Barely profitable...

Because I'm in a good mood, I'll take this even further. Check out this guy's playlists:

https://www.youtube.com/user/breezeprz/feed

He has absolutely detailed, step by step explanations and instructional vids on how to get set up with Mining pool hub, as well as how to get set up to mine specific algos and coins. He must work in tech support somewhere, cause if you can't follow him, I can't help you then.
Enjoy your no-bullshit profits :)

Please, post your feedback in this thread, I'd be curious...

Thanks for the information. I'll update once I've gotten up and running.

Mining pool hub with Awesome miner, standalone mining clients, such as Claymore; there is so much more out there that's more profitable, it BOGGLES ZE MIND! (and I'm not butt-hurt about nicehash, but I did read about the hacked disaster that it is :) )

I've switched back and forth between AM and MPH and other pools and nicehash on several occasions.

IMO, nicehash is more profitable, if autoconverting to BTC, anyway. The only time I ever see AM and MPH make the anticipated profits is if you don't autoconvert to a coin and you stick to one coin. For instance mining eth only with AM and MPH the prediction was spot on. With nicehash - what they say you'll get is at least what you get.

Whattomine usually has nicehash in the top three most profitable places to mine --- and whattomine - only considers mining one coin with nicehash (which isn't as profitable as letting it mine what it wants). Point in fact, every time I've ever checked my real world profits against whattomine - my nicehash profits have actually been higher than what whattomine states, and my AM profits lower or the same. (with the exception of just once)...

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong, and make more money elsewhere if I am wrong --- but I don't think it's through MPH and AM.

now if you are also trading coin actively and mining specifically for that purpose --- all bets are off -- but if you are just autoconverting to BTC -- so far nicehash has been very lucrative for me in comparison to the other pools and tools I've tried.

Must be the scaling, then, I guess? The more mining hardware you have, the more the profit loss of 11% on nicehash begins to diminish, compared to the other places. I only have 3 480s, a 580 and a 970 and 2 r9 270s, what do you have? A specially built shed with its own 30 AMP electric line, with god knows what inside?

I would've liked to check the numbers, but that doesn't seem to be possible now, seeing as how the latest NH software does not support AMD GPUs anymore, and the algos are different between the latest version and legacy, with the exception of CryptoNote, which is not necessarily the most profitable algo to mine...Any ideas?

I would've liked to check the numbers, but that doesn't seem to be possible now, seeing as how the latest NH software does not support AMD GPUs anymore, and the algos are different between the latest version and legacy, with the exception of CryptoNote, which is not necessarily the most profitable algo to mine...Any ideas?

If you run the "legacy" version it still supports AMD. don't think just because its "legacy" thats its inferior. it gives you way finer control and anyone who is seriously using NH is using the legacy version.

profitability is a joke right now. I generally keep a chunk on straight eth for covering costs and the rest of my power towards collecting a wide variety of coins as lotto tickets. Thats just how the hodlgang rolls.

You don't have to run the NH software to mine on their "pools". I run a mix of HIVE OS and Awesome Miner controlling Windows boxes. I run my 1060 rigs against the NH ETH pool and most of my other rigs against the NH Equihash pool. I'll occasionally switch one of more rigs to mine something else that peaks my interest on say MPH or some other pool. A few mouse clicks in either HIVE or AM will switch one or more rigs between pools and coins. But like Archaea, I have found that NH provides the more consistent return overall. I mined ZCL for the last 2 weeks of February for example just before the BTCP fork, and for now anyways, that was pretty much a waste.

You don't have to run the NH software to mine on their "pools". I run a mix of HIVE OS and Awesome Miner controlling Windows boxes. I run my 1060 rigs against the NH ETH pool and most of my other rigs against the NH Equihash pool. I'll occasionally switch one of more rigs to mine something else that peaks my interest on say MPH or some other pool. A few mouse clicks in either HIVE or AM will switch one or more rigs between pools and coins. But like Archaea, I have found that NH provides the more consistent return overall. I mined ZCL for the last 2 weeks of February for example just before the BTCP fork, and for now anyways, that was pretty much a waste.

ZCL got pump-and-dumped just recently, big time, so yeah, I see where you're coming from.
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/zclassic/

My personal opinion is that, of all the coins out there, the ones worth mining are ETH (maybe ETC, dunno, haven't tested yet), XMR (which will soon be forked), ZEC, and maybe BTG, but I only have 1 nvidia card (zotac 970), so really, not much else makes sense for me to mine. Bitcoin itself I can get by either the in-wallet transform (shapeshift?) function or trade.

Last edited:
I noticed the mining pools/servers are fading! LoL! Looks like mining is dying or returning back to the original days. Over inflated GPU prices are dropping down, there is no question about that! The only question is, do we sell the coins or hold?

