Barnes & Noble NOOK eBook reader $149/$199

Bahamut

n00b
Got an email about this earlier, figured I'd pass it along:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/...er-_-Other-_-100630_NF01_nookSummer-_-navnook

I can't confirm if the offer is available in actual B&M B&N (that's Brick & Mortar, it's not a typo because it's Barnes & Noble hehe) stores but, for $149 you can get the Wi-Fi only version, and for $199 (down from $259) you can get the Wi-Fi + 3G version.

I see Amazon just bought Woot! and guess what they did... I'll make another thread. :)

haha, that is the regular price, as for B&M. the 149 model is harder to find, so if you want one of them you have to go to a larger Store. Now i did get an email for 20% off, one single item at B&N that might work on them. but since i already found the 149 model of the Nook, i will use it on a case

Got my Nookie today. So far I like it. Easy to use and easy on the eyes. PDF's are a little glitchy but nothing I can't live with. All in all it seems to be a solid little ereader.

Got my Nookie today. So far I like it. Easy to use and easy on the eyes. PDF's are a little glitchy but nothing I can't live with. All in all it seems to be a solid little ereader.

If you have text files along with the PDFs if you convert them to epub they look amazing. I think it can convert PDF's to ePub as well but I am not sure if that works very well.

Calibre is an amazing program that converts and manages your eBooks.

Anyone have more info on the 20% off coupon?
I'm interested in picking up a Nook as well.

Anyone have more info on the 20% off coupon?
I'm interested in picking up a Nook as well.

It can't be used for the Nook or Nook accessories according to the fine print. (At least the one I just got, I am assuming its the same one)

If you have text files along with the PDFs if you convert them to epub they look amazing. I think it can convert PDF's to ePub as well but I am not sure if that works very well.

Calibre is an amazing program that converts and manages your eBooks.

Thank you sir. Just DL'ed it and will be playing with it this evening.

Does bing cashback work for Nook?

I would assume that it does. I wonder if this would work...

B&N has an option to buy e-gift cards and they add to the cart just like any other item. I was thinking I could buy an e-gift card for $150 and earn 8% bing cashback. Once, I received the e-mail for the gift card code, I could make a second purchase for the nook itself and earn another 8% cashback.

I would assume that it does. I wonder if this would work...

B&N has an option to buy e-gift cards and they add to the cart just like any other item. I was thinking I could buy an e-gift card for $150 and earn 8% bing cashback. Once, I received the e-mail for the gift card code, I could make a second purchase for the nook itself and earn another 8% cashback.

But bing cashback option doesn't show up as it does for other items on B&N's website. Did anyone get their bcb? (I definitely want to go for the 3g version and bcb would save me the amount that I would pay in tax in CA).

How does the Nook work for pictures? I read manga on my Sony eReader and read very few books in pdf. My eReader is pretty old, so it's refresh is horrendous. I'd like to upgrade to something better. I tried the latest Sony models and it's refresh is like half. I tried my friend's kindle and that's even quicker.

How does the Nook work for pictures? I read manga on my Sony eReader and read very few books in pdf. My eReader is pretty old, so it's refresh is horrendous. I'd like to upgrade to something better. I tried the latest Sony models and it's refresh is like half. I tried my friend's kindle and that's even quicker.

Pictures are the holy grail. Maybe someday color e ink will make it's appearance. till then, we're stuck with B/W. I never realized how easy e ink is on the eyes till my nookie arrived. Back light is definitely taboo when it comes to readers.

But bing cashback option doesn't show up as it does for other items on B&N's website. Did anyone get their bcb? (I definitely want to go for the 3g version and bcb would save me the amount that I would pay in tax in CA).

Just read the fine print on bing cashback for B&N. Nook isn't valid, but the e-gift card should work, or at least it's not excluded.

Pictures are the holy grail. Maybe someday color e ink will make it's appearance. till then, we're stuck with B/W. I never realized how easy e ink is on the eyes till my nookie arrived. Back light is definitely taboo when it comes to readers.

I'm not all that worried about color. Manga (Japanese comics) are pretty much only B/W anyways. I'm just wondering how fast it can load the images.

Fujitsu also puts out a color eInk reader. The FLEPia It runs Windows CE too. Think it runs $1000 or something though. Only available in Japan.

fujitsu-flepia-ebook-reader_RUz2K_54.jpg

The screen size of the nook and kindle make the text pretty small on the comic pages, I tested it out for someone the other day. I think your best bet for comics would be the new Kindle DX.

No memory card reader on the Kindle DX. If all I read is books, it'd be fine, but comics take up a lot more room.

Three things the Nook has over the Kindle -

1. Micro SD card slot for expansion.

2. Replaceable battery.

3. The ability to share books.

I've never seen a Kindle but these 3 things made me choose the Nook instead of it. Amazon needs to pay more attention to the competition.

I liked the color touchscreen... I picked one up from my Barnes and Noble... 14 day return policy so we'll see how it handles a bunch of programming books I got in digital form.

I liked the color touchscreen... I picked one up from my Barnes and Noble... 14 day return policy so we'll see how it handles a bunch of programming books I got in digital form.

Are they pdf''s? Post back your experience then, thats what I'm interested in using it for too.

