Barcelona @ 1.6GHz benched by Dailytech!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What either of you aren't getting is that this arguement has gone nowhere.

If you two want to bicker, then take it to PM. You even have members asking you to tone it down because they don't want to read it.

So please, do us all a favor and give it a rest.

My patience is wearing thin here.

What you're not getting here is that:
1) Pretty much every modern application draws windows, so general purpose.
2) Fusion won't make things like drawing windows faster, because they simply don't consist of massive streams of floating point operations. So, not general purpose.

No, because the part of an interpreted environment that incurs the performance hit, is *general purpose*, and adding a Fusion chip won't make it go any faster. In fact, the extra overhead will probably make it slower to use Fusion for most simple floating point operations.
Only if you have a large enough workload, Fusion may start to pay off... But this is, as I said many times before: niche.

The stupid part is that you obviously have no idea what you're talking about... how an interpreter works, and how Fusion fits into this equation, even though I've already spelled it out in quite a few posts.

Listen Scali, I'm not going to start the "quote game" Besides, I'm better at it then you.

What you dont get is that for "General Purpose" An Athlon Thunderbird is just as fast as a C2D. They will both dwar a window on screen equally well. This is where Fusion comes in. We have 2-4 amd64 cores to handle the GP loads..... For anything else that can benefit from a FP array, it'll be available.....

Now Scali, dont even for one minute think this is going to end with Fusion. That is just the start of it. Lets face facts here, In some respects Fusion is not Ideal. Great for SIMD loads, but not so good for things like Logic, or Integer Math.... Dont be surprised to see an Logic array added eventually. Or an Integer array... This will be in addition to Fusions SIMD array.

It will still have 4 legacy cores for handling GP code. Fusion will introduce a SIMD array. Some future architectures will introduce Logic and integer arrays.

What you dont get is that for "General Purpose" An Athlon Thunderbird is just as fast as a C2D. They will both dwar a window on screen equally well.

No it's not.
The C2D is faster. The user may not perceive it as faster, but it is, meaning there is more idle time to do other tasks. Which is very convenient since most applications don't just draw windows, but they also perform some kind of task.

This is where Fusion comes in. We have 2-4 amd64 cores to handle the GP loads..... For anything else that can benefit from a FP array, it'll be available.....

Yes, and for everything that doesn't benefit from an FP array (eg, all current software and most future software), you still have 2-4 AMD64 cores that are slower than 2-4 Core2 cores, and a Fusion chip that you paid good money for, that's just taking up energy and heating up your PC for nothing.
Which is my point. Fusion may bring lots of extra processing power, but if most people aren't going to use it, what good is it?

There's no way to win an argument about how coders will receive a product so far into the future. Until we get substantial proof either way, it's just dueling speculations. Until then, you're both right, and you're both wrong.

Enough.

Sweet jesus Scali and Suby need to get on AIM or something. This is ridiculous. I am doing it right now, and I suggest everyone else do it too, just put them on the ignore list. Please don't quote their posts I don't want to read anymore. My eyes hurt.

Man o man did this thread clean up after adding those two.

There's no way to win an argument about how coders will receive a product so far into the future. Until we get substantial proof either way, it's just dueling speculations. Until then, you're both right, and you're both wrong.

Enough.

Alright I'm done. Sorry for going on.

On a lighter note.... I still like my idea of "Positive and Negative" :D :D

There's no way to win an argument about how coders will receive a product so far into the future.

Except that I'm a coder and I already know what I can and cannot do with Fusion in the future. So I know how I'll receive it.
In fact, I actually belong to the few % who DOES get an advantage from such a processor.
Massively parallel FP stuff is exactly what I do a lot of the time.
I'm just being realistic in knowing that I'm the exception to the rule.
In other words, I may actually buy Fusion systems myself, but I'm not going to recommend them to most regular users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back