Bad SATA port or failing controller?

Jaa-Yoo

Limp Gawd
So i came home on wednesday afternoon and my pc (which is on 24/7) is frozen. So i power cycle and upon post i noticed my windows drive only showed a few characters in its name... odd. I powered it off and checked the connections, powered it back up, post went fine and windows booted. All was fine until i started running programs, i would get mouse pauses and when i moved a small file between drives it took forever. So, i ran a benchmark and got this horrible result.
my.php

After some troubleshooting, i changed the drive to a different port and got a normal reslt.
my.php

Ive changed ports and cables and the drive works fine, its just that one port thats giving the problem. Could the port have some physical damage that i cant see, or could it be the controller thats failing? The other drives in the system are running fine though.

It sounds like the IO circuit for that port is gone. If you have narrowed it down to only 1 bad port, count your lucky stars and continue using the system.

If it was the controller, I doubt it would be confined to just one port.

The problem is most likely a bad solder joint for the socket. I've never looked closely at how sata connectors are attached, but I very much doubt it would be fixable. It could also be the buffer circuitry for that socket on the MOBO. Again, not reasonably fixable.

Don

Try another drive (that hasnt got valuable data on it) on that port and see if it also develops a problem.

Yep, same problem with different drive. I guess that port just has some damage. Oh well, thats all the excuse i need to upgrade the mobo. hehe :)

Back