• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bass Volume Too Low

gerbiaNem

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
2,169
I just setup my HC6 speakers with my TX-SR503 receiver using a Soundblaster Live! 24-bit card (all analog connection). For some reason the bass is way too low whenever I play music. The driver barely even moves when bass settings are all the way up on the receiver and creative's software! I've tried adjusting the crossover and phase and level on the sub and in both the creative software and receiver the crossover. Even on my old AL VS4121 system the bass could go louder!

There has to be something wrong, because this is killing the music. The DVDs on the otherhand sound fine basswise.
 
you try going into the volume and turning bass up? double click volume taskbar then hit advanced and pump it up?


soulsaver_8229
 
Is this the Acoustic Research HC6? The little 3.5" sealed drivers only rated (optimistically most likely) to 80Hz. These come with a powered sub too right?

Did you make sure that its hooked up right?

Check that the crossover didn't get pushed all the way down or the gain for that matter.

Check that you have the inputs/outputs hooked up right.

Also on the reciever do you have the front speakers set to "small"? If they are set to "large" and all the bass is sent to them they will not do a great job reproducing bass due to their small driver and sealed nature.
 
Is this another problem with Creative's crappy bass management?

Make sure that teh speakers are set to small, and the subwoofer is set to yes in the reciever setup menu.
 
I made sure everything was connected correctly. Just to note, I am using DVD Multichannel mode on the receiver (uses soundcard sound signals with slight processing). This is not standard DVD mode where a stereo signal is matrixed into 5.1 using PLII/Neo6 or whatnot. There is not speaker distance or speaker setup in multichannel mode, only in standard DVD mode.

With that out of the way, I found something weird. When surround stereo mode (stereo x 2)was set in the Speaker Settings creative cmss panel, the bass came out just fine. With cmss set, it was too low. On the receiver with matrixing it is also too low (stereo signal only). I tried the bass slider in the advanced dialog before also, it proved ineffective. This is with the crossover in creative set to 100Hz (with no setting bass=bad), and knob on sub half way (min=50 max=150, so mid=100).

I've heard of problems with my receiver reproducting bass from a stereo signal which may accound for the matrix mode low bass. Then creative might be at fault for the low bass with everything but surround stereo (stereo x 2) on. Well this fixes my problem, and the music does sound best with surround stereo, so I guess I'm good.

If anyone knows anything I can do to fix my matrixing problems, feel free to post.
 
I also noticed that the Bass Booster options does absolutely nothing for the bass. I tried a bunch of settings with different crossover and level settings in the bass booster, not difference at all.
 
If its anything like my Audigy cmss is a great stinking pile of crap anyway, do you have the speakers set to 5.1 or whatever? My control panel likes to randomly reset itself to 2.1 all the time, which annoys me a little.

Try the calbration maybe?
 
Back
Top