Ballistix Temps

dextr3k

Gawd
Right now I'm currently on the P35 chip. In preparation for my new set of 2x2gb Ballistix ram, I set everything back to stock and popped them in. I booted them at 4-4-4-12, 800mhz @ 2.2v just like they were rated for.

After a couple loops of memtest, I felt the ram and they were burning up. I have no accurate way to measure the ram temperatures, but literally I could not keep my finger on the middle of the ram for more than a second because it would cause me pain (no that thats a bad thing :eek: )

I have 2 other sets of ram on hand, Gskills @ 2.1v and OCZ Platinums @ 2.1v also. At stock they are barely warm to the touch. I have been reading a lot about Ballistix dying lately, so I got paranoid and underclocked the Ballistix to 1.8v @ 5-5-5-18.

I guess my question is, is this kind of temperature normal for ballistix, and is there anyway I can keep an eye on the temperature? If it comes down to it, I will run them at stock speeds, but I'd hate for them to start dying on me and have to RMA every couple of months.

You don't need 2.2v for Ballistix...that's how a lot of people burn them out. I've run mine at standard 1.8v before at those spd/timings.

just tried, wasn't stable at 1.8v, it should be ok if i give it a bit more juice.

But I find it a little dumb that that the ram would go bad if you are running them at the rated speed/voltage.

They are rated for 2.2v, but that does seem really really high, and would just generate unnecessary heat. Anyways, I guess I didn't have too much to worry about, I always figured in order to overclock I'd have to above and beyond the rated voltage.

Currently, the sticks in my system are running at DDR2-1050, 1.8v, 5-5-5-15. I couldn't tighten the timings anymore or it'd refuse to post, but I guess that's because I'm trying my best to keep it at 1.8v. Thanks for all the replies guys.

nice, I had a set of DDR2 800 tracers that oc'ed well but my biostar 7025 only recognised as single channel..

Back