Baked 8600GT recognised as 4GB 8600GTS

Matthew Kane

Supreme [H]ardness
Yeah i had to bake a 8600GT, and then the electrolytic capacitors all burst itself, so I went on ebay and bought myself 20pcs of 820uf 16v Sanyo Caps to replace the 11 820uf 16v JXL caps. The thing is that, there is also 3 solid caps that smelt like shit when I baked it and took it out, and although it doesn't look damaged, it looks like its about to burst. With the replace caps stuck in the cap soldering holes on the PCB as a test and see if the system boots up, the system boots up right, but no display, to check if its VRM failure, I touched the card to see if it gets warm, and yes it does, so I change my display settings to Onboard, and then then chucked in the 8600GT in the PCI-Exp slot and booted into windows and used GPU-Z to see at least the card gets detected.

Heres what comes up
wtf2.png

Anyone have any idea what could be the problem, or whether I should replace the 3 Solid Caps? BTW, where abouts is the BIOS chip on a graphics card

Thanks

spend 50 bucks and replace the card with something better? (and clean up your desktop)

Last edited:
spend 50 bucks and replace the card with something better?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1521993

? :)

Regarding this card, baking is not a science. You never quite know what you are going to get as you are trying to reflow presumably cracked solder and traces damaged by heat but you often end up toasting other components as well that were never designed for 350° in the oven.

Why did you bake it in the first place? It's likely the original problem still isn't fixed or you damaged something else.

Capacitors are just for power filtering, the biggest spike you would be getting without actually using it in gaming would be on boot-up. I don't think damaged caps would change what the card is detecting as. Try a bios flash? Are you hoping to physically replace the bios chip on your card? Replace the solid caps if it feel like it would help but you should honestly just get a new card. It sounds like that card isn't going to make it.

8600 GTS with a 0MHz core and 4GB of 0MHz memory = FUBAR

Last edited:
who needs the stress? not like the card was anything special to begin with. throw it away and get something decent.

Just throw the card in the trash and buy soemthign else.

Was crap when it was made, nevermidn now.

Yeah true, anyway I'm just waiting for new 2x5970 given to me for free cards to come in soon. :)

Play GTAIV on it, with a 4gb frame buffer somebody could finally max that game out :cool:

Back