Barebone Servers - Newegg Edition

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone have an experience with the barebone servers from newegg?

We have once in a while ended up in a jam needing a server next day or so, and Dell doesn't fit that category. Has anyone used a barebone for a small biz that has been just find? Was not looking for anything major, just a Raid 1 box for a small domain/file server, no exchange.

I got a Tyan one from them a few years ago and its been solid for me. Honestly Newegg just resells the parts though so you're probably going to want to look more at recommended manufacturers like SuperMicro and Tyan reviews then you are for reviews for Newegg.

Could be other sites as well, just something if you were in a jam you could get fast.

Any sites sell pre configured servers that are good? Looking on the cheaper level.

Could be other sites as well, just something if you were in a jam you could get fast.

Any sites sell pre configured servers that are good? Looking on the cheaper level.

Dell has some cheap low end servers for ~600 shipped that would make decent backup/failover machines
Buy one ahead of time

I have no experience with any of the barebone severs at Newegg, but the reviews look good on them. The prices are great as well. Supermicro seems to be one of the best brands out there

I have no experience with any of the barebone severs at Newegg, but the reviews look good on them. The prices are great as well. Supermicro seems to be one of the best brands out there

supermicro is one of the best "lesser knowns" (not as big as dell/hp/gateway)

Silicon Mechanics also sells servers built with Supermicro parts http://www.siliconmechanics.com/
Although If I'm reading the OP right, You will probably be better off at shopping at a reputable refurb/used seller. Someone posted stikc.com a while back, they seem to have good deals on machines, and there is always the dell outlet.

I think going for a refurb/used box is probably going to be your best bet if you need it there ASAP.
Although I would recommend having an extra "loaner" box available as mentioned earlier.

Silicon Mechanics also sells servers built with Supermicro parts http://www.siliconmechanics.com/
Although If I'm reading the OP right, You will probably be better off at shopping at a reputable refurb/used seller. Someone posted stikc.com a while back, they seem to have good deals on machines, and there is always the dell outlet.

I think going for a refurb/used box is probably going to be your best bet if you need it there ASAP.
Although I would recommend having an extra "loaner" box available as mentioned earlier.

I was dreaming and build a server to the tune of 78k. 4x 6-core xeons...:drool:

I bought 4 1RU servers from ABMX a few years ago, cost was low and haven't had an issue with any of them in over 2 years.

Back