Batch scripting: run at logon without explorer.exe starting / dedicated runtime

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings!

I know how to get a batch script to run at logon, but what I'm trying to figure out is how massive scripts like ComboFix startup after a reboot without explorer.exe or other programs running.

If I did it by hand, it would probably be going to msconfig --> Diagnostic startup --> reboot --> run script and kill explorer.exe simultaneously --> reset Startup select in msconfig to whatever it was before --> run explorer.exe OR reboot

EDIT: I tried schtasks with ONSTART and ONLOGON but it wasn't working. Is there a way to kill explorer.exe sooner than waiting several moments after the GUI has started?

Last edited:
Why would you want to disable explorer.exe on boot?

Cosmetic and functional reasons (to keep the user from interfering with the runtime of the script). I've seen ComboFix and many other non-security related software do this.

Okay.. so not really helpful on scratching the itch for what you are doing instead of letting the shell run, but okely-dokely.

We have a staging script that is used to remove bloatware, configure some things like firewall rules, timezone NTP servers, and installed client-related line of business software. Due to the circumstances we can't use any mass imaging platform or strategy, hence the script.

Deployments using the script have already been made, but we're improving the script for future use with other clients. The purpose of wanting to kill the shell is to deter the technician from distractions that might prematurely halt the script; this would be a new feature of the updated script.

Back