Bad VRAM on a 8800gts?????

I have this 8800GTS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130080

Can a corrupt install of video drivers (158.22, XP SP2) imitate damaged vram? After a freah install of the newest 8800(gts) drivers, I installed Medieval II TW.

Today upon playing, I got a temporary spiked graphical glitch like this, only it was based off of a unit of soldiers and moved with the RTS Camera, but was tiny compared to the ones in this pic. This is only an example of the TYPE of glitch I saw upon immediately loading up a scenerio:

WoWScrnShot_080706_163628.jpg

I've never overclocked the card, BTW. Typically idles from 56C-62C. Load is about 80C.

So, again, can drivers cause this error too (besides dying vram??)...

why don't you try uninstalling your current drivers, restart, use driver cleaner, reboot, and install the drivers from the nvdia site

I would say its most likely the Driver ....I had a new 8600GTS that is in my back up Pc do that (Exact same thing )in Tombraider X64bit Xp pro.....Unistalled the 158.19 driver and reinstalled and no more problem.....

If your memory was going id say you would probally see way more lil dots and worse Tearing ,It very well could be that the driver didnt install clean .....Make shure you Have Dx9c or Dx10 updates for Xp or Vista .... Ive read where the 158.22 driver has conflicted with DX9/10 after the most recent DX update under Sp2....But i have not seeing this with my 8800GTS and ive run the 158.19 and currently on the 158.22 with the most recent DXupdate with Sp2 and have had zero issues..

Again i would just try Reinstalling your 158.22 driver or see if it (dosnt )act up with the 97.78 driver ..

Hope this helps

I've had artifacting like that in spiderman 3, not that bad though. I'm using the same drivers... Every other game runs fine for me, have you by any chance tested other games?

try running a couple games.. if its bad VRAM it will show up in multiple games.. some games it wont show though.. I had a dying video card that did that.. showed up in STALKER and supreme commander.. but not much else. not sure why.. just the way they render things I guess.

i had this happen on stalker in my laptop on a 7600gt, 800x600 max settings outside while it was raining. i think it was just heat related.

try running a couple games.. if its bad VRAM it will show up in multiple games.. some games it wont show though.. I had a dying video card that did that.. showed up in STALKER and supreme commander.. but not much else. not sure why.. just the way they render things I guess.

NFSMW & Doom 3 ran just fine, so I think its the drivers. *Whew*

Thanks to all for the comments. I'll try uninstall, driver cleaner, re-install tomorrow.

*Just for the record... I don't play WoW!

Back