Bad WiFi Bluetooth Card?

Epos7

Gawd
I've run into an issue I'm not sure how to diagnose. I have a system built in an NCASE that uses an Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

I've had a mouse and an Xbox controller connected via Bluetooth for a while without issues. Just a few days ago I started having problems with devices randomly disconnecting. I first noticed it playing Destiny 2, and I wondered if the Intel card was overheating, but it's also happened when I'm just browsing the internet and the computer isn't generating much heat at all. It does seem to happen more frequently when I'm playing Destiny, possibly because there are two devices connected (controller and mouse) instead of just one.

I've uninstalled the Bluetooth drivers and installed the ones Intel provides. I haven't changed the hardware in my computer or installed any new software recently.

Five days ago Windows Reliability Monitor reported a hardware error:

Source
Windows
Summary
Hardware error
Date
‎10/‎29/‎2018 7:17 PM
Status
Report sent
Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 15e
Parameter 1: 30
Parameter 2: ffff91810e5a21a0
Parameter 3: ffff91810b4de300
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_17134
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: LKD_0x15E_Mini_Nbl_Leak_IMAGE_Netwbw02.sys

Ten minutes after the hardware error Windows Update installed two updates. One of them is called "XboxGamingOverlay".

So I'm guessing it's either a piece of hardware gone bad - either the WiFi/BT card or the motherboard, or Windows Update broke something.

I ended up replacing the Intel 7260 with the original included Broadcom card. I downloaded the Bluetooth drivers from ASRock and am back in business.

My Bluetooth device was out of battery, so I also replaced the batteries in that. I think what was happening is the device was dying from low power, and for whatever reason the Intel drivers didn't know how to handle it, causing my computer to lock up. The Intel card never had an issue with other Bluetooth devices, but for whatever reason this one (Xbox One wireless controller) really tripped it up.

Back