Basically can't decide between Westinghouse and Sharp

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 24, 2005
Messages
6,346
I can not decide between the Westinghouse LVM-37W3 and the Sharp LC-37GP1U or the Sharp LC37D62U.

Now I want the Sharp (GP1) but really can't justify the almost double price. Is it twice as good?

I will mainly use it for satellite or cable viewing, DVDs (off a computer). I would love to say that I will use it for gaming, but once I put the TV up in the common room, man its gone!

So I will get a 30 inch monitor (Dell or Apple) to use in my gamer.

I'd like to get the Sharp, but I think that I will never use it to its capacity, and when I do replace it, something much better will be out (for use as a computer monitor, i.e. once I can use it with my gamer).

Do you think the image off of broadcast TV is twice as good on the Sharp?
 
It is not twice as good and I would say that it is not even better. I could argue that the Westy is better for using as a PC monitor. I own a 42" Westy and 47" Westy and they are excellent for both PC and normal cable and whatnot. The Sharp IMHO is not worth the extra money. Spend the extra money to get yourself a nice home theater to go with the screen.
 
It is not twice as good and I would say that it is not even better. I could argue that the Westy is better for using as a PC monitor. I own a 42" Westy and 47" Westy and they are excellent for both PC and normal cable and whatnot. The Sharp IMHO is not worth the extra money. Spend the extra money to get yourself a nice home theater to go with the screen.

I move around alot (cross country every 2 or 3 months). I want to keep everything contained in a SUV and 5 by 8 UHaul (for myself and my fiance).

I do get a new LCD every year, but this time I want to break the cycle of constant upgrading (and I have made serious gains). Replacing a $900 set in 2 years is easier than a $1600 one, especially if the gains are minimal.

to that end I was looking for the best or close to best 32 or 37 inch LCD (LCD for the resolution and weight saving). Seems like the best is the Sharp, but a lot of people here on the [H] have the Westy. I had the version 1 Westy and it was quite impressive, until I replaced it with a 46 inch Sony XBR3 (which has been sold).

I'll probably use the extra cash to get an over the top scalar, that can be recycled from HT to HT.

Thanks for the input.
 
Bought the Westinghouse from CostCo and received the special edition version (SE). Was concerned at first after reading the threads on AVSForum regarding dead pixels and othre issues.

No issues to report. No stuck pixels using dead pixel buddy.

This monitor is so much better than the first generation, and I thought the first gen was excellent. I am happy with it and am glad that I did not buy the more than twice as expensive Sharp. Overall good purchase.

Only thing I do not like is the lack of detachable speakers. Adds to the overall size, without adding much in functionality (for me). But these speakers also blend in better than the first gen, so meh.

In a couple of years I know I will upgrade and will not feel so bad because I did not pay that much for it (as opposed to the sharp).
 
If you get the Westy (actually for either model) make sure you can return it if you're not happy or have problems - buy from a local Costco or whatever. Seriously. LCDs have waaaaaay more defects and problems than many other electronic items and my last Westy had a lot of issues (not this particular model) and Westy is horrible to deal with.
Just some friendly advice.
 
If you get the Westy (actually for either model) make sure you can return it if you're not happy or have problems - buy from a local Costco or whatever. Seriously. LCDs have waaaaaay more defects and problems than many other electronic items and my last Westy had a lot of issues (not this particular model) and Westy is horrible to deal with.
Just some friendly advice.

good advice. seems like it is excellent, maybe even perfect for what it is.
 
If the Westy were the same price as the Sharp, how many people would actually buy it?

My suggestion to you is that you actually have a look at both displays and make your own choice. BB has all of these models in-stock. I recommend that you bring a laptop with you and play your own videos because store demos usually display 720p video, and they look awful on 1080p sets unless viewed from a distance.
 
Okay, I have owned 2 LVM-42W2 and it all had problems (both went back to BB). It's a freaking nightmare. Worst of all their customer services sucks ( I mean there were no customer service. They told me they would call back but they never did. I live in Canada, so maybe us canucks don't deserve the same treatment that fellow Americans rightfully deserve.)
I am not going to go further in to my own personal problems, but all I say is that I ending up with a Sharp LC42D62U and have no problems ever since.
FWIW I have to say I like the color of my old Westies better, they look more natural and the PIP and service menu are easier to use. Individual RGB colors are adjustable. Multiple PC connections also rocks! (Westinghouse a better PC monitor though.)
If you feel lucky and taking the chance then go with Westies but if not i would personal recommend sticking with SHARP.

