Bad speaker or bad wire?

Mr. Wolf

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 8, 2006
Messages
7,162
Here's a new one, at least for me...

For some reason, my receiver keeps shutting off every time I try listening to anything from my PC. Also, there's barely any sound from the right channel; left seems fine. I disconnected the right channel's wires from my receiver and the shut-offs ended. The left sound is fine, too. Just for kicks, I connected my speakers to a different receiver -- same thing happened.

My question: Is the problem in my speaker or the wire? This just started happening today. I thought I had a receiver problem until I tried the 2nd receiver. I'm using a Yamaha RX-V990 and a new pair of X-LS bookshelves connected by new Monster cables.

Thanks for any/all advice!
 
The wire would be a problem if it is shorting out. As for the speakers themselves if you blow them out almost always they won't auto shut off the amp. I'm guessing your amp isn't shutting off because of over heating, unless you managed to wire your speakers at a 2ohms or lower. I would try a seperate pair of speakers, and new wire first.
 
Bad speaker :(

The woofer's voice coil has a short, according to AV123's tech support.
 
That sucks, it usually doesn't cost much to fix that but, shipping is the killer. I can have a 1600$ amp and it only costs 150$ to repair but it costs damn near that much just to ship the thing in, just crazy i tell you.
 
Yeah, it definitely blows. Fortunately, they're only a week old so AV123 is gonna ship a new pair and pick up mine... all for free. Pretty good customer support!
 
Same thing happened to my AVR-320. One of my HTD lvl 3s woofers was blown, the spider failed and the voice coil rubbed against the magnet until it shorted. Needless to say, my reciever would only go to -10 volume before the damn thing shut off. I thought it was a problem with the amp, but it was actually causing the protection circuitry on the Harman Kardon to activate and turn off the amp.
 
It's nice to see good customer support now a days, with so many companies skimping on it should make the few that have it stand out. But then usually the price tag stands out.
 
Back
Top