Bad Router Signal

GDstew4

[H]ard|Gawd
I've owned a Dlink DI-524 for about 2 yrs and didn't have any problems with it. I haven't used it for about a year and, after purchasing a Wii, I put it back into the mix so I could get my buddy list going.

Router seems to be working fine other than the fact that it's broadcast radius is now about 0-6 inches. Even when that close, my signal is about 20%.

I've tried just about every trick in the book to get a reliable signal but I'm wondering about one thing: I'm not sure where the original power adapter is and just used one from an old cable modem. I know that the + and - thing is correct, (-)=[o=(+), but on the router it say 5V/2.5A, I believe, and on the adapter it says 9V.

Could this be a cause of my less-than-stellar signal? Do I need to try to find the original power adapter?

Could it be that since the 9V adapter I tried was 600mA, and the original 5V adapter was 2.5A, it's not getting what it needs for a strong signal?

Um. You need to use the correct power adapter. Using one that is stronger or weaker could not only fry your router, but run it hot and cause a fire.

That would be the cause of your problem. Replacing it with the correct adapter may work, if you didn't fry the router already.

Back