I noticed the mining pools/servers are fading! LoL! Looks like mining is dying or returning back to the original days. Over inflated GPU prices are dropping down, there is no question about that! The only question is, do we sell the coins or hold?

Honestly I have no idea! This is about as predictable as putting it all on red at a roulette table. All of your statements seem true, but 3 weeks from now, who knows if they still are?

Whattomine can get you close. you have a single 970. That's somewhat comparable to a single 1060 except you'll be spending more on electricity, and probably have a slightly lower hash rate. You can see nichhash is 3rd on the list for the last 7 days, and it's close. The thing that's missing here is that's if you mine one thing on nichehash - in this case equihash. But time has shown that just mining a single algorithm on nicehash is NOT more profitable than letting the Nichhash client autoswitch. So that third place choice easily becomes first place (in my experiences).

Not only that - but when I've tried to mine specific coins - I've just as often found that the whattomine stats are a little bit high for the other coins.

So a little low for nicehash, and a little high for the other coins - and roll it together and put several months of testing to it - and it is my opinion and experience that nicehash is typically more profitable.

https://whattomine.com/coins?utf8=✓&adapt_q_280x=0&adapt_q_380=0&adapt_q_fury=0&adapt_q_470=0&adapt_q_480=0&adapt_q_570=0&adapt_q_580=0&adapt_q_vega56=0&adapt_q_vega64=0&adapt_q_750Ti=0&adapt_q_1050Ti=0&adapt_q_10606=1&adapt_10606=true&adapt_q_1070=0&adapt_q_1070Ti=0&adapt_q_1080=0&adapt_q_1080Ti=0&eth=true&factor[eth_hr]=22.5&factor[eth_p]=90.0&grof=true&factor[gro_hr]=20.5&factor[gro_p]=90.0&x11gf=true&factor[x11g_hr]=7.2&factor[x11g_p]=90.0&cn=true&factor[cn_hr]=430.0&factor[cn_p]=70.0&eq=true&factor[eq_hr]=270.0&factor[eq_p]=90.0&lre=true&factor[lrev2_hr]=20300.0&factor[lrev2_p]=90.0&ns=true&factor[ns_hr]=620.0&factor[ns_p]=90.0&lbry=true&factor[lbry_hr]=170.0&factor[lbry_p]=90.0&bk14=true&factor[bk14_hr]=1550.0&factor[bk14_p]=90.0&pas=true&factor[pas_hr]=580.0&factor[pas_p]=90.0&skh=true&factor[skh_hr]=18.0&factor[skh_p]=90.0&n5=true&factor[n5_hr]=26.0&factor[n5_p]=90.0&factor[l2z_hr]=420.0&factor[l2z_p]=300.0&xn=true&factor[xn_hr]=2.1&factor[xn_p]=90.0&factor[cost]=0.1&sort=Profitability7&volume=0&revenue=7d&factor[exchanges][]=&factor[exchanges][]=abucoins&factor[exchanges][]=bitfinex&factor[exchanges][]=bittrex&factor[exchanges][]=binance&factor[exchanges][]=cryptopia&factor[exchanges][]=hitbtc&factor[exchanges][]=poloniex&factor[exchanges][]=yobit&dataset=&commit=Calculate

It does not matter too much between legacy and 2.x versions -- they both have their advantages --which generally neutralize in the wash.

I've mined with as many as 12, 1060, 12, RX580, and 15 or so 1080TI at once. I've gone through right at 60 cards though trying different things, making money on resale when the market spiked, or market opportunity allowed. etc. Currently I only have 10, 1080TI mining. Profits are by far the lowest I've seen them since June at the moment, and I suspect it will get worse before it gets better.

Whattomine can get you close. you have a single 970. That's somewhat comparable to a single 1060 except you'll be spending more on electricity, and probably have a slightly lower hash rate. You can see nichhash is 3rd on the list for the last 7 days, and it's close. The thing that's missing here is that's if you mine one thing on nichehash - in this case equihash. But time has shown that just mining a single algorithm on nicehash is NOT more profitable than letting the Nichhash client autoswitch. So that third place choice easily becomes first place (in my experiences).

Not only that - but when I've tried to mine specific coins - I've just as often found that the whattomine stats are a little bit high for the other coins.

