Basic windows networking help

DeadByDawn

Limp Gawd
Hi net gurus,
I just created a new windows 8 PC called MachineA.
I am trying to get to another PC on my network called MachineB.

I am having a problem with new MachineA reaching MachineB.

Here are the facts:
- MachineA has the windows firewall service disabled
- MachineA has Internet access.
- MachineA is plugged into the same switch as machineB.
- MachineB is reachable from other PCs on my network.
- when I browse my network using the built in windows network browser, MachineB shows up. But when I double click, it either errors or prompts for name and password.
- I have the default workgroup at home with no AD or home domain.
- my username and password is the same on all my home pcs.
- when I get prompted and provide credentials, it doesn't like them. I use the unc notation \\MachineB\ or just clicking on the machines icon.
- when I ping MachineB from MachineA, I get 127.0.0.1 as the IP. (Remote desktop complains too).
- there is nothing in my host file on machine A
- in the process of setting up and prior to applying windows updates, it worked at one point.

Please help.
Thx in advance.

When u see 127.0.0.1 when pinging the other machine, is that an indication of some kind of loop back?,

sounds like you need to turn off password protected sharing on the other machine.

network and sharing center > change advanced sharing settings > select network type (shows in network and sharing center as home, public or work) > make sure "Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders". Also a little farther down, turn off password protected file sharing

you do want windows firewall turned on, and make sure that you do not have this machine in a dmz or anything like that in your router so only your local network can see this

Back