Barton 2500+ and overclocking = newbie :)

MATTRESS

Gawd
I've heard all the hype about the barton 2500+ being able to overclock to 3200+ and maybe more.

I also heard that AMD started locking their processors w/ no way of unlocking.... I can't imagine this being true, AMD has never done this :p even the athlon XP's had the pits you could cover up and connect the bridge :)

Here's the stepping code off the barton I just got:
AQXEA 0350 WPMW

I can overclock this thing .... right?

Thanks!
-Matt

Yes you CAN overclock
But it IS multiplier locked.

Luckily the 2500+ and 3200+ both share the same default multiplier of 11x, so it is just a matter of increasing the FSB clock to 200 and you'll have yourself a 3200+.

What mobo, memory, etc??

I got a Biostar m7ncd-Pro mobo .. it had everything i wanted in the asus a7n8x ... but for half the price. I'm hoping i didn't make a bad decision, it's the first time I haven't bought a big name like asus, i've never even heard of biostar heh..

and 2x Geil pc3200 256mb ram for dual channel ddr ... i'm hoping this is gonna be nice and fast :)

thanks for your reply, it was very helpful!

also, will o/cing the processor to 3200+ take advantage of the pc3200 ram? (DDR400)

Originally posted by MATTRESS
also, will o/cing the processor to 3200+ take advantage of the pc3200 ram? (DDR400)

Yup.

DDR400 = 200Mhz
3200+ = 200FSB

Overclocking to 200fsb would have your memory running synchronously ...which is how it's meant to be at all times, with an AMD rig.

Look for a DRAM ratio in your BIOS...set it to 1:1 (or N:N where n is any integer available). You may see it as a percentage instead. In this case, set it to 100%.

Take it slow. Increase to 180fsb FIRST. Then test for stability. If not stable, then increase VCore by 0.05V and check stability again. Once it is stable, you can increase fsb again to 200, and repeat stability testing. Give more VCore to keep stability when unstable and keep temps below perferably below 50C, but 55-60ish is OK.

Programs of use..

Prime95 - torture test > blend (for cpu & memory testing) - I recommend 30min - 1hr. More than that is worthless, IMO ..unless you contribute to a distributed computing project where information needs to be dead accurate.

Memtest86 - loop test #5 for a few runs(for memory testing)

3dmark2001 and any games you play.

CPU-Z
& Sisoft Sandra - memory bandwidth module

google for them.

it should be nice and easy to OC ur setup
good ram too :D
just up the FSB to 200, with 5 Mhz increments (dont wanna risk anything now)

Great chips! You may get lucky and it will run at 3200+ with stock voltage, or it may need a bump up to about 1.75v to get stable. Either way, its pretty damn easy.

Originally posted by MATTRESS
I got a Biostar m7ncd-Pro mobo .. it had everything i wanted in the asus a7n8x ... but for half the price. I'm hoping i didn't make a bad decision, it's the first time I haven't bought a big name like asus, i've never even heard of biostar heh..

and 2x Geil pc3200 256mb ram for dual channel ddr ... i'm hoping this is gonna be nice and fast :)

thanks for your reply, it was very helpful!

My barton runs at 2100mhz, 1.65vcore on modified stock cooling. Runs about 52C, 100% stable

On an NF7-S 2.0 though...and with corsair xms 3500 ram

Originally posted by LyL18
How do you know if your PC is unstable?

It's unstable if your running WinME :D

Seriously, run prime95 in torture mode for 48 hours. If it dont crap, you do good :D

-/LB/-

I don't think you need to let it run for 48 hours, maybe 24. I would run Memtest86 prior though just to make sure your RAM is all good.

I usually just run SiSoft Sandra CPU, MultiMedia CPU and Memory for starters if it doesn't crash then I run 3D Mark 2003 (Usually the one to crash on). Then I let it run SETI overnight.

After all that I'm pretty confident its stable.

be advised though that even if something like Prime95 crashes, you still might be able to run your box stable-- many people don't have any problems with their boxes even though Prime95 crashes after a half hour or whatever.

I'm a big newbie into this whole overclocking thing too, and short on cash, so I'm a bit nervous in this, I just want to double check if my NF-7s and my Kingston DDR 400 256 X2 dual channels will hold up to overclocking to 3200+. I've added a thermaltake extreme 12 to the cpu, so for the exception of the size of my lanboy, I'm pretty sure heat is not an issue. I'm pretty sure I can pull this off, anybody have some advice for a poor little newbie?

Wow you guys take it way too easy!! :D

On my cousin's machine I built I just set the FSB to 200, upped the VDimm .1 and booted it up. It's been there ever since without a single stability problem.

Well... Overclocked., crashed out until I raised the CPU voltage from 1.5-1.75v, Not sure how safe that is, but so far, all is good =\ rather nervous though... Anyone have anythign to say about hte voltage?

What was said above; you've got a nice cooler on your cpu, just take the steps from about 180 mhz in 5 mhz steps and check your stability each way. If it's not stable, add the NEXT STEP of vcore only and try again.

Mine did fine at 11x200 with stock voltage and that's luck not skill; hope you have the same; now it's at 208 and going up. And I have an epox 8rda+/1.1 which is supposed to be lesser than yours so you have every chance.

Got my 2500+ to 222 today with 1.825 Vcore. Any less voltage, and it would crash in windows. Using a volcano 9, I'm at 46 degrees idle/50 load.

How much does RAM play into this? I've got some fairly cheap Samsung 3200 RAM at the moment. I'm a bit iffy about upping voltage on my computarinator, Do I have to do it on my RAM?

Originally posted by angrybusdriver
1.825 is healthy, right?

I heard 1.85 is kind of the limit for Barton 2500+'s. True?

Yes, I think that's pretty much the limit for air cooling. I know it's my personal comfort limit! :p

1.85 is nothing. i'd go higher (probably to 2.00) if my motherboard'd let me, but it stops at 1.85. i do have a paly, but i'd do it to a barton as well if it needed it to get more fsb.

actually i really wish i could get to 1.9 vcore or so because then i might be able to break 2ghz with my paly. that'd be lots of fun:)

and o yeah, i'm cooling with an alpha + a tornado @ 3600 rpm. fun stuff:D

I searched back and found this thread. Helpful stuff.

Anyways, how far do you think I could go up with the stock HSF. I'm planning on buying the Ultra Inifinity and some Corsair Value 256MB DDR400. The case I'm gonna use is the Antec SLK3700AMB with 1 120mm rear fan.

Should I wait till I get a better HSF and another case fan before I OC, or do you think I could do it safefully with everything being stock?

That's what the problem has been.. The NF-7s aren't getting the FSB they used to get... While the DFI Infinities have been cranking out FSB that no one has ever seen..

I am using the stock HSF and I can hit 3200+ easy at stock voltage, I haven't tried going over but I am sure if I had better RAM I could bump it quite a bit more.

Back