So a little low for nicehash, and a little high for the other coins - and roll it together and put several months of testing to it - and it is my opinion and experience that nicehash is typically more profitable.

https://whattomine.com/coins?utf8=✓&adapt_q_280x=0&adapt_q_380=0&adapt_q_fury=0&adapt_q_470=0&adapt_q_480=0&adapt_q_570=0&adapt_q_580=0&adapt_q_vega56=0&adapt_q_vega64=0&adapt_q_750Ti=0&adapt_q_1050Ti=0&adapt_q_10606=1&adapt_10606=true&adapt_q_1070=0&adapt_q_1070Ti=0&adapt_q_1080=0&adapt_q_1080Ti=0&eth=true&factor[eth_hr]=22.5&factor[eth_p]=90.0&grof=true&factor[gro_hr]=20.5&factor[gro_p]=90.0&x11gf=true&factor[x11g_hr]=7.2&factor[x11g_p]=90.0&cn=true&factor[cn_hr]=430.0&factor[cn_p]=70.0&eq=true&factor[eq_hr]=270.0&factor[eq_p]=90.0&lre=true&factor[lrev2_hr]=20300.0&factor[lrev2_p]=90.0&ns=true&factor[ns_hr]=620.0&factor[ns_p]=90.0&lbry=true&factor[lbry_hr]=170.0&factor[lbry_p]=90.0&bk14=true&factor[bk14_hr]=1550.0&factor[bk14_p]=90.0&pas=true&factor[pas_hr]=580.0&factor[pas_p]=90.0&skh=true&factor[skh_hr]=18.0&factor[skh_p]=90.0&n5=true&factor[n5_hr]=26.0&factor[n5_p]=90.0&factor[l2z_hr]=420.0&factor[l2z_p]=300.0&xn=true&factor[xn_hr]=2.1&factor[xn_p]=90.0&factor[cost]=0.1&sort=Profitability7&volume=0&revenue=7d&factor[exchanges][]=&factor[exchanges][]=abucoins&factor[exchanges][]=bitfinex&factor[exchanges][]=bittrex&factor[exchanges][]=binance&factor[exchanges][]=cryptopia&factor[exchanges][]=hitbtc&factor[exchanges][]=poloniex&factor[exchanges][]=yobit&dataset=&commit=Calculate

It does not matter too much between legacy and 2.x versions -- they both have their advantages --which generally neutralize in the wash.

I've mined with as many as 12, 1060, 12, RX580, and 15 or so 1080TI at once. I've gone through right at 60 cards though trying different things, making money on resale when the market spiked, or market opportunity allowed. etc. Currently I only have 10, 1080TI mining. Profits are by far the lowest I've seen them since June at the moment, and I suspect it will get worse before it gets better.
Yeah, it's like the crypto market is a reflection of the regular stock market - everything is going to shit at the moment. What I keep telling myself is, just keep on mining, keep on swimming, the FUD will eventually end, and when it does, I will have that many more coins in my wallet :)

Yeah, it's like the crypto market is a reflection of the regular stock market - everything is going to shit at the moment. What I keep telling myself is, just keep on mining, keep on swimming, the FUD will eventually end, and when it does, I will have that many more coins in my wallet :)

One problem, when markets tank, difficulty doesn't go down!

there used to be a nice inverse relationship between stocks and crypto. there also used to be a inverse relationship between ether and bitcoin. oh how i miss those days.

One problem, when markets tank, difficulty doesn't go down!
I suppose that is why we need to have some self-control, and need to take a real deep breath, maybe go for a walk in this nice crisp winter (in March?!?) night, and chillax; hold to our coins and keep mining/trading/swimming :)

Was coming here to chime in that in 2010 with a 5870 you could mine about 0.25-0.5 a day.

This was when it cost B10,000 for a pizza, and it never made sense to me to spend effort doing this.

You sure on those numbers? I remember pulling in more than 10 per day in the beginning. Looking at the historical timeline of Bitcoin difficulty, and using the hashrate of a 4870 at the time, it seems much higher.

You sure on those numbers? I remember pulling in more than 10 per day in the beginning. Looking at the historical timeline of Bitcoin difficulty, and using the hashrate of a 4870 at the time, it seems much higher.
No. Not sure

With Cryptonight in the tank (ETN and Graftcoin) I just moved my VEGAs over back to ETH since I can use the regular gaming drivers and rid myself of that stupid BC Driver. Running 850/1100Mhz/.8Vcore and I am seeing between 40-43Mh/s per card and using ~135W per card. Watercooling the cards really makes a huge difference in performance and power usage. Am in the process of deploying another pair of 8GB 580s,and am thinking about picking up a watercooled V64 I saw in the FS/FT forum but I have exceeded my crypto budget for the month so I have will have to ask the wife if I can dip into the fun money for it. Luckily she is all about crypto! I have kept 5 cores of my 1600 on ETN @420H/s so I can keep stockpiling them as well. I really can't decide which will blow up first, ETN or Graft so I bounce back and forth.

I am going to HoDl until the end of summer at the earliest. Depending on the temperatures here in Oregon (extreme Northwest right on the ocean) I may have to stand the 580 rig down since AC is unheard of in this area. We have a spare bedroom that is only used a few times a year so I might just put the rig in there and keep 2 box fans blowing on it.

