BAH! "tank" my butt...

Absentee

[H]F Junkie
well heres the story:
Got a great deal on a Nikon D1 (yes...the magnesium pro body camera...) on ebay.
As-Is for $150 shipped....

of course, it worked when it got here....and I've gone out to shoot a couple times with it....

but when I was reaching for one of the batteries for it saturday, I knocked it off the desk (~ 2.5 feet). I picked it up, tried to take a shot, and to my surprise...it took it, with no CF card in. I shrugged it off, put it down, then went about my business....

two minutes later, I throw a CF card in and go to look at one of the pictures on it...the LCD won't turn on. I then try to take a shot, nothing...won't shoot at all. take the CF card out, seems to work fine, in...broken.

so the CF card slot, or something bad has gone wrong, because Nikon Capture won't even recognize the camera....the CF card is fine....

needless to say, it went off to Nikon yesterday

I just want to say, Built like a tank my ass....

I do not care what anyone says, DSLR camera are still pretty fragile.....

darktiger said:
I do not care what anyone says, DSLR camera are still pretty fragile.....
I agree with some of the older ones. But I have slammed my D50 pretty good and, it still shoots just fine.

Sorry to hear you camera died, you got a great deal on it by the way :). My Digital Rebel XT fell off my desk on to a hard linoleum, and there was no sign of any damage and it still works great.

well, im sorry too that the camera is broke. Sometimes, a certain fall just the right way will break even things you'd never suspect. I agree on the deal you got--it was a good one.

Could you fix it locally? Good luck dude.

$387.50 to fix....Locally is the same story.

F. that, I can get another one in even better condition for ~$100 less than that.

Nikon is shipping it back, and I'm shopping for another D1(H). In the mean time, I will be opening this one up and praying its just a loose connection.

The thing that sucks is: I got a chance to go shoot with it. Now I'm stuck, I NEED a pro body, I can't go back :(

4b5eN+EE said:
The thing that sucks is: I got a chance to go shoot with it. Now I'm stuck, I NEED a pro body, I can't go back :(

Which is exactly why I don't even want to touch a pro body. I am in an almost constant state of lens lust, I don't need body lust on top of it.

methocl said:
Which is exactly why I don't even want to touch a pro body. I am in an almost constant state of lens lust, I don't need body lust on top of it.
yes you do... :p

just dream of that 1Ds Mark II....with that huge sensor, and all those sexy megapixels.
or if you like Nikon: the D2Xs with the solid metal body construction. :p

I got sucked in a while ago, when my g/fs grandfather let me play around with his F5. :(

I got $350 to spend on a D1 series body...its tough finding them this cheap...I got really lucky last time and found a dutch auction that started at $150, for 6 D1s!

methocl said:

You dont be in a constant state of lens lust. Just drop 10k the first time around and you should be set for a very very long time. :)

darktiger said:
You dont be in a constant state of lens lust. Just drop 10k the first time around and you should be set for a very very long time. :)
agreed, but you have to have a body that can at least hold a candle to the lens you put on it :p

darktiger said:

Actually, just got the Nikkor 18-200mm VR, so that should tide me over for a while. It does 90% of what I need to do. And I have my 50 f/1.8 for any low light stuff. Though I could probably spend 10k real easy ;)

methocl said:
Actually, just got the Nikkor 18-200mm VR, so that should tide me over for a while. It does 90% of what I need to do. And I have my 50 f/1.8 for any low light stuff. Though I could probably spend 10k real easy ;)
bastard! :eek:
i've only got a 50mm 1.8

I dream of a 80-400mm VR and/or a 70-200mm VR

methocl said:

Great lens for a Nikon. I am trying to tell my friend that he needs it for his D70s

woo...just got the go ahead to buy a D1H for $425 shipped.

Includes 2 batteries, and a charger, which would put me up to 5 batteries, 2 chargers...so I'm gonna sell one or 2 batteries and a charger...then I'll have this camera for around $300...:p

Back