. Wake and Gulf of Oman are pretty big but since a large chunk of the maps are water, I'm not really taking them into consideration.

Come to think of it, almost all of the BF2 maps were pretty big in comparison to BF3's. Maybe the fact that you could only sprint for a limited amount of time before having to rest and that jets were insanely fast yet still took awhile to reach the borders of the map has something to do with it.

I had a sweet run earlier.... Even got called a hacker on this one

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/20975301/1/356401873/

Yeah im a tank whore but I love playing mobile AA even more. It really chaps my ass when im tanking and get raped by the chopper (who you cant even see cause hes so far away mind you) and the mobile AA is sitting right outside of spawn not doing jack.

I advise caution with this one. A friend of mine had his account suspended by EA because he got reported 10 times after an epic tank run on wake island by some clan of butthurt kids.

So, if your butthurt, just have you and your clan report someone and its an easy account suspension....3 cheers to EA.

The first maps that come to mind are the Chinese maps in BF2. Some of them seemed downright massive. Wake and Gulf of Oman are pretty big but since a large chunk of the maps are water, I'm not really taking them into consideration.

Come to think of it, almost all of the BF2 maps were pretty big in comparison to BF3's. Maybe the fact that you could only sprint for a limited amount of time before having to rest and that jets were insanely fast yet still took awhile to reach the borders of the map has something to do with it.

Actually, BF2142 maps were MASSIVE. I take ages to run from one side of the map to other. But nevertheless BF2142 is ton of fun. Looking forward for BF2143!

which would be silly, pilot should be running ECM and gunner runs flares......:p

Yeah, it's easier to coordinate if you don't have to watch for the same thing (One deploys on lockon tone, the other deploys on missile tone).

In a stinger heavy game tho, it may increase survival if you both carry flares. Lockon is about three seconds, and another three seconds for the missile to reach the heli. That gives you a five second window to get away and maybe take out two or three stingers at once when you finally deploy your flares. If you use ECM, you have to deploy as soon as you hear the tone.

One thing i'm curious tho. Some insist that soflam aren't supposed to lock on to aircraft. But if that were the case, then what's the ECM for? If you compare Flares to ECM against stingers, the flares would win out since you don't have to launch the flares until you're sure you've got a missile coming up your ass.

Jets with ECM are actually easier to shoot down. Flares makes stingers useless for a full five seconds and the jet would be long gone by then. On the other hand, when an ECM wears off, he's usually still within range of my stinger and it's guaranteed i'll get him with the second shot.

Nope. Have rockets which are better.

Explain.

Having been an awesome pilot (if I do say so myself) from 1942-BF2, the lack of bombs is annoying, and the rockets are incredibly weak when compared to BF2. I can deal with them being somewhat weak against armor as they should be, but I shouldn't be able to hit a helicopter with a handful of rockets and it still be flying around. Rockets are even weak against infantry for some reason. And this is from someone who almost exclusively plays Hardcore where infantry health is only 60% of core.

I advise caution with this one. A friend of mine had his account suspended by EA because he got reported 10 times after an epic tank run on wake island by some clan of butthurt kids.

So, if your butthurt, just have you and your clan report someone and its an easy account suspension....3 cheers to EA.

Yeah this is what the world is coming to.
We have cheaters to be getting rid of that play all day long.
Somehow these fucking guys still play with impossible stats.

But your buddy who goes on a terror, and owns shit gets suspended.
The only proof I'm suspecting they needed was "butthurt" players comments.
No video, or screenshot proof, just that they got raped so he must be cheating.
/Sigh

What's with all these 'bad luck' deaths ?. I was having a play on a server and kept getting them, even after just having re-spawned from one so hadn't even fired a shot or moved very far.

Explain.

Having been an awesome pilot (if I do say so myself) from 1942-BF2, the lack of bombs is annoying, and the rockets are incredibly weak when compared to BF2. I can deal with them being somewhat weak against armor as they should be, but I shouldn't be able to hit a helicopter with a handful of rockets and it still be flying around. Rockets are even weak against infantry for some reason. And this is from someone who almost exclusively plays Hardcore where infantry health is only 60% of core.

In one pass I can disable any ground vehicle. A quick loop while reloading and I can finish off the kill. The only thing that might prevent that is another jet, chopper, or something locking me. If they are repairing Ill just get kills on the infantry and then do another pass. The hardest part of this is to keep track of the vehicle because sometimes they blend well into the terrain when at a high altitude. Having a good wingman also helps. I fly with a friend alot and we do coordinated strikes and kill anything in 2-3 passes. Solo in a jet is kinda hard because all you hear is constant locking sounds. With a good wingman, jets really shine.

Choppers die real quick to rockets if you hit them. Trouble is hitting them. The RU choppers are easier due to the larger vehicle size of the Havok. For Infantry I usually just use the cannon. I have killed people with rockets that are on the antenna of caspian. I just lol at snipers who try to hide up there. If rockets did more damage to infantry then people would be calling OP jets.

Bombs were great in BF2, but rockets are a good alternative.

Might be wrong but I'm pretty sure the default autobalance doesn't switch living players. Sounds like he would have had a server plugin running.

Yeah, it's easier to coordinate if you don't have to watch for the same thing (One deploys on lockon tone, the other deploys on missile tone).

In a stinger heavy game tho, it may increase survival if you both carry flares. Lockon is about three seconds, and another three seconds for the missile to reach the heli. That gives you a five second window to get away and maybe take out two or three stingers at once when you finally deploy your flares. If you use ECM, you have to deploy as soon as you hear the tone.