I think it depends on how your pdf's are formatted, if they're just images (like scans from a book) they look bad on any e-reader.. but if they're properly formatted text + images it should fair better.

Either way I have pdf's, .chm's and ePub's that I'll try out... the ePub's were converted with calibre from the .chm's or .pdfs

Well now im typing from the nook the browser isnt much but the touchscreen isnt that bad

EDIT: Now from the PC...

So far it seems to be a little buggy... you press a button and nothing happens and then other times it works flawlessly. Maybe I'm pressing buttons too fast. So far with reading PDF's it does seem to depend on the formatting. On one of the PDF's I have, resizing the font made drastic un-readable changes... medium size was readable but too big, the next size down was way too small and extra small was even worse. I'll keep playing with it and come to a conclusion a little later.

But then reading an ePub version of another file you can read extra-small just fine... But anything formatted differently (like code) which is usually a different color, maybe a light gray... it makes it difficult to read on the e-reader. I noticed this same issue when I tried out a Kindle DX...

I think it really just depends on how your files are formatted, if you throw it plain black text it's really fine for reading.

Last edited:
I bought the nook last week, and quickly became my #1 used gadget. I just love reading on this thing. Loaded up over 200 books and will take me some time to get through them all :D

Well now im typing from the nook the browser isnt much but the touchscreen isnt that bad

EDIT: Now from the PC...

So far it seems to be a little buggy... you press a button and nothing happens and then other times it works flawlessly. Maybe I'm pressing buttons too fast. So far with reading PDF's it does seem to depend on the formatting. On one of the PDF's I have, resizing the font made drastic un-readable changes... medium size was readable but too big, the next size down was way too small and extra small was even worse. I'll keep playing with it and come to a conclusion a little later.

But then reading an ePub version of another file you can read extra-small just fine... But anything formatted differently (like code) which is usually a different color, maybe a light gray... it makes it difficult to read on the e-reader. I noticed this same issue when I tried out a Kindle DX...

I think it really just depends on how your files are formatted, if you throw it plain black text it's really fine for reading.

You have to hold your mouth just right when you press the buttons on the touch screen. If you don't it does screwy thing like jump the to bottom of the screen with one push. I've found that a quick tap works best.

Yea I noticed the same thing in the store, I think it's related to the home button too, if you press too high on the touch-screen it will usually jump to the home screen when you didn't want it to.

I rooted my nook wifi (as well as a friend's who ordered hers the same day) and I gotta say...pretty nice. Any format I can't use is nicely converted to epub (GOD OF ALL ELECTRONIC BOOK FORMATS) with calibre.

"My Books" is far superior to the default book sorter on the nook. Also, rearranging my icons is cool too.

What's the folder structure on the Nook? I get annoyed with the Sony one, as pretty much everything on my memory card are jpegs. Anyways, it lumps it all into one, even though I have it sorted into different folders on the card. I end up having to rename all the files to make some kind of sense.

If the Nook uses the folder structure on the card, I think I'll order one. If not, I might end up having to look elsewhere.

I'm thinking about picking up a Nook myself. I went and played around with one at Barnes & Noble today.

I wouldn't mind a screen around 8" compared to the Nook's 6", otherwise I really liked it. I won't buy a Kindle DX or an Ipad because they are too expensive.

At $149 I should be able to just enjoy the device, rather than worry about it getting damaged.

I rooted my nook wifi (as well as a friend's who ordered hers the same day) and I gotta say...pretty nice. Any format I can't use is nicely converted to epub (GOD OF ALL ELECTRONIC BOOK FORMATS) with calibre.

"My Books" is far superior to the default book sorter on the nook. Also, rearranging my icons is cool too.

How hard was it to root? Thinking about doing it to my nook 3G.

I got one for Christmas and I use mine all the time. Each Firmware they put it out it improves more and more. They are up to 1.4. I surf with mine a lot and let me just say from the original firmware to now the response from the touchscreen is a lot better.

The reason I went with the Nook is - WiFi/3G, Micro SD, and one of the major selling points for me is that I can change the battery without sending the unit out. Like the Kindle and the Sony reader. Borders is about/or already have released their e-reader the KOBO..

Looked at the Kobo online. Seems like it would have been better when the Nook was still $259. The Nook has double the onboard memory plus the color touchscreen.

I think I'll be picking up a nook tomorrow. It's hard not to want one after playing around with it in-store.

How hard was it to root? Thinking about doing it to my nook 3G.

Rooting was super easy.
1. You downgrade to 1.0 by dropping a single file on to the nook's internal drive and unplugging it from the computer.
2. Then you need to put another file on your microSD card (the rooted 1.4), and hold the right hand "page forward" button while you turn on your nook. As soon as you see it's updating, you let go of the button.

Download the files you need (and you can read a more verbose guide) here.

i agree, it so much easier to read for longer hours. and i used to read on my phone. so the screen size help.

as for manga, i havent tried those yet.

Played with both the Nook & Kindle the other day. I've gotta say, I like the nook better. It is by no means awesome.. but the nook is better than the kindle. Whether I'd get either over an asus eeePC or light tablet PC is another decision altogether.

Back