Battery Disposal?

CBR

I Show Old Ladies My Dick Wrappers
The battery in my UPS just died and I'm not too sure how to dispose of the old battery. How do I get rid of it? Is there anything special I have to make sure of? Is there some special place it needs to go to? Its a sealed lead battery so I'm thinking I dont just throw it out like I would a regular AA battery...Or do I? :confused:

Phone up radioshack and see if they will recycle it for you. I know when I've bought replacement battery packs from there they will take the old one for replacement. Phone them up and see if they will recycle that battery. It should be disposed of properly if possible.

Batteries Plus will take them for you and I think it's still free of charge. Dunno if you have one nearby or not. Otherwise, check with your garbage people - they can tell you exactly how to get rid of it properly.

I was planning on going to Batteries Plus for a replacement, so I'll bring it with me and turn it over to them.

Thanks. :)

eh....just toss it in a random garbage can like I do. If no one sees it, they can't complain about it "hurting the enviroment".

Nephron said:
Bash It With A Freakin Hammer! :D :D

A hammer seems a little dangerous. Though, I've got some friends trying to get rid of a small cache of fireworks from their most recent trip to mexico...

Tiny said:
eh....just toss it in a random garbage can like I do. If no one sees it, they can't complain about it "hurting the enviroment".

No can do. I live out in the middle of nowhere so random garbage cans aren't too common.

Tiny said:

Please do not do that. I hope that you are being sarcastic.

dariob said:
Please do not do that. I hope that you are being sarcastic.

Just offering suggestions based on personal experiences. Nothing wrong with tossing it out with the pizza boxes.

Tiny said:
Just offering suggestions based on personal experiences. Nothing wrong with tossing it out with the pizza boxes.

From APC UPS manual:

The batteries used by this Uninterruptible Power Source are recyclable. Proper disposal of
the batteries is required. The batteries contain lead and pose a hazard to the environment
and human health if not disposed of properly. Please refer to local codes for proper disposal requirements or return the battery to a factory authorized Service Center.

Battery replacement should be performed or supervised by personnel familiar with the danger of batteries and the required precautions. Keep unauthorized personnel away from batteries. When replacing batteries, use the same number and type of sealed lead acid batteries
as were originally contained in your UPS.

CAUTION - Do not dispose of batteries in a fire. The batteries may explode.

CAUTION - Do not open or mutilate a UPS battery. They contain an electrolyte which is
toxic and harmful to the skin and eyes.

CAUTION - A battery can present a risk of electrical shock and high short circuit current.
When replacing batteries, wrist watches and jewelry such as rings should be removed.
Use tools with insulated handles.

So you are saying there is nothing wrong with it?

For one, its environmentally hazardous.

Two, the batteries contain lead acid and could leak if crushed in a garbage truck/facility and seriously hurt however handles the trash.

Three, it is recyclable and many service centers will take them for free. Why pose such a huge hazard to your sanitation crews and the earth (means your community/yourself/your children), just because you are too lazy to dispose of properly?

What do you do with old tires? Dump them by the side of the road or in an abandoned lot? Do you dump your old motor oil down the drainpipe? Thats pretty much the same thing.

Back