Basic overclocking question with my 4970k chip

Alag28

Gawd
(BTW - i meant to say 4790K in title oopsies)

so the 4790K runs at 4.0 ghz turbo boosted to 4.4 ghz.

im running the chip stock right now...my multiplier is at 40. when i change it to 45 its running at 4500mhz ( x 100.0 core clock)...after 15 mins or so my pc shuts off and restarts... according to CPUZ its running at 4500 and to my knowledge i went up another 100mhz...

am i interpreting this correctly?

btw im using a Gigabyte Z97MX- Gaming 5 mobo

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Manually changing the multiplier causes all 4 cores to run at that frequency. Turbo boost only causes a single core to go to 4.4GhZ.

The shutdown is because you don't have enough vcore for the overclock to be stable. There's tons of guides on the 'net on how to overclock Haswell/Devil's Canyon chips.

2 options or your chip lack of enough voltage or you are using autovoltage and the chip its overheating using too much voltage.. as a recommendation, never, never try to overclock without read couple of guides before if you don't have experience.

First you need to understand your board settings and then the CPU.
Read your BIOS portion of the board manual.

What CPU cooler do you use? You need good cooling first and foremost if you are overclocking.

Now to the board.

generally the 4790K is very easy to overclock.
about all you need to do is increase the multiplier and then increase the VCore
the rest of the MB settings can be set to auto.

Start out but making sure the board is set to manual tuning or whatever your board calls it. That way all the settings need to be adjusted manually or they will default to auto.
That way you wont get the board increasing every setting on you.
Second make sure the memory stays at stock....this should be a given if the board is on manual.
Now you want to disable Intel turbo function......you are setting the clocks, not the board. Plus you want to overclock all 4 cores, so find that setting on your board as well, it's called different things by different boards, on an ASUS board it's something like "all cores". If turbo is enabled only one core increases, generally speaking.

You should start gradually not just jump to 45 on the multiplier. Every board has it's limit. Your crashing may be that your board cant handle the overclock.
As you adjust the multiplier add a little voltage increase to the VCore.
I don't remember exactly, but most of the 4970k chips will clock up nicely with VCore at 1.25 to 1.3V
BUT please research that first.

Remember as you increase the voltage you increase the heat on the chip.
Good cooling is a must.

You need a stability software.
I'd recommend AIDA 64, there is a free version.
You click on the stability tab and choose the tests to run.
Each time you adjust, you run the test for about an hour, looking at temps and clock speed.
Monitor the temps with Hardware monitor or realTemp software.

A good reference for overclocking is to find an on line review of your board and read how the author overclocked the board.
That way you can see what settings they manipulated to get where they got.

Last edited:
First you need to understand your board settings and then the CPU.
Read your BIOS portion of the board manual.

What CPU cooler do you use? You need good cooling first and foremost if you are overclocking.

Now to the board.

generally the 4790K is very easy to overclock.
about all you need to do is increase the multiplier and then increase the VCore
the rest of the MB settings can be set to auto.

Start out but making sure the board is set to manual tuning or whatever your board calls it. That way all the settings need to be adjusted manually or they will default to auto.
That way you wont get the board increasing every setting on you.
Second make sure the memory stays at stock....this should be a given if the board is on manual.
Now you want to disable Intel turbo function......you are setting the clocks, not the board. Plus you want to overclock all 4 cores, so find that setting on your board as well, it's called different things by different boards, on an ASUS board it's something like "all cores". If turbo is enabled only one core increases, generally speaking.

You should start gradually not just jump to 45 on the multiplier. Every board has it's limit. Your crashing may be that your board cant handle the overclock.
As you adjust the multiplier add a little voltage increase to the VCore.
I don't remember exactly, but most of the 4970k chips will clock up nicely with VCore at 1.25 to 1.3V
BUT please research that first.

Remember as you increase the voltage you increase the heat on the chip.
Good cooling is a must.

You need a stability software.
I'd recommend AIDA 64, there is a free version.
You click on the stability tab and choose the tests to run.
Each time you adjust, you run the test for about an hour, looking at temps and clock speed.
Monitor the temps with Hardware monitor or realTemp software.

