• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

batch , file corrupt

anewguy

n00b
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
7
Being rather new to this, I have a particular problem with game demos that i've downloaded. 9 out of 10 cant install.Error messages like batch file error or file corrupt appear when i try to install.Im using WinXP all current updates,i have zonealarm,avg free,nvidia firewall,ad aware,spybot.I also have a genius webcam installed.
I was using Norton Internet Security before and i thought that might be the cause but after uninstalling, i still have the same problem.Is the nvidia firewall the likely cause?
I use Limewire, which seems to hang after a while,it says there is no connection to the Internet.Big files seem to be corrupt after downloading too.I downloaded bit Comet the other day,yay ..it works for a short time, but it keeps causing my pc to reboot after a short while,it says there is a driver conflict.Im reluctant to update my video/sound card.etc ..drivers for fear that they might fail to install because of the problems that im having.My divx player cant run/load..even after i unistall it and install a new version. Firefox cant update..the update option/resume is greyed out.tho i have no problems downlaoding extensions to it..Sometimes picture/s on web sites appear discolored .all mixed & all over the place too.. The strange thing is that Windows update works most of the time..9 out of 10..lol..no real problems with ad aware or spybot either xcept for a few minor cock-ups. I think thats about all..thats too much already..LOL

Any ideas to possible causes? I really dont want to reformat but will if i have to.Thanks



AMD x2 3800,2 GB Corsair Ram,250 Maxtor SATA,Seagate 20 gb ide,Sound blaster xi-fi gaming,Ledtek 7900gt,Lg Dvd rom,Benq DW1640 Win XP Home :eek: :mad: :confused:
 
Uninstall nvidia firewall, then restart, load bios defaults and run memtest for some loops and see if your ram is error free :D

oldmx
 
It's quite possible you got something nasty from Limewire, it happens to my clients that use it all the time - one of the reasons I now charge double rates for any problems relating to, or caused by p2p software downloading after my warning them not to use said piece of software.

Go to antivirus.com and run their free scan.
 
The Donut said:
I now charge double rates for any problems relating to, or caused by p2p software downloading after my warning them not to use said piece of software.

Hey that is a good idea. I need to start doing that.. :)
 
AHHH! MY EYES ARE BLEEDING! :eek:

No, wait, it's just the OP's poor choice of text color. :p

Yes, vape that NVidia firewall. And I am almost positive that if you have been downloading off a P2P network, you've gotten some malicious content. Years back I get more of it on Kazaa Lite every day, so I imagine that these days those networks must be saturated in it, and they like to target Windows and System(32) directories.

My guess is that if you've gotten enough of these little bastards, it may honestly be easier for you to reformat, and the primary reason is thus: Even Norton and McAfee, daily updated, can still let crap through the cracks. I know AVE, Avast, Trend Micro, and Panda all have admitted as well. I think you will have genuinely more of a difficulty getting every trace of whatever malware/virii you have off your hard drive and properly recovering than you will just backing up your data on a secure media, format/reinstall, and get freshly updated AV on there before you even consider restoring your old data. Even then, scan and pick apart everything you have. I would also suggest getting rid of any downloads from LimeWire you don't 100% recognize and know the entire contents of.
 
Yep, most likely what i thought to be the cause.. :( ..Can not reformat now most likely in the next few weeks. Will do the Mem test thingie..However does it cause 90% of demos that i dowmloaded to be corrupt and not install?.*.Scratching my head*.Damm...:confused:









A8n-E, AMD x2 3800,2 GB Corsair Ram,250 Maxtor SATA,Seagate 20 gb ide,Sound blaster xi-fi gaming,Ledtek 7900gt,Lg Dvd rom,Benq DW1640 Win XP Home
 
geez, anewguy, stick to the regular text color, please. It's not cool. and your system specs go in your sig, not in the body of the message.

And also remove the nvidia firewall crap.
 
I think your computer is broken - it can't make a post in a normal color. Please pack it up and return it to the manufacturer immediately.
 
Back
Top