Ballmer to Yahoo: You Have 3 Weeks to Decide

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Microsoft’s CEO Steve Ballmer told Yahoo’s Board of Directors that they have 3 weeks to make a decision regarding the takeover deal.

"If we have not concluded an agreement within the next three weeks, we will be compelled to take our case directly to your shareholders, including the initiation of a proxy contest to elect an alternative slate of directors," Ballmer wrote.

Way to ramp up the pressure, but I don't think it will work. Then again there have been all kinds of takeover surprises in the last few months along with a number of companies going bankrupt. Looks like Lehman Brothers is next.

Comrades of the Yahoo! Domain, I call on you to resist! Not one step backwards!

"If we have not concluded an agreement within the next three weeks, we will be compelled to take our case directly to your shareholders, including the initiation of a proxy contest to elect an alternative slate of directors," Ballmer wrote.

Dem there's fightin' words...

I still think Yahoo is stupid for not accepting it.

But yes, this does ramp up the pressure, and sets in stone that they are not dealing anymore in 3 weeks (Which will, IMO, further hurt Yahoo's stock if they don't take it).

Seriously though, Yahoo shareholders come out ahead, but the board is holding it back. IMO self-preservation on the board's side of things.

As much as I dislike some things MS has done, I think they're right to do what they have done. Yahoo's Board is obviously concerned about their own asses first, and not their investors. They all know or think they know, they would all be gone if MS buys out Yahoo. They figure if they can get a better deal with someone else.

As much cash as MS has, no one should bet against them in a hostile takeover. I guranntee they could hand anyone, except maybe Berkshire-Hathawy, their heads.

Microsoft’s CEO Steve Ballmer told Yahoo’s Board of Directors that they have 3 weeks to make a decision regarding the takeover deal.

DAMN MS is taking this ISH far, this is now officially a hostile takeover, lets watch and find out, I think it may happen and MS will be jus that much bigger and infamous.

Think there is any chance this might go to the courts, because it would start to become a question of Monopoly if Microsoft bought Yahoo. Then there would be only two major competitors in the Search engine business along with a number of other internet based businesses that Microsoft and Google would stand as the two main contenders for, assuming this acquisition did occur. It would be quite a court case to watch if it did get that far.

Yahoo will be begging for Microsoft's cash soon enough, much like the aging whore it is. Someone flip Yahoo over and look at it's expiration date, it's beginning to smell.

Send more metaphors!

ZhengHe ,

Maybe it will be the same courts that decided the Sirius and XM Merger. How many satellite radio providers do you get to choose from now?

If the EU let the google merger go through, they are probably just sharpening their axes and getting their money counting machines ready to see how much more they can bleed out of MS.

Think there is any chance this might go to the courts, because it would start to become a question of Monopoly if Microsoft bought Yahoo. Then there would be only two major competitors in the Search engine business along with a number of other internet based businesses that Microsoft and Google would stand as the two main contenders for, assuming this acquisition did occur. It would be quite a court case to watch if it did get that far.

you're kidding right? monopoly? ROFL

monopoly = no competition

DAMN MS is taking this ISH far, this is now officially a hostile takeover, lets watch and find out, I think it may happen and MS will be jus that much bigger and infamous.
How is it hostile?
They're simply setting a deadline. If I was offering anyone above-cost for their stuff, I wouldn't want my offer floating around in the air, either. I'd set a deadline, so I would know for sure if they want it or not.

As right now, Yahoo says NO they don't want it, but could easily turn around and take it. Microsoft is just saying, "Take it in 3 weeks, or it expires."

So right now, in search we have:
Yahoo+Google
If Microsoft bought Yahoo, we would have:
Microsoft+Google.

Nothing changes- this isn't a monopoly.

And I think people (you as well) forget Yahoo is much more than search.
I think Microsoft would be completely stupid if they wanted Yahoo for search, considering how poor its stock has been.

Nope, Microsoft wants Yahoo for its huge userbase, and most importantly, all the applications it has. Geocities, Search, Groups, etc, etc, etc... Yahoo has a TON of stuff.

This type of takeover is considered hostile, taking it to the shareholders. Just a label for a tactic.

Yahoo has been very immature about this, they stated it undervalued them but never gave a formal announcement of a "No" they just wanted more money and never told them "NO"

Now that their value has dropped with MS' offer still at the same it was prior they still are biting and I can understand where MicroSoft is getting a little tired of waiting or Yahoo's poor attempt to make them seem more profitable.

Taking it to the shareholders isn't a hostile take over, that would be if they just went straight to them to begin with, and I'm sure the shareholders are going to just love this while Yahoo doesn't make jackshit for what it could of made if it didn't act like they were the best search engine on the net.

This type of takeover is considered hostile, taking it to the shareholders. Just a label for a tactic.

If the board doesn't consent, you can always take it to the true holders of the corporation. Isn't hostile at all- the shareholders are the actual people that own the company- and they are the ones that profit.

meanmodda[H];1032325930 said:
In three weeks time Uncle Steve will touch you where the sun don't shine.

:D :D

Quite honestly I don't think anyone else is in a position to buy Yahoo...

