Bard's Tale IV Announced

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by Eradan, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Eradan

Eradan [H]ard|Gawd

First computer game I beat back in the 80s on my C64 and still my favorite. Fond memories leveling my party on the streets of Skara Brae and mapping the dungeons. Very much looking forward to this and will definitely be backing once it hits Kickstarter.

More here:

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-bards-tale-iv-announced/

Still have my C64 version. Fired it up on the Commodore a year or two ago. Everything still works, but easier to play on IOS and PC now.

J3RK likes this.
  2. LordBritish

LordBritish 2[H]4U

I still remember playing Bard's Tale I on a PC back in 1985/1986.

Hacking the player character files was fun. I made myself into a god :p

dvsman likes this.
  3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones [H]ard|Gawd

I had it on Nintendo lol... I would rather they make another Wizardry.....

DeathFromBelow likes this.
  4. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

You did that too? *high five* :D

dvsman likes this.
  5. Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner 2[H]4U

6. bigdogchris

bigdogchris Wii was a Novelty

It has been. I've been productively bitching about it in the Torment thread.

7. Bangorang

Bangorang Limp Gawd

apple 2e here..one of the few rpgs I actually finished

and as far as wizardry goes, if you didn't buy chart paper and map out the layouts of the maps by hand like I did, you are NOT an old school rpg player..oh what joys the young ones these days have missed out on..mapping out levels was real IMMERSION ..it was as if you were IN the damn dungeon

but the best immersion was system shock ONE...I still remember a few of those levels..omfg some of them scared the living crap out of me..that game was so far ahead of its time, its not even funny

good times

8. Mozex

Mozex [H]ard|Gawd

I played Bard's Tale III on our Apple IIc as a kid - sometimes just as the mapping copilot for my older brother. I'm definitely looking forward to this game. I hope it has some sort of built in auto+manual mapping system.

PS, If you haven't tried them the Etrian Oddysey games on DS/3DS captured a lot of the fun mapping I remember as a kid.

9. Q-BZ

Q-BZ Stay [H]ard

This is relevant to my interests. :)

10. Yakk

Yakk [H]ardness Supreme

I was toying with funding this one, but will probably wait for release. Looks good.

11. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

You can work with the composer and make your own music for the game if you pledge enough I would love to put some Ultima Midi type of music I this game from the City of Wind just make it similar.

12. bigdogchris

Up to 1.3 Million with 10 days to go. I wonder if they are scrambling from receiving far less funding than their previous two games?

With the success of Wasteland 2 and it now coming to consoles, I just don't see them needing Kickstarter anymore. If they keep making good games they should be self sufficient.

13. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

14. joikd

joikd [H]Lite

15. bigdogchris

I think the concepts they have out for the game are very cool but I've said before it's way too early for them to be trying to get more money from us.

16. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

Same I liked Knights of diamonds better.

17. Kinsaras

Kinsaras 2[H]4U

18. DedEmbryonicCe11

DedEmbryonicCe11 [H]ard|Gawd

I have Bard's Tale II with the box and manual in great condition. Someone donated it along with some ancient computers to the school my mother worked at. Sadly, I don't think the floppies themselves work anymore (at least they didn't on the machine they were donated with). The box even has a pad of graph paper the first owner mapped out the dungeons on.:D

19. bigdogchris

That commercial is funny. But I have a feeling that 1.4M is no where near enough, even if they add 1.25M of their own money. This game has a pretty big feature set.

20. kbrickley

kbrickley [H]ardForum Junkie

I just backed this as my tenth KS project :)

21. LeninGHOLA

LeninGHOLA Vladimir Hayt

I think they will do a great job with this. I'm in.

22. Supermr2

Supermr2 Limp Gawd

WOW that brings back memories...

23. Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner 2[H]4U

Looks pretty good IMO.

Seelenlos likes this.
  24. bigdogchris

It looks like a pre-rendered concept to me and not actual gameplay. But if that is the direction they are going I will be pleased.

25. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Whoa that interface in front with the characters is pretty slick kinda like what Doom and Quake the original did with the battered space marine.

26. Seelenlos

Seelenlos [H]ard|Gawd

I liked the responses of the creatures to what was happening. However if there isn't variety that will get old pretty quick.

27. ncjoe

ncjoe Limp Gawd

looks good, I'll probably get this , but hopefully the responses of the pcs/npc can be toggled
    to be off/on or other options in between.

I agree with Seelenlos above statement... it could get old , that's why I'd like a slider adjustment.

28. Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner 2[H]4U

29. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

I thought this game looked cool at first but now I don't like it seems tacky I stopped playing Wasteland 2 for the same reason.

30. bigdogchris

Is it just me os does that look completely pre-rendered? It's almost like they filmed the world first, then overlayed the GUI using CGI to show you what it "supposed to" look like.

31. ncjoe

ncjoe Limp Gawd

so is this game going to have a map of area you're exploring ??

I hope I don't need graph paper like the original ... that was to much..

32. Seelenlos

Seelenlos [H]ard|Gawd

ahhh Wizardry flashbacks!

33. Domingo

Domingo [H]ardForum Junkie

Looks really cool, but I'm honestly not sure I can go back to turn-based combat like that.

34. Astral Abyss

Astral Abyss 2[H]4U

That combat is painfully slow. Imagine 50 of those battles per dungeon, maybe more... I don't think I could handle it for long before the little quips became annoying.

35. jiminator

jiminator Capt Obvious

welp, that may or may not be good. hopefully you can turn off the bullshit. Would get old fast if you have to listen to it after every move. Sort of like kill-cams. They are good as a concept but annoying in application.

36. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Steam release 2018....not sure of the release date but watch some of the videos the Bards Harp is kinda cool I wish the character wouldn't turn around all the way maybe 3/4 turn would look better. Hey it might be better than Wasteland was which I couldn't get into for the life of me.

Eradan likes this.
  37. bigdogchris

Depends on how it's designed. Turned base is OK if you want to take your time at the beginning setting up your buffs or attacks. But at the very end I like being able to spam a basic attack to quickly get through turns when I know the enemy is about dead. As long as you can do that I would be fine with the combat.

38. Eradan

Eradan [H]ard|Gawd

Released for PC on September 18, 2018, console later this year. The dev working on the remasters of the original trilogy is planning a late July release of BT1. Looking forward to that as much (or more) than the new game. BT1 is my favorite game of all time.

NoOther likes this.
  39. LurkerLito

LurkerLito 2[H]4U

Dam, not too happy with the turned based combat I saw in that video (mainly because I am kind of tired of the turned based RPG genre games like Original Sin 1/2 and Pillars). But I am a backer so I am getting it either way. For some reason I was thought they were going to make it ARPG-ish like the Bard's Tale (2004) version so it was my mistake. Oh well, I guess I'll see when I get it on GoG, but given that I haven't finished either Divinity games, Wasteland 2 or Pillars 1, I don't know if I'll ever finish it.