Druuge Fuel
n00b
- Joined
- Oct 14, 2011
- Messages
- 15
RAM configurations confuse me so maybe you can help me understand all of this. For what it's worth, I'm a video and photo editor so the RAM helps a lot for pre-rendering and previewing files.
When I originally ordered my computer I purchased 2x2GB of this RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193
Recently I got 2x4GB of (I think) the same type of RAM.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416
My questions are these:
1. Currently I only have DIMM A1 and B1 populated with the 4GB models. Would adding the additional 2 smaller sticks to A2 and B2 be a bad idea for whatever reason? (eg. Would it put additional strain on my PSU? Would mixing the different GB models cause compatibility issues, etc?)
2. I just noticed that my 2x4GB sticks aren't on my motherboards QVL and the 2x2GB models are. That a problem?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12298137/Memory QVL_M4A87TD_0421.pdf
I'm not sure what the disclaimers mean about overclocking and ddr3 1600 in that document.
3. Everything in my BIOS is on AUTO right now - should I manually set the RAM information in my BIOS? Should the values be different if I decide to populate all 4 DIMMS? I found this sticky post on G.skill's message board but it's kind of confusing me.
http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688
Appreciate the help in advance!
For reference, here's some of my hardware.
-Asus M4A87TD USB3 (Latest BIOS)
-XFX 650w Modular Power Supply
-Phenom II x6 1055T
When I originally ordered my computer I purchased 2x2GB of this RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193
Recently I got 2x4GB of (I think) the same type of RAM.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416
My questions are these:
1. Currently I only have DIMM A1 and B1 populated with the 4GB models. Would adding the additional 2 smaller sticks to A2 and B2 be a bad idea for whatever reason? (eg. Would it put additional strain on my PSU? Would mixing the different GB models cause compatibility issues, etc?)
2. I just noticed that my 2x4GB sticks aren't on my motherboards QVL and the 2x2GB models are. That a problem?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12298137/Memory QVL_M4A87TD_0421.pdf
I'm not sure what the disclaimers mean about overclocking and ddr3 1600 in that document.
3. Everything in my BIOS is on AUTO right now - should I manually set the RAM information in my BIOS? Should the values be different if I decide to populate all 4 DIMMS? I found this sticky post on G.skill's message board but it's kind of confusing me.
http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688
Appreciate the help in advance!
For reference, here's some of my hardware.
-Asus M4A87TD USB3 (Latest BIOS)
-XFX 650w Modular Power Supply
-Phenom II x6 1055T