Battlefield 2 Question... adding bots to a LAN game... someone help?

mikebrown

[H]ard|Gawd
So my brother and I picked up a couple copies of Battlefield 2 the other day cause we liked Battlefield 1942 so much as a LAN game. One thing that made the LAN game so fun when it was just me and my brother was the fact that we had lots of other "bots" on our team, as well as a "bot" enemy. Basically, we want it to be JUST LIKE the single player, with all the bots, except BOTH me and him in the same game... But as we tried to play a LAN game, we realized it was just me and him...

The question is: Is there ANY way to add bots to the game?

We tried running a Dedicated Server and settings the TEAM RATIO to a lot higher than 100% but nothing happened with that either.. Anything we can do? If not, we're gonna return it :(
Thanks
Mike

http://www.fileplanet.com/156300/150000/fileinfo/Battlefield-2---How-to-have-bots-on-lan

I found that... im waiting TWENTY minutes in line though to download it.. Just incase this doesnt help me, Im going to leave this thread up.
Thanks

EDIT: This is what that TXT file said

If you have any amount of computers interlinked this will work. For this to work start a single player game. then with the other computers go to join lan game and click join ip...the reson for this is because it wont show up in the browser. once you have opened that type in the ip where it says typ it in. you will join His\her singleplayer game and there you have it a game with bots on a lan network.

problem is, there is no JOIN IP... is there?

you could pretend you are like some of us old schoolers and use the console :)

I still remember my megaTF server addy.... along with a couple of other servers that I frequented

go to local i believe..... instead of multiplayer.... when u make the map just dont pick conquest...

I'll try it tmrw and give u a better explanation im seepy... but u can do it.. jsut not fun as online thoguh.

The only option ive seen is conquest :( lol
I would play it online, but i have 56k :mad:

Once you're in the game go to Create Local...
Then this:

If you dont have this you may need the latest patch. 1.3 I believe.

Have fun!!!

Depending on where you live... Internet has really gone down in price... for the price you pay 56k you can ge a DSL package which MAY allow u to play online.

mikebrown said:
So my brother and I picked up a couple copies of Battlefield 2 the other day cause we liked Battlefield 1942 so much as a LAN game. One thing that made the LAN game so fun when it was just me and my brother was the fact that we had lots of other "bots" on our team, as well as a "bot" enemy. Basically, we want it to be JUST LIKE the single player, with all the bots, except BOTH me and him in the same game... But as we tried to play a LAN game, we realized it was just me and him...

The question is: Is there ANY way to add bots to the game?

We tried running a Dedicated Server and settings the TEAM RATIO to a lot higher than 100% but nothing happened with that either.. Anything we can do? If not, we're gonna return it :(
Thanks
Mike

Don't get rid of the game just yet! Here's a walkthrough I made for playing a Co-op LAN game with 64-bots, 2000+ tickets. I'm currently using it with patch 1.3 and it works with expansion packs Special Forces, Euro Force and Armored Fury. Just remember to back up all your files because you can ruin your BF2 load.

You only need to edit the files on whatever PC is your server. Editing any of the client PC's files can lead to the dreaded, "modified content" error.

To start a LAN game with bots (using an offline account):
1. On the machine that will be the server, start a Multiplayer game on a 16-player map that is also available in Single Player mode (e.g. Strike at Karkand). You have to add the map to start a game.
2. Once the server's ready (Join Game button appears), have the client(s) all go to the Multiplayer option, Join Local and then Update/Refresh the list, just to get the game to appear on the list, then highlight the game, but don't press Join Game yet. You just want the network game to appear on this list.
3. Kill the Multiplayer game you started on the server by hitting ESC then Disconnect. Then, still on the server, start a Single Player game on the same level you selected earlier (e.g. Strike at Karkand). Once it's loaded and the Join Game button appears, have all the client PCs hit join on their screens. When they're all loaded you can all hit Join Game and play with bots plus however many human players you added.

You're basically tricking the game into letting client PCs join a Single Player game with bots. If you have an online account, you can just use the "Join IP" button and jump into any single player game that you have running if you know the server's IP address.

NOTES:
- To set the number of bots, just edit this file (Notepad) by following the instructions (64 is the practical max):
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\AI\AIDefault.ai

I tried up to 255 bots, and it works great, but always crashes to desktop after a couple of minutes.

