Battery Powered Desktop

incomudro said:
what about a car BAT with some kind of alterating belt small to recharge it???????????
Okay I understood car battery, but I have no idea what you are talking about with the belt. Anyway, car batteries wouldn't work well in this situation because they simply are not designed for long continuous discharging. They are designed for short, high-current discharges.

Look up a few sites for car PCs... running computers off 12 volts is common.

basically your options are 12V battery -> inverter -> 120VAC -> regular power supply -> computer, or 12V battery -> specialized ATX power supply -> computer. And the specialized supplies, designed to run off 12/24/48 volts, cost a pretty penny...

Either way, you'll end up making your computer extremely heavy and unportable, because you'll need to add in extra power conversion hardware along with some large gel cell type batteries, which also demands a big case.

hound said:
This guy has done it. Read through the worklog, but the part where he does the battery is on page 3.
Keep in mind, though, that that guy used a fairly low-power motherboard, a slower processor, no cards, a single drive, and a small lcd screen. That is a bit different from this guy's high-power gaming machine.

everytime i go to the YMCA and ride the bike for a long time, it alternates between calories per hour and watts, and invariably i always think "i wonder if you could rig up a computer running off of a bike or something... stay in shape AND game on! :p "

sheesh...people are getting grouchy now :(

Why does everyone think im running some huge high power system? itll be somewhere around 150 watts, 20-23 amps i think. anyway, i think that about sums up the usefullness of this thread. thanks for everyones input

-Lucid

Back