Battleborn open beta until 18th

I know Gearbox has been working forever on this thing.

Last edited:
Yeah havent installed myself yet to try but I've been planning on buying this game forever. Curious to hear some feedback.

Wow, so four fucking days to test drive? Hope you didn't have any plans this weekend...like I already do.

I guess I have to ply tonight then.

installed it. loaded. got to gearbox logo then black screen for 10 minutes until I forced it closed... not sure whats going on, not even sure if I care... was just curious.

edit: might be a beta bug but I got it to work. for some reason the last time I tried it, about 20 minutes ago, I came up in a windows even though it is set to fullscreen and it worked. I was able to switch to full screen and adjust visuals and it said some changes needed a restart. so I restarted and it hung at the black screen again. forced it closed and restarted, same thing. forced it close and restarted but this time I hit alt-enter to force it to windowed and it fired right up. repeated this several times and it still works. played most of the first level and realized how much I such at FPSs with a gamepad! game plays pretty good on my system with everything on high/very high I'm getting 60fps with a couple dips to 45fps(I vsync).

Last edited:
Looks like a jacked up cousin to Borderlands at first glance. That's enough to sell me on it. I'll get in on this beta in time. I will be watching for feedback in the mean time.

I played both PvE co-op missions with a friend and played around 5 matches of PvP. Overall a fun game that doesn't take itself too seriously. In a way it kind of reminds me of playing a Wow battleground. Graphics are decent and it runs well, I turned Physx to low on my 970 cause I was getting some slowdowns when there was a lot of action on screen. I managed to pick up a copy for cheap so I'm happy with my preorder decision.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Just played it for about 2 and a half hours, probably won't be buying it. The story mode missions were fun, and would probably be more fun with others on comms, but the only real interesting part was the boss battles, the rest sorta felt like filler. The multiplayer was okay, but I never really felt challenged. Won 5 out of 5 games pretty easy, even when I was playing badly. Plus they are gating things in a strange way, like character lore is gated behind character specific challenges. I guess that is to encourage people to play a wide range of characters, but it seems odd to use character lore as that driver.

It also has the usual gearbox jokes, which get old, and as I was streaming it a few people watching were already getting dialogue fatigue, but I didn't notice it as much.

like this
The multiplayer story mode feels like multiplayer Borderlands, except there's no fantastic weapon drops, and every time you play through you start the same exact skill tree over. I can see that getting boring fast.

The multiplayer versus just doesn't feel as satisfying as a slower versus shooter like Battlefield 4. Guess I haven't been missing much here playing regular FPS games.

Last edited:
Got the beta for this and a weekend beta invite to overwatch . never enough time on weekends! lol

I'm fucked.

THis game makes me feel like I did back when I was playing CS1.4 and skipping college classes. The grind between command levels is JUSt slow enough that you always feel on the verge of another level.TOo bad the payoffs are kind of mediocre.
Not sure how I feel about having to unlock the champions though. And the gear is such a blatant money grab.

I'm fucked.

THis game makes me feel like I did back when I was playing CS1.4 and skipping college classes. The grind between command levels is JUSt slow enough that you always feel on the verge of another level.TOo bad the payoffs are kind of mediocre.
Not sure how I feel about having to unlock the champions though. And the gear is such a blatant money grab.

Oh they want money for in game items. Pass.

I don't KNOW that, but it certainly smacks of it. They have "loot packs" bought with in game currency. Plus you can only hold 40 items and you have to use in game crrency to get more space. Not sure if there is real money involved. Even if there is, you get igc pretty quick, and boosts are not huge.

Buti fthey make you pay $60 for a game and then have that kind of crap... yea. Pass.
Titanfall showed you don't have to monetize that crap.

So, more an annoyance than a game changer. I still haven't 'unlocked' the 2 extra characters that they added to Rainbow Six Siege. And I probably will never.

It's not clear if that's the case or not, I feel like they won't, but maybe they will have something like the golden keys thing in Borderlands 2 that engages the community. If they do have a cash for in game currency, I think they will and should take a fucking lashing for it as a full price game.

Yeah, I'm not feeling 60 bucks. Maybe 15?

I'm going to play the story mode a few more times tonight to decide how much I enjoy that, but barring that it's only a bargain bin buy for me. Might bump that to 20-30 if I can find something tonight to hook me.

Call me back when you guys make Borderlands 3.

Really saddens me, because unlike most of their competition this BETA TITLE plays like it's already gold. I had one crash when I tried to enable full-screen, and otherwise it was fault-free for three hours. I'd like to give them money for their hard work, but not that much.

