badblocks on new hdd

Kelvarr

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got a new 4TB hard drive, and want to run badblocks before I put it into action. Is a 1-pass or 2-pass sufficient, or should I just do the default of 4-pass?

I always do the 4 pass. Even though it may take 40+ hours on a 4TB or greater drive.

I always do the 4 pass. Even though it may take 40+ hours on a 4TB or greater drive.

Just a follow-up...emphasis on the "+" in your statement.

I started badblocks (once I figured out I had a RAM problem) Monday morning at 2am. I checked on it this morning (7am), and it was just finishing the verification of the 2nd pass. This was 30 hours in. It looks like a 4TB drive will take ~60 hours to finish. 0/0/0 errors.

I was also surprised that I had 0 reallocated sectors (I ran smartctl -A /dev/sdX). I thought most drives had some, even when brand new.

Then I get to dd_rescue a couple of drives to it.

Just a follow-up...emphasis on the "+" in your statement.

5XXX RPM drive?

I was also surprised that I had 0 reallocated sectors (I ran smartctl -A /dev/sdX). I thought most drives had some, even when brand new.

You will not see that anymore or at least I have not on the last 200 to 300 hard drives I have purchased.

All drives will come from the factory with 0 reallocated sectors in their SMART. I am not sure if they just set the 0 to zero or there really are no reallocated sectors on the platters.

Back