• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bad sector....well sectorSSSSSSSS...

legcramp

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
12,439
Well guys, one of my maxtor sata hard drive is now officially a bad sector drive..I ran fdisk and it detects bad sectors all over the place..I have nothing valuable on the drive..formatting now won't work ...with any programs...wut are my options?? formatting is a nono..even if i get it to format...I can turn off the computer..and move the hard drive around...it will just corrupt everything again... RMA is not an option...I checked maxtor's site and check to see if my drive is still under warranty..and it's a no... expireded in march 2005..and I got it in september 04.....blah w/e...I am just glad this wasn't an expensve drive..anyways..... should I toss it in the trash or wut.... great now I only have 80gig of total storage...gay...
 
Run maxblast and see if those errors are logical or physicals, if they are logicals then run a zero fill utility and wipe the full drive with 0´s, then fdisk/format again.

Hope this helps :D

0ldMX
 
If the drive has developed bad sectors, especially this soon, then you have a paperweight. The drive is mechanically faulty, and there is nothing you can do (for less than the cost of simply replacing it) to fix it. Look at some products from other makers if you are disappointed with Maxtor, but remember that any drive can go bad.
 
maxblast=freeze when i try to zero the drive...no use... my other maxtor is acting up too..they are both dead....I am using a 5 year old maxtor 15 gig ide drive...works VERY well...I am tossing the two 80 sata out...ripping the 160gig western digital from my download computer..and tossing the 15 gig in there...no more sata or maxtor for me.
 
WHAT THE HECK!!!

So I got mad and took the disk out...unplugged it..put it in my hand..and toss it up and down and spinned it in circles like I do to a basketball.. plugged it back in...and it works perfectly!!! even installs windows... whats going on? lol...
 
I wouldn't trust such a shady drive. throw it in the garbage. Doing anything less will only cause you pain and distress in the very near future.
 
well works just fine now :) I just can't use both at the same time...if I use both..one of them gets corrupted..and I believe it is the sata's chipset problem..O well I ma grab a pci add on card and be done..now I shall go play some BF2 :)
 
Back
Top