Basic overclocking question??

JD03Cobra

Limp Gawd
I'm on the noobie side of overclocking so bear with me...

I've overclocked my Opty [email protected] and everything is running stable (Vcore 1.375). I noticed in my Bios settings that my ram (set to auto) is defaulted to 333 (hz i think). The ram i have is Corsair DDR 400. I changed to manual and bumped it up to 400. It posted on reboot but locked up before loading windows.

For performance reasons/gaming what do I do? Leave it alone, bump it up to 400 and slow down the over clock?

Setup:
Opty175
Asus A8n Premium
2g Corsair XMS

Thanks...

if you bump it up to 400, its actually running at fsb x 2, so it would be trying to run at 263mhz or 527mhz which is why you see the crashing. at 333 its running at 218mhz or 437mhz which it can probably handle since it is good ram.

with x2/opty's you won't see much of a performance decrease when running the ram on a divider. you could lower the divider more and try to increase your overclock even more

I would leave it as is, and maybe download memtest and run that before booting windows to make sure it is stable

I think the multiplier for the 175 is 11 right? well its 333mhz/400mhz (to find what divider you are running on) = 0.8325. Then you multiply your fsb by that, so 2900ghz/11 = 263.6mhz

so 263.6mhz * 0.8325 = 219mhz

If you download cpuz it will give you the exact frequencies everything is running at including ram.

I believe those calculations are correct... if not, somebody please speak up. but trust the cpuz frequencies.

:eek: Ok...you're right. I checked CPUz and your mhz lined up. One last noob question...I thought i'm only running dual channel when set at 400mhz in the bios. When bumped down to 333mhz I assumed it's single channel or 219mhz only. I think you were figuring I was still dual channel or 437?

I'm sure I'm wrong but I believe you over me.

As long as your runing your Ram in slots 1&3 or 2&4 your should be in "dual channel" mode....regardless of your bios divider settings:)

yes you should be in dual channel mode if you have them in the right slots

is that your max overclock?

yes you should be in dual channel mode if you have them in the right slots

is that your max overclock?

Getting 2.9Ghz was fairly simple. I've tried bumping up the bus speed so I could hit 3Ghz but no luck. It will post but not boot up. I'm trying to keep the heat down on the CPU so I haven't been bumping up the vcore much. No water either, I'm using a Zalman 9500.
Under load I hit about 60-62c so I'm not sure at what temperature it becomes unsafe to the processor.

Thanks a ton for your help!

bumping your vcore could let you be stable above 2.9ghz, but 61 under load at stock voltage is already pretty high, although not bad for that much of an overclock :)

What program are you using for displaying your temperatures? I would consider using coretemp as it seems to be the most accurate and displays the core diode temperatures for each core. If you are getting 60-61C in coretemp, I would say those are safe temperatures to run under, although any higher may be a bit of a concern.

did you try lowering your htt multiplier?

I have used a few differnt programs to watch the CPU Temps but lately I have been using the Asus Probe that came with the motherboard. Not sure how accurate it is...I'll try coretemp and report back. Thanks.

No I have not tried dropping the multiplier. Not really sure what that does for me to be honest. Are you saying to bump down to 9 or 10 and raise the bus speed to match the same 2.9Ghz im running at now? What does that do for me? Remember gaming performance is my motive here.

no sorry not that. its either labelled as 5x or 1000mhz. you could lower to 4x or 3x and see if your overclock works better

no sorry not that. its either labelled as 5x or 1000mhz. you could lower to 4x or 3x and see if your overclock works better

Sorry not sure what you mean here. Are you talking about a memory multiplier? I went through my bios to look for something your're talking about but I didn't see anything.

Core Temp by the way is displaying around 34-37c at idle between the two cores which is a little cooler than what the motherboard probe was displaying (38-39c). Showing both cores in a more realtime is cool!

Well, its usually described as the HTT multiplier or HTT link. it is simply the fsb x (a specific multiplier). on most boards, I think the max is 1000mhz. so, at stock speeds with the fsb at 200mhz, the htt mult. will be 5x, since 200mhz x 5 = 1000mhz. when you open up cpuz, the ht link is right below the bus speed on the main page. you usually want that below 1000. if it is not, that might be holding you back slightly and you could still potentially obtain a better overclock

and what is coretmp showing under load? mine usually sits right around 57C and occasionally can reach 60, which are reasonable temperatures

cpu voltage seems low if at1.375, is'nt stock 1.4?
and if your ram mhz is less than 400, you really won't notice.
mine dropped to 266 to acheive my OC, and it's not noticeable

cpu voltage seems low if at1.375, is'nt stock 1.4?
and if your ram mhz is less than 400, you really won't notice.
mine dropped to 266 to acheive my OC, and it's not noticeable

Thank you kevdog and of course SumFatGuy! I was able to hit 3.0Ghz and very stable. I upped the vcore to 1.4, lowerd the ram mhz and upped the bus. My cpu now idle's around 39-40c load at 60c. Still testing though... For the record I did hit 3.1Ghz 282x11 but the cpu idle was at 45c and I never did hit the load tests. Here's the results.

3-1.jpg

Thank you kevdog and of course SumFatGuy! I was able to hit 3.0Ghz and very stable. I upped the vcore to 1.4, lowerd the ram mhz and upped the bus. My cpu now idle's around 39-40c load at 60c. Still testing though... For the record I did hit 3.1Ghz 282x11 but the cpu idle was at 45c and I never did hit the load tests. Here's the results.

Good work, and the temperatures look not too bad. should last you for a while now! enjoy your now 800mhz faster computer :)

I see you found your HTT multiplier...

Back