Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of The Year Edition 3D

dwk

Gawd
Gamestop online is doing a 25% off sale on orders over 100 bucks and I was browsing the game section and saw that a 3D version of Batman:AA was out and was wondering if anybody has played it yet or plans on picking it up? I had no idea a 3D version was in the works let alone was already out and might have to jump on this.

Edit:
Here is a snip from a 360 review I found:

The game already featured top notch graphics all round with some excellent art direction, use of colour, animation and character models. However the use of the Trioviz 3D Vision makes the game's look improve significantly. Each game comes with not one pair, but two pairs of cardboard 3D specs (magenta and green) and the effect can be toggled on and off at any time. Now, once you don these babies you'll never look back as Batman Arkham Asylum comes well and truly to life. Ok let's get things clear, for starters the 3D specs can be used on any TV (SD or HD) so you won't need to sell a kidney and buy one of the new 3D enabled HD TVs that cost up to £5000. Also, the 3D tech is not the same as what you might have seen in the cinema with movies such as Avatar, so the 3D specs from the cinema won't work. To put things into perspective, the 3D effect in the game offers spectacular depth of field rather than having objects jumping out of the screen. So things like crawling through vents or looking down long corridors makes it look like your TV extends into the wall and beyond. It's dramatic, looks fantastic and adds more to the game even if you've played the original to death. link

Last edited:
I believe that's a Europe only release. I'd leap on it but I don't have 3d capability anyway. Sounds cool, though.

I saw it saturday at the mall here in texas...so don't think it is a europe only release...and yes I did see it in the PS3 section...

Was also wondering how it was and how it was setup...

It is listed on the US Gamestop website link. It looks like it comes with two pairs of cardboard glasses and the game for 49.99. Here is some guy's review of it:

Its a delight to see Batman fight the enemies in 3D and especially when you play in Scarecrow's World !!! But overall, its an awesome game to play if you don't mind wearing those paperweight glasses ... lol. Overall, I would refer this game to anyone that is a die hard Batman fan of the game but the glasses can be a problem especially if you wear regular glasses as well.

I believe that's a Europe only release. I'd leap on it but I don't have 3d capability anyway. Sounds cool, though.

Looks like it is work on any TV:

GOTY fact: the game comes with two pairs of glasses and the 3D works on both standard and high definition TVs.

Man I want to try this, but I might just wait till it drops in price and hear some more reviews...

I don't believe you need any special hardware. Since a Monitor is just a TV without a tuner, it should work fine.

I'd love to play it, but I already dropped $60 on the original. If this were DLC for $10-$12, I'd probably jump on it. Or if there was a "trade-up" program... but I can't justify another $50 for some cheap-ass glasses and 1/2 of gametime that I'd probably spend playing it again....

of course it will work :) it's only using anaglyph mode

pretty much the same as red/blue glasses, but they're probably designed to reduce a lot of the ghosting associated with the technology.

3dvision/shutter glasses will give much better IQ

If it came with the 'Play as Joker' stuff, I'd be down. Not sure otherwise. Already have the first version for PC.

Meh...3D features for a game not meant to be in 3D tend to be a waste. It might be a neat gimmick if you haven't played the game before, but all of the 3D games that use glasses I've seen are pretty cludgy. It's going to take someone to design a game with 3D in mind to really do a good job.

nvidia used to have a red-green 3d driver. I suspect it could still be found on the net somewhere. Not sure how well it would work with todays games, but might make for an interesting experiment.

nvidia used to have a red-green 3d driver. I suspect it could still be found on the net somewhere. Not sure how well it would work with todays games, but might make for an interesting experiment.

they still offer it for download

it's called '3dvision discovery'

I believe that you can change the lens color too if you have Green and Blue/Red and Blue or other filter configurations.

I have some of the paper anaglyph glasses at home, they blow. The colored paper that you look through is too small, so the effect isn't all that great.

I've seen it, it is wearing those dodgy colored glasses, the effects aren't anything fantastic and you lose the ability to see a lot of colors. But i wouldn't expect anything less without having to buy other hardware to use the better 3D glasses.

Back