Yeah. I was making like $2/day (if even) on a Titan X Pascal. Decided it was better to sell, got $1,200 for it. So basically, I gamed on the Titan for 1 year, mined for another 3 months, and then sold for what I bought for.

I am going to HoDl until the end of summer at the earliest. Depending on the temperatures here in Oregon (extreme Northwest right on the ocean) I may have to stand the 580 rig down since AC is unheard of in this area. We have a spare bedroom that is only used a few times a year so I might just put the rig in there and keep 2 box fans blowing on it.
Astoria or thereabouts? From one fellow Oregonian to another - Hello!

I've been following my mining pattern in the past few days. I'm earning about twice as much as I've earned before, in the amount of coins. Once it's back to its original price I will be the one laughting at everyone who stopped mining beause of too high cost :D

Making about $25 a day with just CPU miners on monero. That's not a great way to do it, they take less power than GPU but I wouldn't say they're more efficient.

The one big positive about CPU miners over GPU miners? They NEVER go down. I don't mess with risers, troubleshooting, anything. I have 10 rx580's and 18 gtx1060s and another 16 1050tis, all doing eth, and it's always something every month to fix, taking it offline, blah blah blah. The cpu miners are like diesel trucks and the gpu's are like sports cars. The sports car is faster and gets more chicks, when it's not in the shop

Making about $25 a day with just CPU miners on monero.

That's gotta be a LOT of CPUs and free power.

At my power cost, that would take about 32 Ryzen 2700X to net around $25/day profit.

Last edited:
Making about $25 a day with just CPU miners on monero. That's not a great way to do it, they take less power than GPU but I wouldn't say they're more efficient.

The one big positive about CPU miners over GPU miners? They NEVER go down. I don't mess with risers, troubleshooting, anything. I have 10 rx580's and 18 gtx1060s and another 16 1050tis, all doing eth, and it's always something every month to fix, taking it offline, blah blah blah. The cpu miners are like diesel trucks and the gpu's are like sports cars. The sports car is faster and gets more chicks, when it's not in the shop
you also have WAAAAAY higher costs. buying the mobo and everything sucks. You can get servers though in the like $700 range for dual 10 core Intels but for mining Ryzen is pretty tough to beat even then for density you'll want to put one or 2 gpus in. Crank up passmark on this; https://www.labgopher.com/ If you're wanting CPU mining and mixing in a chunk of burst you can find some nice bargains with those around the dual 2670's. The V2 CPU's help a decent amount too.

It's refurb dell multi node boxes. They sell for almost nothing. I pay 5c/kWh for electricity

You should help the [H] with BOINC projects every once in a while. We could use you for some of our challenges we do every so often. Like right now we're in a 3 day, run everything you can Sprint for Formula-BOINC. The project uses CPUs and GPUs.

No I dont buy the blade servers, i buy the C6220's, they are either 2 or 4 nodes in a 2u chassis. The blade servers end up costing too much

Most of the ones I get are the 4 node, each node has 2 xeon 2660's or 2670's in it. So each node does 900-1kh/s on cryptonight/v7

I've stopped buying GPUs, they do have better profitability than the CPU miners I just got tired of dealing with risers, troubleshooting, etc. The dell nodes boot from an sd card, have an image premade that boots and runs xmrig, just burn it to a card, slap it in, power it on and it's golden. No downtime on any of them.

*Some of the gpu rigs I have, they've run flawlessly. I've got two rigs that never had issues, they are both nvidia. I have had nothing but problems with the AMD ones, and having to flash bios in windows before moving them to linux, etc. Just a hassle. The poweredge servers are just set and forget right out of the box.

No I dont buy the blade servers, i buy the C6220's, they are either 2 or 4 nodes in a 2u chassis. The blade servers end up costing too much

Most of the ones I get are the 4 node, each node has 2 xeon 2660's or 2670's in it. So each node does 900-1kh/s on cryptonight/v7

I've stopped buying GPUs, they do have better profitability than the CPU miners I just got tired of dealing with risers, troubleshooting, etc. The dell nodes boot from an sd card, have an image premade that boots and runs xmrig, just burn it to a card, slap it in, power it on and it's golden. No downtime on any of them.

Nice. How much power do those 4 node boxes draw while mining?

I suppose that is why we need to have some self-control, and need to take a real deep breath, maybe go for a walk in this nice crisp winter (in March?!?) night, and chillax; hold to our coins and keep mining/trading/swimming :)

It does, but not immediately.

My profits are back up to ~.01 btc/d, whereas at the low point about a month or two ago they were barely holding .007 btc/d.

Inertia

;)

BudgetBuilder Well, this same setup was doing almost .02 btc/d in Jan/Feb. so... :D

Profitability by btc/d is definitely recovering, but this is expected.

Back