Basic Stamp microcontroller for thermostat control?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
I now heat a small office building ( 10x10 ) with a 12v made in china Diesel fueled 'parking heater' which is a clone of an Eberspacher. I power it with a 30A LED/ 3D printer thermostat and it works phenomenal except the thermostat. It's a mini fuel oil furnace basically

The thermostat never turns the unit off rather adjusts the fuel rate higher depending on temp, or it relies on a timer, whichever you set up. It's far from perfect. But it does have a wireless remote that turns it on and off manually regardless of temp

I'm thinking I could use a regular heating unit programmable thermostat, a micro controller and the wireless remote to turn this on and off.. Wire the basic stamp into the micro switch pins of the remote for output and then the thermostat swich for input, and then write a program so that when the thermostat clicks on, it powers the on button, and when it clicks off, it powers the off button. Pretty simple, but the question is would that actually work?

I decided to use an Arduino Uno. The Stamp is over 20 years old and about zero information on it's limitations anymore.. Arduino even has an example program that can be modified to do what I want. Kind of cheating but, if it works it works

Back