PS. I don't know if Westinghouse have changed any of this but I am not ready to find out. Once I get burned badly by a company I tend to stay the F*ck away!!
 
Then don't mention price if it's not that important to you. Obviously, price is always a concern. Like it or not, the Westy is a low-end HDTV, and the Sharp is a mid-range product at best. :rolleyes:

whatever dude. Like what or not? I don't understand your vernacular, nor do I want to. Mentioning obvious statements makes one look really wise or really stupid.

To ky22, yea man I hear you. Sucks when you spend so much and just expect it to work as advertised. When it does not, and then the hassles, that is too much.

I did not expect too much from this Westy 37 incher. It has exceeded my expectations, rare these days with electronics. However I do have a confession. I did take the extra cash saving (from the Sharp) and bought a DVDO VP50 the same week. Now, let me tell you, SD TV and SD DVDs are looking like never before. Made a huge huge difference. The scalar was triple the price of the Westy, but . . .
 
Darn! how much did you get the scaler for?
Anyways back on topic. Good to hear that your Westinghouse is working well for you. I know that it's a charm if the Westy works. It's almost like dating ( I confess too, never had a date:D. Reason being that I spend too much time & $$ "[H]ard-on", computering and gaming to go chasing girls). Anyways, it's wonderful until you discover it's flaws. Best of luck whatever the hell you choose.
 
Get the Westinghouse 37"

You'll love it... and it's CHEAP compared to others out there.
 
Darn! how much did you get the scaler for?
Anyways back on topic. Good to hear that your Westinghouse is working well for you. I know that it's a charm if the Westy works. It's almost like dating ( I confess too, never had a date:D. Reason being that I spend too much time & $$ "[H]ard-on", computering and gaming to go chasing girls). Anyways, it's wonderful until you discover it's flaws. Best of luck whatever the hell you choose.

Yes. I did buy the Westinghouse as I mentioned earlier, and I am very thankful that it did arrive in perfect condition and with performance that exceeded my expectations.

It is funny that you mention the [H] as you do. I use the computers at work to surf the [H]. Almost always get a horrified gasp when someone else uses the computer and checks the history line. I just tell them to take a look.

Yea the scalar was pricey. Is it worth it? I think so, everything looks much much better. GF and I did some A/B testing with and without the scalar, and it was a very very significant difference. SD material looks almost HD, not quite but will fool you.

I believe the Westy does absolutely no processing in 1080p. So all the scaling is taking place in the VP50, and it does its magic. I have also hooked up my Macbook to the scalar and it does its magic with SD DVDs as well. I have them both hooked up and a single HDMI cable to the TV.
 
Think of it this way, Liver: if the Westy performs as good or better than the Sharp, then you should definitely get the former. That's why I recommended for YOU to check out the displays for yourself and decide. There's no reason to get the more expensive Aquos if you find the Westy to be what you're looking for, unless you must have 32" 1080p. The 37" really isn't so much larger that it would become inconvenient.

Why spend more money for similar or inferior quality?

When I spoke of "range," I'm referring only to price, not quality. The Westy is low-end in PRICE, not necessarily quality. The 37-40" Aquos models are cheaper than some other 1080p HDTVs, but that doesn't mean that they can't compete with "upper-range" products.
 
Think of it this way, Liver: if the Westy performs as good or better than the Sharp, then you should definitely get the former. That's why I recommended for YOU to check out the displays for yourself and decide. There's no reason to get the more expensive Aquos if you find the Westy to be what you're looking for, unless you must have 32" 1080p. The 37" really isn't so much larger that it would become inconvenient.

Why spend more money for similar or inferior quality?

When I spoke of "range," I'm referring only to price, not quality. The Westy is low-end in PRICE, not necessarily quality. The 37-40" Aquos models are cheaper than some other 1080p HDTVs, but that doesn't mean that they can't compete with "upper-range" products.


I also like the Westy because I know that it is a temporary purchase. I will replace it. I am trying to break the constant upgradeitis, but it is a hard thing.

i am also moving around quite a bit, temporary jobs.

What would you consider to be upper range products? I had a 46inch 1080p Bravia, and it was great. Best TV I have had. I left it in my house in SC. I am in AZ now. I do not think that I will see that TV in my place of residence soon. I will continue to rent the house out furnished. It was a great TV, but still not the "ummph" that we are all looking for.

expensive, er hobby.
 
Back
Top