Bandwidth Shaping

Hi Folks,
Does anyone know of a good ADSL router that can be used to throttle internet bandwidth allowance depending on MAC Addresses ? Currently I've a number of PC's and Mac's connected to my home LAN, and whilst LAN traffic speed is fine, the internet bandwidth can become congested pretty easily. I'd like to use a router that will allow me to prioritise traffic if possible (QOS ?).

Currently I've got a Netgear DG834G ADSL Router connected to a LAN 'managed' by a Netgear GS734T smart switch. I had thought the smart switch could do this for me, but it doesn't seem to work at MAC level, so when I have a number of clients connect via wireless it simply throttles all of them.

Appreciate any advice.

Andy

I just noticed when I updated today to Toastmans lated Tomato USB build for my Asus RT N16 that it can do b/w limiting and shaping as per mac address

capturelwt.png

As usual, if you had a Mikrotik this would be really easy, just use queues, or linux iptables and I'm sure pfsense has someweird ass way to do it

Thanks for the reply - I've checked out the Asus router & it looks pretty good. The Tomato FW is also really interesting. (though won't support my older Netgear router).

Is it easy to go back to the Asus FW after having Tomato on there ?

Andy

Not sure, first thing I did was put dd-wrt stdkong on it

Defaults are not [H]

Back