• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Basic Laptop/Notebook - Still Stuck, Need More Suggestions

-O-rigin

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 12, 2007
Messages
103
Well, it seems that my search for a cheaper (as in price) basic laptop or notebook has become an exercise in frustration.

I'm looking for something reliable but basic, with XP installed on it, enough RAM that it runs smoothly (just generally; no heavy progs), doesn't need a huge drive, battery life doesn't really matter since it will be plugged in most of the time, and offers the ability to reformat from it's own native DVD drive (and comes with whatever mobo drivers are needed, if any, on disc...?) if/when the need arises.

I've been attempting to find something in the $500 range, but it's been impossible so far. Anything with 2GB of RAM and a smaller screen (which isn't a huge issue) is at least around the $800 mark and up.

I'm also trying to stay away from Dell or Gateway.

I just need XP to run quick and stable, and be able to install light 3rd-party progs, mostly A/V etc. It's to be used for a lot of emailing etc. so I don't have to have any of my gaming rigs running all day.

Trying to find what I'm looking for has been proving difficult, so if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.
 
Well, Dell is about the cheapest...so other than them, what about buying a used one?
 
I dont know why you are frustrated...seems like an easy search

TONS of notebooks who fit requirements....you just need to find some that have XP drivers so you take off Vista and throw XP on there. Check ones out you like...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101118

seemed okay and I dont see a reason why someone shouldn't be able to put XP on it given the specs (and despite the one reviewer who had trouble with the hard drive recognizing with XP (for obvious reasons))

other poster was right....THERE are TONS of notebooks you could nab off EBAY "used" (especially corporate lease systems, Lenovas/IBMs and such) for that budget.
 
Back
Top