Basic 3-4TB 7200RPM Drive Recommendation

Domingo

Fully [H]
The subject line pretty much says it all. Looking to get a new large drive for storing system images and random things like savegame back-ups and program installers.I don't need it to be blazing fast as I won't be running anything off it. Yet I don't want Macrium Reflect images to take like 4 hours either.

Any recommendations as far as brands to go with and/or avoid?
It looks like Amazon has quite a few options around the $90-100 range.

drescherjm

[H]F Junkie
Yet I don't want Macrium Reflect images to take like 4 hours either

Unless you get a SMR drive there really is not a big performance difference between 7200 RPM drives.

arestavo

[H]ard|Gawd
I'd say steer clear of 3TB Seagate Barracuda hard drives. Of the 8 that I purchased 4 or so years ago, all of them have died. Every single one, and only two died within the warranty period (and their replacements died about six months to a year after).

Supposedly the larger capacity Seagates are more reliable, although I'm not going to be trying them anytime soon.

IdiotInCharge

NVIDIA SHILL
Unless you get a SMR drive there really is not a big performance difference between 7200 RPM drives.

Even then, it's not that big of a deal for this purpose. SMR drives are actually perfect for backups. I have 4x8TB Barracudas in a RAIDZ1 for this purpose right now...

RogueKitsune

Weaksauce
The only drives I would say avoid for right now are the WD 6TBs. Otherwise its really just pick whatever you think works best for you.

Domingo

Fully [H]
I ended up going with the 4TB Seagate. It was only $10 more than the 3TB, and apparently the 3's are notorious for having issues. I haven't seen any posts with troublesome 4's.
It won't get a whole lot of use. It's basically only there for weekly image back-ups and storing a few old savegames and installers in the event I have to totally reformat.