Batman: Arkham City for PC

am doing a replay of Arkham City now...haven't touched the game since 2012...game still looks amazing and now with my GTX 970 I can play with 8x MSAA which looks way better then FXAA (no smeared/blurry graphics) plus frame rates easily 60+ (VSync enabled so am capped at 60)...got the GOTY edition when it transferred over from GFWL so I can finally play the Harley Quinn DLC as well which I never played before

Not sure if it's just driver improvement or anything to do with Windows 10, but on my old rig, in 2012, Batman AC was pretty unplayable, so I dumped it.

Thought I'd have another go, runs pretty well. I haven't changed anything in my rig but the OS and the HD, so not sure again, if AC was patched up, drivers, OS, but I'm loving it. Looks fantastic.

Yeah ac runs great on modern cards. 980 has no problems playing it at 4k 60fps with dsr.

I just played through it 1080p with maxed out settings, aside for AA which I had somewhere in the middle. Game ran great for me. System specs in my sig. I got a pretty constant frame rate of at least 60, could have been higher. I can tell when a game is around 60fps or less, and aside from 1 or 2 instances with smoke taking the rate down it definitely stayed around 60+. Great game too, I'm finishing as many side missions and challenges before my copy of arkham knight gets here.

Lol i clicked on this thread thinking it said AK.:eek::D @armenius that's good info to know. will try it out once i finish AK.

I've been replaying all the Rocksteady Arkham games and I just finished Arkham City (plus the Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC)...the game still holds up as one of the best open world games...fabulous gameplay and design...Rocksteady really knows their Batman mythology...this was my first time playing at 1440p, DX11, MSAA 8X and unlocked frame rate and the game looks gorgeous...on to Arkham Knight!

I've been replaying all the Rocksteady Arkham games and I just finished Arkham City (plus the Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC)...the game still holds up as one of the best open world games...fabulous gameplay and design...Rocksteady really knows their Batman mythology...this was my first time playing at 1440p, DX11, MSAA 8X and unlocked frame rate and the game looks gorgeous...on to Arkham Knight!

I agree. Asylum was great, but City blows it out of the water, IMO. Still my favorite Batman game.

I actually preferred Asylum. Felt more focused (probably because it was more Metroid than an open world), and I enjoyed the smaller scale story. Plus, it was legitimately scary in places (Croc in the sewers, Joker's incoherent gabbing in the submerged hallway area, Scarecrow scenes).

City was still great, however. Knight I found to be the weakest. I found the Batmobile segments too repetitive and frustrating.

Asylum was laser focused with all of the encounters being setup in a certain way with a finite number of enemies. As a result I feel like it probably told the best story and felt less ridiculous. No matter what developers do, open-world games always feel like nothing is urgent or important. Asylum mostly kept that in check.

At the same time, City had the most stuff to do and it did a great job of amping what Arkham did well up to 11. At the time I remember it being a resource hog, though. Absolute top of the line hardware majorly bogged down in areas and the Nvidia special features were problematic. At this point I can only guess those issues are long irrelevant, though. As a game there wasn't much wrong with it.

Knight was just flat-out too big and too much. Almost like they began with a completed version of City and just kept saying "more more more" whenever anyone would question what they should add. Games lose focus with too much content and Knight walked the line between greatness and a mess. There was nothing wrong with the gameplay, everything just because tedious after a while.

I feel that Arkham City should have been the final game in the trilogy...that had the perfect ending to finish the series- Joker's death...Arkham Knight is still an excellent game but having Ghost Joker was silly (even though Mark Hamill did an amazing job as always)...the ending to AC was probably one of the best endings to any video game ever

the side missions in AC and AK were so much fun...really added a lot to the gameplay versus feeling like filler...

I feel that Arkham City should have been the final game in the trilogy...that had the perfect ending to finish the series- Joker's death...Arkham Knight is still an excellent game but having Ghost Joker was silly (even though Mark Hamill did an amazing job as always)...the ending to AC was probably one of the best endings to any video game ever

the side missions in AC and AK were so much fun...really added a lot to the gameplay versus feeling like filler...
One thing that bothered me in City was I never figured out what was the trigger to some of the side missions. One playthrough I would get all the Deadshot missions available immediately and the next they wouldn't trigger until after completing the main story. It was quite frustrating.

One thing that bothered me in City was I never figured out what was the trigger to some of the side missions. One playthrough I would get all the Deadshot missions available immediately and the next they wouldn't trigger until after completing the main story. It was quite frustrating.

all the side missions were triggered on the map except for the Deadshot and Watchers in the Wings (Azrael) ones...with Deadshot you actually needed to find the dead bodies on your own (except for the first one which appears on your map) and the same with Azrael's symbols (or with some help from YouTube)...but at least you were still able to do all the side missions after completing the main story so you never really missed anything

all the side missions were triggered on the map except for the Deadshot and Watchers in the Wings (Azrael) ones...with Deadshot you actually needed to find the dead bodies on your own (except for the first one which appears on your map) and the same with Azrael's symbols (or with some help from YouTube)...but at least you were still able to do all the side missions after completing the main story so you never really missed anything
With Deadshot you're supposed to hear a gunshot and then Oracle gives you an update including the area you can find the body. I know the first part is triggered by answering the distress call coming from the radio tower on your way to your first encounter with Joker, but after that you have to be in certain areas of the map at the right time or something.

Arkham Knight is an amazing and great looking game, also why I still use nVidia. If I ever upgrade away from nVidia I may keep my RTX 2060 just for replaying Arkham Knight on occasion. I played AK three times and finished ALL THE MISSIONS each time, including Riddler's challenges.

I just replayed through AA and AC. Playing again through Knight now.

I played through Knight at release and dealt with the crashes and the performance issues. Even then it was an incredible game.

Replaying knight with max settings @ 4k is amazing now though. The game runs butter smooth on my 2080ti @ 4k, and I forgot just how incredible the game is visually. I truly feel like no other game has yet to reach that level of graphical detail and the general quality of effects. That one part where you are preventing the fear-toxin explosion in the factory is just incredible looking. The level of detail on scarecrow is still amazing as well, it's honestly jaw dropping.

I'd love to see them patch in HDR support to Knight, it would make it look all that much better given the darker environments with all the colorful effects popping everywhere.

Even City w/ max settings still looks pretty decent.

AA is starting to show it's age, but it's still very enjoyable.

Back