I, for one, am really liking Miko.
Battleborn_Hero_Wallpaper_-_Miko_-_Preview-800x450.jpg

A support class with respectable damage and interesting crowd control and aoe abilities. For some reason i can't get the hang of the melee classes. Going to try Oscar Mike tonight.

I liked Miko in story mode, but she feels a little underpowered for versus.
I felt that way at first, but it just depends on which DNA things you choose. 2 that you have to get is the increase in rate of fire and the decrease in reload time.Also adding in the buffs to the grenade and adding damage to the ultimate allows you to transform an area of the map to a healing ground for you and an AOE deathtrap for baddies. That said, he is a support class.

They say you can play this game solo. What's that like?

Honestly, it's a bit like playing Wow solo. You can queue into doing what is essentially a 5 man Wow dungeon with other randoms. And then queue into a Wow Battleground with others to get your pvp fix.

The dungeons have a normal mode, advanced mode, and a hardcore toggle for each. I also heard rumors that bosses in pve will have a chance of dropping unique legendary loot on release to give you incentive to farm them.

There are 25 characters with 5 more free ones planned. You can permanently level each character up to lv 15 which unlocks 5 mutation skills to pick from as well as some skins and taunts. There's also an account wide level up which is your command rank.

like this
This game any good and worth indulging in? Releasing tomorrow but am undecided about it.

They must have a sever NDA on reviews I can't find anything except some toys on youtube saying this game is great. Guess I have to wait....

Posting privileges: Only players who own Battleborn are allowed to post in this forum.

lol they locked me out I just asked if it's as good as Evolve game looks like it's for 12yr old kids.
Even 12 yr old kids are not that dumb. I think this game was easy to make so that is why they made it.
Yet I'm curious cause it's Gearbox

I played the Beta and overall it seemed fun. Definitely has the heritage of Gearbox/Borderlands. I do rather wish that there was a truly open world, but the story mode dungeons, played alone or with others are enjoyable. Likewise, the PVP matches are MOBA style from first person and are more complex than I expected. Of course, this is only from the sample available during Beta - there will be additional modes, maps, more content etc.. .in the launch game. All the characters show that "Borderlands" like spark and fun; there's probably a character for you no matter what role and style you like to play. Do you want to play a dapper robot sniper who summons holographic owls etc...or tons of others!

For those with GreenManGaming accounts, they are sending out a code for 27% off the standard or Deluxe version, each with the Firstborn (pre order) pack included. You can get the Deluxe for around $52 with a key like that. Oh, and the Deluxe apparently offers more than just Season Pass + Base Game, I've heard. There are a bunch of extra goodies or whatnot that are Deluxe limited, so if you want those, think about it. Unsure if this is confirmed however.

personal experience, Used them a few times for both PC games and xbox gold cards and never an issue

Yep, fantastic site, always look there first. I have used them 20+ times and not one problem.

Yep, fantastic site, always look there first. I have used them 20+ times and not one problem.
There's also the whole, DVS not getting paid, part too. I know not everyone feels the same as I do on that, but I'd rather pay more to ensure the money foresee to the devs and publishers that deserve it.

There's also the whole, DVS not getting paid, part too. I know not everyone feels the same as I do on that, but I'd rather pay more to ensure the money foresee to the devs and publishers that deserve it.

A bit off topic but where did you hear that the devs don't get paid?

I'm scared of this game mainly if I buy it I won't like it it's getting a very Positive for reviews on Amazon not sure if I have the attention span for it and missed the Beta.

enjoying it so far, did a couple of public story missions. the game is fun and the characters are cool. it's nice to have a MOBA style hero shooter where everyones not exactly the same, playing co-op is fun when you have a rounded out team. i don't know how long the fun will last at this point, haven't tried pvp yet, but i'm hoping its a ton of fun. if you like borderlands you'll certainly enjoy the humor the game has to offer.

all the kiddies getting home around now anddddd servers look to be borked.

I'm doing private story so far. No issues. Game feels like a cousin to Borderlands in some ways.

I'm getting fatal errors when I get to the character selection screen. I've seen issues like mine online but there isn't a fix yet, unfortunately.

working again, first day launch woes to be expected but nothing terrible. i couldnt connect for 30 mins earlier, everything seems to be fine now. game is fun, lots of items you can get and load out your character. it'll have plenty of replay value if you just like getting good with each individual character, as well as mining loot/money to buy loot packs. i think they've put enough thought into it to keep people around much longer than say The Division did.

Back