Battle Chasers: Nightwar

mr_zen256

2[H]4U
The kickstarter has already been funded after 72 hours. Always been a fan of good JRPGs.

"Classic JRPG combat meets action packed dungeons and stylish storytelling. Use skills and strategy to survive a lush, brutal landscape."

zcLXGFd.gif

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1548028600/battle-chasers-nightwar

this is I direction I hoped the FF series would have taken after ff7, but it didn't.... I could not get into any after it. this looks gooood!

This unlocks in a couple of hours. Initial reviews are looking pretty good, I went ahead and pre-ordered. Will definitely give some impressions as I've been looking forward to this one for a while.

Game is super fun. Love the WoW-ish art style and the combat is very satisfying with plenty of abilities and specials. Being able to replay dungeon on Heroic/Legendary modes is nice, there's a bit of grind involved it seems but re-doing things on harder difficulty is cool with me.

I backed this on Kickstarter and have not been disappointed! Oh, don't forget the Linux version is soon to be available for those interested. Overall, an excellent JRPG with some neat features, while being an homage to classics.

Edit: One thing I've not gotten far enough to see yet - has anyone found if weapon or armor appearance changes into the game, or any other sort of visual progression? Not that it would be a masssive letdown if it didn't, but it is always a bit annoying if there isn't any visual indication of progression. Back in the old days of JRPGs for instance, armor rarely changed visually, but weapons did - that animation for swinging your starter sword was different than the one you got from Uber Optional Boss, even if it was just some (gorgeous) pixel art!

Last edited:
“A gorgeous RPG, with expansive randomly generated dungeons, compelling combat, unique characters, and an amazing soundtrack.”
90 % – Gaming Trend

“Nightwar’s focus on style and character, coupled with a mostly excellent combat system, kept me hooked for much longer than I had imagined.”
8/10 – Polygon

“Battle Chasers is a great game and great RPG. I love the rich characters and their background. The art style makes this whole experience beautiful.”
9/10 – GameSpace

Reactions: DPI
like this
I can't tell you how long I've been waiting for a game like this on PC. I am tempted to buy another copy and give it away here just to support these guys.

I backed this on Kickstarter and have not been disappointed! Oh, don't forget the Linux version is soon to be available for those interested. Overall, an excellent JRPG with some neat features, while being an homage to classics.

Edit: One thing I've not gotten far enough to see yet - has anyone found if weapon or armor appearance changes into the game, or any other sort of visual progression? Not that it would be a masssive letdown if it didn't, but it is always a bit annoying if there isn't any visual indication of progression. Back in the old days of JRPGs for instance, armor rarely changed visually, but weapons did - that animation for swinging your starter sword was different than the one you got from Uber Optional Boss, even if it was just some (gorgeous) pixel art!
Weapons yes . Not sure about armor.

Haven't touch a JRPG since they kind of started to play themselves almost.

I actually don't recall very many old JRPGs where the armor/cloths change drastically, weapons get fancier I do remember. Maybe my memory just fuzzy.

Back