A good reference for overclocking is to find an on line review of your board and read how the author overclocked the board.
That way you can see what settings they manipulated to get where they got.

got it that explains the "turbo boost" part of it...just one core goes up to 4.4 not the other 3 cores

im using a closed loop H100i Corsair so im pretty sure i got some good potential with my setup.

now the main reason i would want to disable turbo boost is so that im working on a all 4 cores overclocking scenario without the "interruption of one core boosting? correct?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html

Pretty clear to me; Cores. I don't see where it says; CORE.

My CPU goes from 800mhz (it fluctuates in between) all the way up to 4.50ghz, yes with all 4 cores. I don't think I want to run at 4.50ghz just for web-browsing, plus all that wattage wasted.
I did the same thing with my Q6600, had EIST enabled as well.

You can run task manager or some such and note that generally one core, Core 0 accelerates
and the remainder stay at their baseline with turbo .

Turbo is also inconsistent.

I've had nearly every Intel CPU I've owned overclocked to some degree, and the chip runs that clock 24/7 for literally years with no issues.
To each his/her own.

You can run task manager or some such and note that generally one core, Core 0 accelerates

I've had nearly every Intel CPU I've owned overclocked to some degree, and the chip runs that clock 24/7 for literally years with no issues.
To each his/her own.

Ditto. I disable EIST. Or else, what's the point of overclocking?

is EIST same thing as turbo boost?

No. EIST is Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology, and it allows the processor to downclock/undervolt the chip under idle and low-usage scenarios to save power.

To each his/her own.

wtulid.jpg

why all cores are at 44? again stock chip and i have bf4 running in the backround

Last edited:
Weird; Even Intel says that only a single core will be boosted to the maximum Turbo frequency.

Run the Task Manager in windows and see what's what. (ctrl-alt-del)
That may be a misnomer in the software you are using....it is not 100%.

It may well be in the latest iteration of turbo that it hits all the cores?

I am not at all used to seeing all 4 cores up when turbo is engaged.

Weird; Even Intel says that only a single core will be boosted to the maximum Turbo frequency.

Some motherboards will automatically turbo boost all cores on certain CPUs to inflate their "stock" performance results as compared to other boards. Not sure if this is one of those boards, but it's been known to happen.

So, what you're saying is Intel is incorrect. The information they provide in terms of their Turbo Boost Technology is not what it seems to be.

Here's the video, and focus specially at 34 seconds:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...turbo-boost/intel-turbo-boost-technology.html

Do tell where the "inconsistency" lies?

Look friend. If you are want to call me out on this, be my guest.
If there is some kind of pleasure you get in this, great.

I've seen my CPUs jump from 3.5 GHz to 800 Mhz with in seconds, depending on the CPU load and the program.
If that isn't inconsistent, OK.

This tit for tat has nothing to do with this guy's questions about overclocking.

I don't enable turbo because I can do better manually.
I've never damaged a CPU.

If you don't know how or don't want to overclock your CPU, fine.

But that's kind of why this web site and forum exist.

Yup, maybe I'm all wet about turbo, but I don't use it, I apologize on bended knee if I have somehow turned the world upside down by speaking out of turn.

So, what's a feature in ALL Intel CPU confused you with being "inconsistent".

Isn't it from 800mhz to 3.5ghz? Since that a program or load will not "downclock" the CPU, rather over.

how about when a program stops or changes? then the CPU would respond, right? Not always up clock, but downclock, depending on the load.....right, Mr. wizard.

What is your issue?

Stop being an asshat and focus on helping this guy with his issues.
If you don't like what I'm saying, take it to a PM.

Some motherboards will automatically turbo boost all cores on certain CPUs to inflate their "stock" performance results as compared to other boards. Not sure if this is one of those boards, but it's been known to happen.

This is exactly why OP is seeing 4.4Ghz on all cores, since ~99% of the enthusiast MB's run all the cores at the CPU's max turbo bins...It started way back with the higher end 1366 boards and then nearly every Z68,Z77,Z97 etc..I haven't checked on the latest Z107 boards that Skylake calls home but I am certain they do the same thing..

Back