Bad video quality

adamadekat

Gawd
I have a VX2025 monitor. How come when I play any DVD fullscreen on my computer, the picture quality is decreased...I can only play it looking in its perfect glory at a very small window size. Is there any way to fix this?

Hmm... I'm not sure of the exact problem, but I can tell you that it's almost certainly not with your monitor. The issue probably lies in how your PC is working with video. I'd try some other DVD playing programs, see how they look.

I'm assuming that your DVD content is SD movie (480i), and not some internet downloaded 600 MB video file-- is that right?

First, adjust your screen to match the aspect ratio of the movie-- 6:9. You will see some letter boxing ( 1" or so top and bottom) as your screen aspect ratio is 6:10. That will eliminate the vertical stretching.

To make further and the most important suggestions, I will need to know what video card, media player and DVD decoder you are using. Basically, you need to make sure that you are achieving good deinterlacing, upscaling/acceleration. Hardware acceleration is the easiest way to go-- meaning a modern video card.

I'm using a store bought DVD. Well as you know I have a Viewsonic VX2025 20.1" Widescreen monitor. I have an Nvidia 6600 and I'm using WinDVD.

A lot of people think that the NV Purevideo decoder is the best. You can download a 30-day tial from the Nvidia web site. If you decide to buy it, and not using for HTPC purposes, the 15$ bronze version is all you need. This decoder improved PQ for DVD playback in my system, but I'm using it with WMP 11 (works fine with WMP 19 also). I did have to delete WinDVD, however, because the DVD decoder it uses was conflicting with the PureVieso decoder.

One more thought: I seem to remember reading somewhere that the NV 6600 card had some issues related to hardware acceleration. You may want to do a little research in that area- please don't assume that I'm correct on that matter. I'm usually wrong more often than right-- you know the type that is always giving advice to everyone

Back