• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bad Speaker Wire

mastephens

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
250
I have Creative s700's and I have some serious ringing coming from the rear speakers when they output in the mid to high range. I have swapped the speakers around but the ringing still comes from the rears. I am pretty sure it is not my X-fi Platinum, so that leaves my sub and the wires. Is it possible for speakers wires to create a ringing that is output by the speakers?
 
is there anything that could cause interference (flourescent lights, TV, etc.) around the wires or speakers? This could cause hissing.

Also, are you using onboard sound?

EDIT: X-fi platinum /= onboard sound
 
All of the wire is directly behind the sub and then it is hidden under the molding where the carpet is. The only thing that I can think of is that the rear speaker wires were damaged when I hid the wires. And yes, I do have an X-fi Platinum.
 
Bad speaker wire probably isn't going to do something like that. What I would probably do is unplug all the speakers from the sub, then plug the front speakers (using your current front speaker wire) into the rear outputs on the sub and see if the whine continues. My guess is that it will.

If it does, then you have to determine if it's the sound card, the sub/amp, or whatever cable you have going from the sound card to the sub.

If it doesn't, then I'd look for sources of electrical interference, especially something magnetic... fans, fluorescent lights, pumps, etc. You can always replace the speaker cable with new unhidden cable and see if that resolves the issue.

The idea is to rule things out one by one and isolate the problem as much as possible. By plugging the front speakers, which are known good speakers with known good wire, into the rear outputs, you can isolate it to either "before the wire" or "after the wire." By replacing the rear speaker cable you can either rule out the speaker wire or determine that it is the speaker wire. Etc etc.
 
After testing and retesting and testing it some more, I have finally determined that it is the sound card. If I move the speaker wires around on the sub, I still get the distortion. If I move the speakers to different wires, I still get the distortion. If I use different wire going from the computer to the sub, I still get the distortion. Only by accident did I change the setting in the audio panel to 2.1 speakers rather than 5.1, and to my amazement, the distortion was coming from the front speakers now. So obviously it is my sound card and has been all along. The strange part is that in the very beginning I hooked my headphones to the rear speaker jack on the sound card and the headphone jack on the front drive, but I never got any distortion from that. So that led me to believe that it was something other that the sound card. Hopefully I can RMA it and get a new one. I bought it from Buy.com, so should I contact them or Creative? Thanks for everyone's help.
 
Back
Top