Bad sectors and damaged sectors.....

SomeGuy133

2[H]4U
Okay so for retail drives of Toshiba from newegg I have had great success with the first 14 drive with 0 signs of any issues but this batch I have gotten bad sectors on brand new retail drives. (retail box..not OEM and in very good packaging from newegg)

Should I use them or try RMA? Can you RMA with only bad sectors?

This is finally going into my SnapRAID lawls...i know i am slow on getting this done.

Damaged sector. One of my HGST has a damaged sector after test finished......so what does that mean and what should I do? Either that same HGST or a different one while the test was going had 3 but at the end of the test it has 0 or 1 damaged sector. So the second pass it droped to 1 or 0.

Drives damaged sectors
HGST 0
HGST 0
HGST 0 (might have been 3)
HGST 1 (might have been 3)

this is what i mean. one has 1 damaged sector but as the test was going drive 3 or 4 had 3 damaged sectors but after test finished only 1 drive has 1 damaged sector with 100% health. I am thinking after second pass the damage sector vanished. Normal?

Drives with bad sectors.
Toshiba 8
Toshiba 8
Toshiba 24
Toshiba 24

WILH6mr.png

Last edited:
I think they will tell you to run the long test which actually zeros out the sector. I had a bad secor 1 and it would work sometimes and not others because the MBR is stored also at the end of the drive as well but it was iffy so I did the long test and the bad sectors were mapped out, but then the drive became entirely unuseable for some reason and would not even detect.

When the drive gets a hard error it will remap those sectors in real time. I have a perfectly working drive with 32000 bad sectors, it used to go up by a dozen a day but now has stopped.. Since it is working fine I have not done a long test on it.. This is why when you change the circuit board you have to also flash the PROM on the circuit board because of the logical reallocations of those bad sectors. This does not show up in the smart but there are a few programs that will read the data and tell you. The drive has a few tracks which store such data on the disk as well. I think this is specific to the model so the program has to know about your particular drive. Also Very hard to get a bad sector on HGST drives. I got errors galore with IBM drives but never seen one on an HGST even if I drop it,, so I think they only display errors when they are out of spare sectors unlike others who tell you about it once it is factory mapped. But do run some kind of long test to see if they get mapped out. No such thing as an error free drive these days. A dot the size of hair means like 256 bad sectors. Dont crystal disk mark mark the drive as Caution? Drives which show 0 bad sectors in smart would have millions of bad sectors since they map out entire tracks if it has many bad sectors as it affects the drive transfer speeds a lot..

Smart also has the current pending sector count which says it has bad sectors to be mapped out. It will do that when you write data to that sector as it was unable to read the sector and got a hard error which unlike a soft error is not recoverable.

Last edited:
I think they will tell you to run the long test which actually zeros out the sector. I had a bad secor 1 and it would work sometimes and not others because the MBR is stored also at the end of the drive as well but it was iffy so I did the long test and the bad sectors were mapped out, but then the drive became entirely unuseable for some reason and would not even detect.

When the drive gets a hard error it will remap those sectors in real time. I have a perfectly working drive with 32000 bad sectors, it used to go up by a dozen a day but now has stopped.. Since it is working fine I have not done a long test on it.. This is why when you change the circuit board you have to also flash the PROM on the circuit board because of the logical reallocations of those bad sectors. This does not show up in the smart but there are a few programs that will read the data and tell you. The drive has a few tracks which store such data on the disk as well. I think this is specific to the model so the program has to know about your particular drive. Also Very hard to get a bad sector on HGST drives. I got errors galore with IBM drives but never seen one on an HGST even if I drop it,, so I think they only display errors when they are out of spare sectors unlike others who tell you about it once it is factory mapped. But do run some kind of long test to see if they get mapped out. No such thing as an error free drive these days. A dot the size of hair means like 256 bad sectors. Dont crystal disk mark mark the drive as Caution? Drives which show 0 bad sectors in smart would have millions of bad sectors since they map out entire tracks if it has many bad sectors as it affects the drive transfer speeds a lot..

Smart also has the current pending sector count which says it has bad sectors to be mapped out. It will do that when you write data to that sector as it was unable to read the sector and got a hard error which unlike a soft error is not recoverable.
I did ran a 2 pass read write test....did you not look at spolier? It took 42/60 hours

Back