Bad Screen Flicker

MelonSplitter

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 6, 2006
Messages
1,141
I'm getting some bad screen flicker while gaming only. I am using the latest ATI drivers and the problem goes away when I Disable Catalst AI in the CCC panel. Its wierd because it was'nt doing this yesterday. My card is'nt OC'ed.
 
What type of a flicker? I noticed that when I would play games with dark settings (say Left 4 Dead etc.) if I had "Use Extended Display Identification Data (EDID)" checked under Avivo Color I would get a lot of flickering but with it off and colors set to the default 6500K it goes away.
 
It does'nt artifact like when you OC. Its like when a light bulb flickers when its on. It does'nt stay continuosly lit but flickers dim to bright. This is with all games. I am gonna try the 9.10 drivers and see if it goes away.
 
The issue you describe sounds just like what I experienced (I too have a 4870x2), I also could remove it by turning off Cat AI (which has the effect of turning your 4870x2 into a single 4870) I'd try turning off EDID, if that doesn't work or it's off now already I suggest using Driver Cleaner http://www.drivercleaner.net/ and cleaning out every single ATI driver/registry edit and then installing 100% clean to see if that works.

Aside from that only thing I can think of is your monitor is set to dynamic contrast or something and you might try turning that off.
 
I'm getting some bad screen flicker while gaming only. I am using the latest ATI drivers and the problem goes away when I Disable Catalst AI in the CCC panel. Its wierd because it was'nt doing this yesterday. My card is'nt OC'ed.

There's something weird going on with Catalyst AI in the latest 9.11. I had missing textures in Borderlands that could only be fixed by disabling Catalyst AI.
 
See if it's game specific, which is what I would imagine. Issue can also be driver specific even though you have the latest drivers. Saints Row 2 for instance has had crossfire broken since the 9.1 drivers. Anything after that has the screen flicker you're referring to and requires turning Catalyst A.I. off.
 
Its not game specific and no, am not running more than one monitor. I even tried the 9.10 drivers with no luck. Could it be my VC. Are there any other Utilities I could
use besides AtiTools that I could use to enable both cores with my X2.
 
Back
Top