Batman: AO - Dynamic Shadows murders frame rate and something else...

Syphon Filter

2[H]4U
Hi Guys,

Playing Batman:AO for the first time on PC and have noticed a couple of issues.

1. Enabling V-Sync seems to cause a weird problem where the frame-rate is smooth but the actual feel isn't. There's a stutter every second or two.

I think I have noticed this issue on other Unreal Engine based games too. Disable V-Sync and the FPS is high and solid, no stutters. Enable V-Sync and the FPS is locked at 59/60 but there's a jump every second or two. Any ideas why this may be?

2. Dynamic Shadows, Normal or DX11, absolutely murders my frame-rate, I noticed this particularly in indoor areas of the game. Again, any ideas? Normal is ok and my fps hovers around the 80-100 mark. DX11 DS smacks that to 40fps.

DS off and I can hit 140-150fps depending on the situation.

What's going on? I would have thought the rig in my sig would be more than capable of running this game.

That doesn't sound right. I can play with everything pegged out and get 60 Hz average and that's with a single GTX 670 so your rig should be shredding thru this game. I wonder if it's a driver issue possibly.

As for the stutter, I get one when a level first loads. It'll happen several times and then be fine. I have my Afterburner monitors going on my 2nd monitor and when that happens GPU usage drops to almost zero then back up to 99%.

This game is about my all time favorite but I have to admit it's a little buggy.

Something is definitely not right. I remember being able to run almost everything maxed out on my rig running 2 GTX 680s at 3240x1920. I had to turn down 2 or 3 settings but with dual 780Tis you should be able to max that game.

Uninstall your drivers using DDU in safe mode. Reboot and reinstall the latest nvidia drivers to see if it runs better. Sadly I haven't played the game because I got 100% on it shortly after it came out.

Somebody currently running the game may have a bit better advice since my memory is foggy at best.

Last edited:
DDU and upgrade to the latest WHQL driver seems to have fixed the shadows issue. Thanks for the tip.

However, I feel like that V-Sync stutter is still there. I'm not 100% sure but it feels like it.

Have you tried enabling Adaptive V-sync in the NCP while turning off V-sync in-game?

Nope, I'll give that a go.

But before I do, doesn't adaptive V-Sync lock to half-refresh rate? So on my monitor it will be 30fps?

EDIT: Just found the following -

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/626207/batman-arkham-origins-titan-sli-frame-stuttering/

Going to give it a go. Again, thanks for the tip. [H] delivers the goods!
There is an option for half refresh rate with Adaptive Vsync, but the main option will cap at your monitor's full refresh rate.

Have you tried enabling Adaptive V-sync in the NCP while turning off V-sync in-game?

Adaptive Vsync ^^ as recommended here, works well and may help the issue tremendously. It basically will run Vsync OFF until your fps is right about to Exceed the refresh rate of your monitor. E.G. 60fps/60hz. This is to prevent tearing but to eliminate any vsync induced problems when your fps is below your monitors refresh rate.

Back