- Depending on your setup, the server PC will be hit hard as it does all the heavy lifting processing the AI for 64 bots and thus freeing up the client PCs to run smoother. A dedicated PC is for this job is recommended. Warning: you can only call for artillery strikes, supplies, UAV, etc. on this server PC, but not on the clients unless you become the commander.

- You can edit the amount of tickets by going into each level's folder (i.e. Karkand) and pulling out the init.con file from the server.zip file.
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Levels\Strike_at_Karkand\server.zip

Edit these settings and save the file (it's set to read-only so uncheck that) and return the init.con file to server.zip. The following settings will produce 200 MEC and 220 US tickets. It doubles it for some reason:

gameLogic.setDefaultNumberOfTicketsEx 16 1 100
gameLogic.setDefaultNumberOfTicketsEx 16 2 110

Setting this to 1000 (to produce 2000 tickets) is a good setting as 64 bots tends to cause tickets to drain quickly and the default setting of 200 won't last long.

- You can edit the botnames.ai file and change the names to whatever you want to spice the game up a little. It only recognizes names with two "words". For single words, you can just add a period as the 2nd word. i.e. "Predator ." and it will be recognized.

Hope this helps as ever since I started playing this game, I have upgraded my PC and haven't touched my Xbox or PS2 in months.

wow, me and my brother will try that, and see how it does. We DONT have the patch yet, so we'll be sure to download that when I go to my G/F's house (she has DSL)

Speaking of our internet, the reason we DONT have anything faster than 56k is because we cant GET anything faster than 56k way out here on the mountain :(

Thank you guys for ALL your attempts to help us, we REALLY appreciate it! :D

mikebrown said:
rm19, thats EXACTLY what we needed, thanks!!! I owe you one man! :D

No problem. With these mods, BF2 becomes one of the greatest coop games ever made and it should have shipped out like this. FYI: I tested both my Intel and AMD systems and the Intel was more stable with far fewer crashes to desktop.

Server: P4 640 HT (3.2GHz), 2GB, 7800GT.

Doesn't the newest patch already have co-op support built in? Or am I missing something (I haven't messed with bots lately)?

rm19 - well that really sucks, as I am on an AMD system. I did notice after tweaking lots of things, I had some random crashes before the levels even loaded while setting up the multiplayer part, so I figured I just tweaked too much :p I re-installed the game and calmed down with the tweaks :D and it seems to be doin ok!

Kevlarman
- From what i've read and heard, the patch does support that. Thats why I downloaded it today, but ive yet to try it out! :D Ill post back and let yall know!

Thanks again guys, especially rm19, you've added hours of fun to our gaming experience already :cool: Had a friend over and we played for 3 hours yesterday

Kevlarman said:
Doesn't the newest patch already have co-op support built in? Or am I missing something (I haven't messed with bots lately)?

Yeah it was only a very recent addition, but I've been playing coop from the very beginning. Also I think it maxes out at 32 bots and I'm not sure what the tickets can be set to. I'll try it out later on so I'm not talking out of my arse.

I did play with the co-op addition several weeks ago, and I know that it does let you add more than 32 bots. The only problem is that you are limited to the small, 16-player maps, and many of those maps do not have any jets or choppers. :(

I'd really like to see bots that are capable of traversing the 64-player maps, with all the vehicles and such.

I installed the patch and tried out a multiplayer game using co-op with JUST me in it, as my brother is still at work. I did NOT auto balance teams so that might have been the issue here, but when it started up, it was ME vs 48 bots :eek:

When my bro gets off work we're gonna tinker with it, set auto balance teams, and see if we get half the bots on our side.

mikebrown said:
it was ME vs 48 bots :eek:

Time for some grenade action!

FYI: The comment I made about Intel being more stable than AMD was in regard to which platform was more stable as the BF2 server only, which is extremely demanding. I have rarely ever had a client PC crash on me.

Well what sucks with us, is that I dont really have another PC thats good enough to be a server for us, so mine would kinda have to double as a client and server :p

Anyhow, the patch worked as well, but now I gotta pick up another copy of the game to get my brother to play with me :(

Back