• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Bar-type visualiser?

Breex243

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
252
I'm looking for a program that has a good bar-type visualizer. Think the "bars and waves" in WMP, but hopefully this program can be stand-alone by picking up whatever signals are coming from my PC's sound card, as I plan on using it with DJ software, as well as various media players (WMP11, Media center, as well as Foobar).

Unlike "bars and waves", I'm looking for something that can full-screen and automatically scale the bars' horizontal and vertical dimensions to different screens. Also, being able to select more (finer) bands would be preferable, say a 64-band visualizer.
 
Sorry, no luck googling here.

It's hard to intercept the data you want, just so you know. The audio program pushes stuff to the sound card, and you want another program that sits around and intercepts everything. It's far easier to do as a plugin to the first program since it knows what data it's about to push.
 
You are looking for a "spectrum analyzer", not to just say google it, but search around and you'll find one that fits exactly what you want.
 
Foobar2000 has that built in, from 20 to 160 bands of spectrum analysis, and full screen capable as well. Some examples:

40 band, client window only (as I set mine up, could care less about some fancy ColumnsUI config):



80 band, full screen:



and yes you can alter the color scheme if you wish, with some editing of a config file.
 
+1 to 80sRule and Joe Average.

80s--I always think of an ocsillioscope when I think of a "spectrum analyzer", so thanks for the info on terminology
Joe-thanks for the info regarding Foobar.
Thanks a lot you two!
 
Yeah, it's part of what oscilloscopes do.

Programmatically the bar thing is a binned Fourier transform of the output stream. Extremely easy - if you can get the data.

Foobar's is still just a plugin though, it graphs Foobar's output not the output of the sound card's analog stage.
 
Back
Top