Bad resource sharing from router?

Jakalwarrior

2[H]4U
I used to be able to download things and still play games, browse etc... relatively lag free. But now for some odd reason when I download anything my ping in games goes up to 5000ms+, so does my wifes (also on the router) and even web pages become very slow, yahoo messenger drops my connection etc...

It was just bit torrent and so I thought maybe my isp discriminated against bit torrent traffic but it seems to be any download or other bandwidth heavy task now.

I dug through all of the router settings. Couldn't find anything that looked like it could be the source of the problem (dunno how a setting would have changed its self anyway). Nothing helps.

The only other noteworthy recent change is that my bandwidth is gimpy, Down to 2200kbits, used to be run at a bit above the 3meg level.

I figure either my router needs to be replaced as it is slightly finicky. Sometimes it stops giving out IPs and has to be unplugged before it will act right again. Also it sometimes decides to stop allowing certain pages to connect. Same solution. But its never done this before.
OR
Bellsouth gimped my internet after they had an outage recently. Maybe they broke some crap and are routing my area through some bottleneck and decided to cap us.

Anyone know how I can figure out which one it is so I know whether to buy a new router or call and curse at bellsouth?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. The router is a Linksys BEF11s4 v.4. If my entire post structure seems a bit garbled im sorry, long day.

On an unrelated side note I applied for a job there too recently for their DSL tech support lol. They led me on for a month, I passed all their tests with enough time to count the ceiling tiles, then they turned me down. Same with my friend who has 3 years in tech support. Think they want un-experienced people they can pay the base of 10/hr. Go go quality tech support!, but thats cool I found a better job.

Connect a computer directly to the DSL modem. If you see your niormal level of performance return, then you have a router problem.

Connect a computer directly to the DSL modem. If you see your niormal level of performance return, then you have a router problem.

But make sure your machine is updated first and turn on your Windows firewall at the least. Protect yourself while you're directly connected.

Been dreading that since it would involve calling bellsouth to get my password (modem is just a passthrough, all info is login info is ***** in router and not in my memory lol). Guess there isnt much else I can do though.

No worries on security though, my router doesnt even have a firewall. I handle that on each individual computer with sygate and avg.

Back