Google can't for one reason: Monopoly. Without a doubt...
Disney/Apple can't because they simply have not the cash that Microsoft does.
AOL can't because they simply are pretty much dead

We shall see how this pans out, should be interesting ;)

We have all been following this story for a while now and the more we read and listen the more it makes me question why they want Yahoo so bad. Gee, I would really like to buy a 82' Gremlin that doesn't run for $30,000 but that just wouldn't make sense would it? Microsoft must think that just buying everything in sight will solve it's stale activity in the market?

The key part to understand is that MS has the clout to simply get a whole new set of directors elected that may be more agree'able to the merger. There are several hedge funds and a couple of large retirement funds that hold large chunks of Yahoo's stock that are very interested in seeing a 62% increase in the premium of their stock and given the chance to have a proxy vote will throw all the current board members out on their ear and put someone in place who will give them what they want

Microsoft must think that just buying everything in sight will solve it's stale activity in the market?
I seriously doubt that... Microsoft is pretty successful company. They have a reason for it- I just don't think anyone knows what that reason is right now (Probably upper management alone knows why).

Like I said- Yahoo has alot more than search. Microsoft could have interest to revamp the search (still has great potential), but Yahoo comes with more than search (Mainly, the way I see it- is a large community of members). That, and Yahoo is still the #1 site on the web ;)

The key part to understand is that MS has the clout to simply get a whole new set of directors elected that may be more agree'able to the merger. There are several hedge funds and a couple of large retirement funds that hold large chunks of Yahoo's stock that are very interested in seeing a 62% increase in the premium of their stock and given the chance to have a proxy vote will throw all the current board members out on their ear and put someone in place who will give them what they want
Now THAT would be hostile... Although Microsoft would have a strong argument that it is a hell of alot better for the shareholders gaining 60% versus losing...

What I want to know is.... where the fuck are the Microsoft shareholders in this? If Microsoft has that much cold hard cash money laying around, I have only one question....

WHERE'S MY DIVIDEND CHECK BEEATCH !!!! :eek::rolleyes::p

That is my money Fatty McBaldFuck, not yours to blow on virtual bullshit from cyber fairyland. :cool:

Yahoo!'s reply to Balmer is rather simple:

"Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!" (repeat 8 more times)

:D :D

Quite honestly I don't think anyone else is in a position to buy Yahoo...

Google can't for one reason: Monopoly. Without a doubt...
Disney/Apple can't because they simply have not the cash that Microsoft does.
AOL can't because they simply are pretty much dead

We shall see how this pans out, should be interesting ;)

Google agree
Disney If they where smart, they would at least try.
AOL/TimeWarner=Still a monstrous global conglomerate. I don't think getting the capitol to match the MS deal is too far fetched. Again, If they where smart, they would make an offer to Yahoo. Then, they could drop the Curse that is the AOL name(They where getting it together towards the end, but they screwed that up by giving customers such a hard time about cancellations. I.E. stealing their money!) AOL had some pretty powerful software solutions available. Match that with Mozilla, or even better, Opera based web browser and Yahoo's currently available web community and it could pay off in a big way.

Yes, I imagine it could...
I think Microsoft could do the same thing though.

Not sure how much cash AOL has on hand for something like this though... I'm still skeptical they would have enough to make an offer.

UGHH.... You mean they'll do to yahoo mail what they did to hotmail? Recode it in dot net, crash it constantly, lose people's emails and wire in all kinds of crap that make for a heinous user experience?

I can completely see the shareholders wanting this. What I cannot see is the customers and users of yahoo wanting it. If they wanted to be doing business with microsoft, they wouldn't have chosen yahoo.

UGHH.... You mean they'll do to yahoo mail what they did to hotmail? Recode it in dot net, crash it constantly, lose people's emails and wire in all kinds of crap that make for a heinous user experience?

I can completely see the shareholders wanting this. What I cannot see is the customers and users of yahoo wanting it. If they wanted to be doing business with microsoft, they wouldn't have chosen yahoo.

Actually Microsoft doesnt offer much of what Yahoo does.

Yahoo has two big things:
1) Huge userbase
2) Tons of sub-sites (Geocities, stuff like that)... it isn't just search and email.

Actually Microsoft doesnt offer much of what Yahoo does.

Yahoo has two big things:
1) Huge userbase
2) Tons of sub-sites (Geocities, stuff like that)... it isn't just search and email.

Given that microsoft didn't build these things, I seriously doubt it has the ability to manage them. That's going to be **** crucially **** important when integrating and wrangling all these sites around to get any strategic value from them.

I'd say..... assuming that yahoo holders are getting a good stock swap, then it's microsoft shareholders who will hurt (in addition to existing yahoo users/customers).

I'd say..... assuming that yahoo holders are getting a good stock swap, then it's microsoft shareholders who will hurt (in addition to existing yahoo users/customers).

The shareholders of the buying company are hurt 9 times out of 10 with purchases like this. Either way it doesn't help MSFT that large blocks of YHOO shareholders are opposed to the deal. 73% of YHOO shares are institutionally held and the majority of them believe that Yahoo has higher value in the longterm than selling their shares now to what Microsoft is offering.

Yahoo has a good deal of IT patents and technology that MS is seriously interested in. Yahoo uses tracing web beacons that are very advanced on the internet for sporting information on visitors and users. This technology alone would give MS an upper hand play against Google.

Back