• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

bad sound card?

murky44

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
367
I got an Asus Xonar D2X here, whenever I turn on my computer after being off for a while, the sound will make this incredibly high pitched shrill noise whenever a sound is played, and the computer would lock up on me completely, forcing me to turn it off, wait a bit, and turn it back on.
Just pressing the restart button doesn't work. I actually have to turn it off completely and turn it back on. After that it works like a charm.

I RMA'd it to Asus, and they just sent it back without ANY explanation as to what they did, and to be honest, it doesn't look like they did anything at all. It still makes that nasty noise and locks up the computer. Even the cust. service rep. said he had absolutely no info on what they did, if anything at all.

Does anybody have any idea as to what the problem may be with the card?

Thanks.
 
well, send it back to them and demand they actually repair it, or document it

if they're refusing to support it, hopefully you bought it somewhere like newegg, at which point you send it back to them and say the manufacturer is refusing to honor their warranty, and you'd like the component replaced or your money back or something that otherwise satisfies you (basically customer service)

yeah, it sounds like either the card is borked or you've got a drivers problem (you didn't mention what OS you're using), you can re-load drivers and try that, better than nothing chance it'll work

side question:
try this with your onboard sound, does it still screech and lock up? (try the D2X in another box, while you're at it)
 
I know I'm bringing back an old thread of mine, but I was finally able to test the D2X in another computer of mine, and it actually worked fine.

In my own system, I'm using Windows 7 with the latest Xonar drivers. It doesn't lock up when I use my SupremeFX card that came with my Maximus II.

I think I narrowed the culprit down to that stupid floppy connector. I don't know why, but the floppy connectors on the ends of the power cables of the HX1000W seem really loose while connected to the card, while the connector of my other comp seems pretty snug.

I tried booting up without the floppy connector plugged in, and my system didn't lock up. Could this be the reason? Are the connectors on my power supply cables just bad for the sound card connector?
 
Electrical issue of some sort. Try removing the motherboard from the case and reseating it. Then if possible put the sound card in a different expansion slot. Also if possible try a different power supply.

Note that the sound card is just amplifying whatever crap is on the signal line. It doesn't necessarily mean that the sound card is at fault. An analog audio signal is just voltage that changes at the frequency of the desired sound. I've had some weird start-up issues with Asus boards and particularly the Maximus II.
 
Back
Top