One thing i'm curious tho. Some insist that soflam aren't supposed to lock on to aircraft. But if that were the case, then what's the ECM for? If you compare Flares to ECM against stingers, the flares would win out since you don't have to launch the flares until you're sure you've got a missile coming up your ass.

Jets with ECM are actually easier to shoot down. Flares makes stingers useless for a full five seconds and the jet would be long gone by then. On the other hand, when an ECM wears off, he's usually still within range of my stinger and it's guaranteed i'll get him with the second shot.

In my experience almost no one uses Stingers (because they are awful) and the flares in the chopper are mostly for missiles from AAA, jets, and other choppers. The ECM is the only thing between you and a Javelin in a chopper. Flares are so much better for jet because of the slow SOFLAM turning speed and the fact that you are normally out of Javelin lock on range.

In my experience almost no one uses Stingers (because they are awful) and the flares in the chopper are mostly for missiles from AAA, jets, and other choppers. The ECM is the only thing between you and a Javelin in a chopper. Flares are so much better for jet because of the slow SOFLAM turning speed and the fact that you are normally out of Javelin lock on range.

stingers are a good way to assist your own attack chopper, like at the beginning of a round on sharqui on defense, u lock on to the enemy chopper and make em waste a flare/ecm.

But i agree, solo stinger use is 99% ineffective - it has to be used in coordination with something else or a second stinger

the ECM chaff will misdirect rockets hitting you from behind. smart pilots fire ECM and then run

Does anyone else think they should avoid doing a Vietnam? I thought it was a major turn off last go around with BComp2.

Felt almost like i was relearning the game, in a bad challenging way. Im all for new environments / maps that was cool, but it felt like they were stretching themselves, there was a lot that needed to be done with the main game first.

EDIT: In fact im kind of hoping they don't do a 2143 as well, it draws too much attention away from the main game, which is great at this point. In a year or two, for $39.99 sure.

Does anyone else think they should avoid doing a Vietnam? I thought it was a major turn off last go around with BComp2.

Felt almost like i was relearning the game, in a bad challenging way. Im all for new environments / maps that was cool, but it felt like they were stretching themselves, there was a lot that needed to be done with the main game first.

EDIT: In fact im kind of hoping they don't do a 2143 as well, it draws too much attention away from the main game, which is great at this point. In a year or two, for $39.99 sure.

yeah I agree.

2143 should be the next iteration of the game not a mini expansion pack

I like the game play of BC2 Vietnam more than I do BF3. I like the map better too.

I'm trying to level up my AA, the missiles can't hit ANYTHING, most of my gun kills are against infantry...

btw, on Firestorm, where should I camp the AA?

(I was going 10-2 w/ the AA once on Caspian... until I got auto team balanced... F!@#)

If I'm playing on the team that starts near C/E (conquest), I'll take the AA to the far left side behind a mound in the desert (far left of E). Gives you a good position for jets taking off coming around the hill and you have a decent view of the skies. The mound itself is tall enough to keep tanks from seeing/hitting you. I've spent entire rounds alive in the AA sitting there. Firestorm is kind of a bitch to level the AA though. Definitely one of the harder maps considering size and vehicle count (which also means more engis). I really enjoy Kharg Island for the AA. Missles can reach most parts of the map. As for more missle kills, just be patient. Get your locks and wait for em to pop flares then relock or wait for them to come closer to you. I've also had a lot of kills from people that just flew too close to me and I laid in to them with the AA gun. You can usually at least get a disable this way. Usually you'll get a kill though.

With the mobile AA you just need to find a spot to sit that works (secluded, off the beaten path and hidden) - like off behind a berm with tree coverage. I usually carry Jav's incase a SOFLAM comes up. The best bet is to lay into them with the gun and missiles. This keeps the pilots worried as they take damage, sometimes they even forget to pop flares. I've had 30-5 runs with these on some maps. If a jet lines you up, just waste them with the gun. I do have belt speed, so it helps. But remember to fire in bursts (rapid clicking of the mouse) over holding it down, you'll never have to reload that way.

After a little bit, you may have a squad looking for you as the other teams pilots bitch about not being able to stay airborne. That is my experience.

I can't remember, but I think you get a quicker reload if you "reload" with ammo remaining (ie: 1 of 2 missiles) just like with the other weapons. So a trick is to fire off ONE missile and reload, so that way they'll use up their flares as you're good to kill'em with your reloaded missiles.

Another trick I do is to get my lock and then aim in front of them as I fire my missiles, it gives it a better angle of a attack and can sometimes avoid the flares all together. If I'm in a good spot, I sometimes just lock'on and don't fire so they get that annoying tone for a bit, then I sneak a missile up their tail pipe.

Mobile AA is all about strategy, find what works for you. And btw, the mobile AA is very good at taking out tanks from behind (weak part of armor). If you find yourself behind a vehicle, lay into it with the gun (see tip about burst fire above). It'll be dead before they can spin their turret around. Infantry usually takes a few hits as well, but with bursting you can lay so much ammo down field.

Last edited:
Downloaded a patch.

Updated via pbsetup.exe

Game disconnected: you were kicked by PunkBuster. Stated reason: PunkBuster kicked player (for 0 minutes) ... RESTRICTION: Corrupted File/Memory [98080696]

The biggest problem with the Mobile AA that I have observed is quite often the worst fucking clueless noobs in the game tend to take it and have no idea how to use it, they either think its some super mega pocky gundam gatling sniper rifle and go infantry hunting or start taking potshots at the enemy tanks and get it destroyed, while the enemy aircrafts go raping.

The other thing that annoys me to no end is when the enemy chopper is raping and people don't bother switching to stingers. Basically giving them free kills.

Last edited:
Back