bare HDD mod

Harlequin

n00b
Mod-job on an old 2Gb drive, plenty of flaws, but most don't show up in the pic :D so I thought I'd post it:

window-hdd.gif

The colour changing based on HDD activity isn't as balanced as I want, so that part is still a work in progress, but hey, I have an animated pic of it, I figured I might as well post it :)

Thats actually pretty cool. I think it would be good looking to have a flashing hd in a comp, not to mention how useful the activity reader could be.

i modded a 2gb hard drive once, i thought i did a good job on it, i made sure the workspace was clean and dust free (as dust free as i could get it).

i removed the cover, placed the drive in a ziplock bag, cut my window, then installed the plexi and sealed it up with some silicone sealent and finally put it all back together.

it worked fine for about 3 weeks, then died while installing knoppix linux to it :(

compslckr said:
it worked fine for about 3 weeks, then died while installing knoppix linux to it :(

I was thinking about trying this, so i'm concerned about this point. What do you mean by died? I would never trust data to a modded HD, but obviously if i go through all the trouble, having is stop spinning up after three weeks would suck.

compslckr:

It wouldn't surprise me if that will be the fate of this one, since it's my first attempt. I'm currently looking into building a small cleanroom, since I aim to mod a 60Gb drive, which will be even more risky :) (This drive is a practise run)

Out of interest, what were the symptoms when it was dead - would it still move and stuff (ie be useful for display even though you can't use it for data) or did everything just lock up?

when i said that mine died i meant that it will still spin up and and the arm will move, but make horriable grinding noises as if there was dirt being rubbed between the arm and the platter.

it still looked pretty cool seing it spin and move, so i kept it in my case for a while in front of the window for show.

Superstoner:
Wow, awesome job. That's really good to hear. Any tips or special tricks that you thinked helped?
How did you go about cleaning the inside of the modified top? (That seems to me to be the hardest part to be sure about).

Back