Batman Arkham Origins PhysX Demo

They may as well have, it runs like shit on nVidia.

As far as I remember it ran like shit on Nvidia because Nvidia generally sucks at GPU computing. I think the GTX 780 and Titan are better because of their architecture, but the bad performance on 6xx series cards wasn't because AMD purposely gimped TressFX or anything (unlike what Nvidia does for the CPU code for Physx)...it just ran as well as the Nvidia cards could handle it.

According to Anandtechs GPU benchmark charts a GTX 680 vs. a 7970 using SmallLuxGPU (benchmark that uses OpenCL GPGPU computing) the 680 score 7,800 points...the 7970? 25,000. So...yeah...

I do think patches after release did improve performance though for all platforms though and both AMD and Nvidia got a nice boost with it on.

Most annoying thing with these damn fog demos...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=op4S1CRK10A#t=118
This is from six years ago. And in this demo it's just an after thought, hey, we've got soft particles... oh and they react to physics stuff too, whatever.

Actually, you know what, this whole demo is just fail. Snow particles, that's never been done before. Capes? Yep. The soft shadows are at least a fairly recent thing to have rendering in real time, but what does that have to do with a physics engine?

Well, that was the most boring and unimpressive tech demo I've seen in quite a while. It also made me think about DeLorean DMC-12 for some reason...

physx is the lamest thing ever

Most annoying thing with these damn fog demos...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=op4S1CRK10A#t=118
This is from six years ago. And in this demo it's just an after thought, hey, we've got soft particles... oh and they react to physics stuff too, whatever.

Actually, you know what, this whole demo is just fail. Snow particles, that's never been done before. Capes? Yep. The soft shadows are at least a fairly recent thing to have rendering in real time, but what does that have to do with a physics engine?

BUT BUT BUT FOG AND SMOKE PHYSICS CAN'T BE DONE ON THE CPU!!! NEED MORE PHYSX!!!

Same old effects, hey? Maybe it's because it happens over a slow bus but I think we need to accept that hardware PhysX on PC is a dud. It offers way too little for the performance it demands.

Here's an impressive use of GPU physics:

3Pe9.gif

Same old effects, hey? Maybe it's because it happens over a slow bus but I think we need to accept that hardware PhysX on PC is a dud. It offers way too little for the performance it demands

it's not that it offers way too little for the performance but more that not enough developers use it...the Batman Arkham games used it pretty well

Back